Heretic Loudspeaker A612 Clone

Magenta original XO

1.png

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering about that, looks like he flipped the image so we could trace it easier.
If you look at the component side the tweeter terminals are on the bottom right. Amp +/- near the mounting hole.
The tweeter terminals are on the bottom right- flipped image.
The Zap straps Larger Coil on the left, Smaller Coil on the right.

Normal back & top pcb.
View attachment 1277712
View attachment 1277716
Flipped pcb image
View attachment 1277717
from post #88 Try this & apply to the crossover on post #27 or #66
Backside flipped (image supplied), count on the back: Left side bottom to top components 1-6 ( #1-8.2uf, #2 -1.6 mH,#3-10 uf,#4-1.6mH,#5 Res,#6-Res.)
Right Side 7-12 top to bottom (#7-Res,#8-Res,#9-.62mH,#10-.62mH,#11-10uF,#12-8.2uf

Woofer - negative see post #65
View attachment 1277728
Yes indeed. I flipped the solderside to make it easier for you guys. Mybee that was not such a good idea without telling so? My bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hej all, you suppose ad614, the smaller one, uses the same crossover? Also wondering why heretic chose to put the same 12" into the bigger cabinet as well, where faital offers a 15" from the same series? Maybe that one suffers more from cone breakup around crossover region?
Looks like the same crossover & drivers.

Heretic AD614 (smaller Box- smaller Price)
spec 1.7 kHZ crossover
Components
  • 303 Heretic coaxial transducer
  • Low frequencies : 12 in. high power, low frequency transducer
  • High frequencies : 1 in. coaxial compression driver
  • Horn profile : Short exponential.
    • Frequency response : 45 Hz to 22 000 Hz
    • typical room response 35 Hz to 20 000 Hz
  • Dimensions : 25,5 in. high, 18,75 in. wide, 14.5 in. depth ; 65 cm high, 48 cm wide, 37 cm deep
  • Weight : 43 lbs / 20 kg
  • Volume : 3 cubic feet, 85 litres
https://www.mcleans.info/products/heretic-ad614
-----------------------------------
Heretic AD612 (larger Box- larger Price)
spec 1.7 kHZ crossover
Components
  • 303 Heretic coaxial transducer
  • Low frequencies : 12 in. high power, low frequency transducer
  • High frequencies : 1 in. coaxial compression driver
  • Horn profile : Short exponential.
    • Frequency response : 40 Hz to 22 000 Hz
    • typical room response : 32 Hz to 20 000 Hz
Dimensions : 30,25 in. high, 25,5 in. wide, 17.75 in. depth ; 77 cm high, 65 cm wide, 45 cm deep
  • Weight : 68 lbs / 40 kg
  • Volume : 7 cubic feet, 198 litres
https://www.mcleans.info/products/heretic-ad612?_pos=1&_sid=ce787f6c3&_ss=r

------------------
https://allhomecinema.com/review-he...novation-and-a-sonic-journey/?id=100993459522

Heretic AD614
Heretic-A614-Speakers-12.jpg

-------------
example - different box sizes bass reflex Vifa M25W0-49-08, page 2
http://www.sea.vg/vifa/M25WO-49-08.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for this, indeed it looks like the same spec. It feels however terribly inefficient - over 2x the box volume to get possibly a quarter of an octave lower extension, surely it must be more? AFAIK, historically, the 612 cabinet was predominately used with 15" woofers. I wonder if the 12" faital is simply much more coherent than its bigger brother.

This reminds me of Hiraga´s seminal Le Petit design, which also uses an oversized reflex box for the tiny FE103 Sigma. Beyond simply reaching lower, is there some sort of qualitative effect that happens, when a much bigger box (than what driver specs would suggest) is used?

Very interesting project; about the Faital 12HX230
I think it acutally cant be a 12HX230 and has to be either the 240 or 500 because only those have inside of the 3 rings a shiny ring arround the cone which can be seen in every mock up of the 614 and 612 and also in this video:

Despite of that the 12HX230 and 12HX240 seem to be very similar in specs.

Hello, does someone build the clone? Or Listen to the 12hx230 and can tell something about the sound? Thx!!

dome months ago, in an other thread, i read that is Very hard to manage with passive crossover cause of peak and dip, and in particular for the very different dispersion between woofer and driver in cross point region (1.7 kHz).

Last edited:
I have made a different version in a taller Tannoy Chatsworth style cabinet, as I have some old Tannoy 12" drivers in the original poorly constructed/weak and damaged Tannoy cabinet. I did this so that I can eventually swap baffle and drivers to see which one is the better and keep that option.

All of my listening and measurements have been against one loudspeaker up to now

What do I think to the sound?
Its passable and can be listened to for several hours a day, it has detail, but you will possibly be aware of the sound of the large paper driver and the cabinet. There is no escaping the sound of a cabinet.
Acoustic instrument sound nice helped by the extra something of a larger driver, they convey musicians playing together on good recordings, you can her the occasional I never heard that before on the odd occasion.
The treble once adjusted for level which is a pain and probably sensible to use an adjustable L pad is again adequate. The treble may not be the most refined compared to a beryllium or textreme tweeter.
In terms of measurements its a fairly bumpy ride in terms of the frequency response and some people would dismiss it immediately for this.

The serial crossover aspect is interesting and the values put forward for the clone look like they work and will give you a copy of the design. Do Heretic use a different driver or specify a different tweeter material or horn shape who knows?

If the price for a pair of drivers seems reasonable and you can afford the cost of the other materials I think it offers good value for money, i guess it also goes loud which I haven't explored it does work with ACA, 300Bs plus pioneer A300R which I use for the majority of my testing.
If you can find a better performing co axial especially one with a smoother HF horn response then it would think it would have a nicer response pattern and consequently may sound that bit nicer all of the time. There is a BMS driver which caught my eye but it more expensive and seems to be out of stock at present.
Graphs are freq in room at slightly over 1metre, THD, 2nd, and 3rd harmonic distortion at 3rd octave.
Maybe two more weeks before both cabinets up and running simultaneously.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 171032.png

Last edited by a moderator: