Help to choose the ultimate midrange driver

Hello!

I like the flexunits and i am very happy that i did not buy a dome or something like that

Now, i was adviced to cross it at 300hz.
I think it sounds best around 370 hz because the sound is so much more dyamnic when the 15" is allowed to go up a little bit.

I put a separate coomputer in the electronics room and a dac, that made the sound alot better,
(Dacs, i dont know what to look for here but that is another story)

Still dont have the Accoustic elegance drivers so we will se when they arrive

Now i have some leftovers:

4 channel amp "T-AMP 1 pcs

SOMTAK 15" 2pcs
VISATON T100 2pcs
Eminence kilomax 18 2pcs
Lanzar 15" 2pcs
B&C de 250 2pcs
18" ported box 200 liters 2 pcs
15 ported box 160 liters

I was thinking about building a system

Should i make a passive system? since i tried out crossover frequencies i have an idea of where to begin.

visaton T100 and somtak 15" is possible to match but the B&C de250 is very sensitive.

or should i make another active system?
I am thinking about having in the spa but i am not sure how these drivers will handle the humidity

Best of sundays too you friends

I like the flexunits and i am very happy that i did not buy a dome or something like that

Now, i was adviced to cross it at 300hz.
I think it sounds best around 370 hz because the sound is so much more dyamnic when the 15" is allowed to go up a little bit.

Nice! :) Do they give you the subjective sound you were looking for?

Cross it where and how it sounds best. ;)

Note: typically you want your woofer closer to the floor (in relation to floor bounce) when having a higher freq. low-pass. (..though I personally like woofers at least a foot off of the floor, and I like loudspeakers with at least 6 inches of "air-space" - as on a small stand, between the loudspeaker and the floor).

Viper
Thank you, if you are passing by gothenburg come and have a listen sometime.

Scott
Nice! Do they give you the subjective sound you were looking for?

I can increase the volume and it brings a powerful but soft sound. I think i am breaking them in still because i believe the volume has increased since i plug them in first time.
Maybe it's too early to say but i think the sound is rich and very nice.

Cross it where and how it sounds best.
i think the big benefit with my system is that i can't write any Crossover and all my drivers have a very Wide frequency response.

It's a very good sound coming out of this speakers.
Makes my old systems feel like streaming music from the smartphone speaker

Note: typically you want your woofer closer to the floor (in relation to floor bounce) when having a higher freq. low-pass. (..though I personally like woofers at least a foot off of the floor, and I like loudspeakers with at least 6 inches of "air-space" - as on a small stand, between the loudspeaker and the floor).

I had no idea about this.
I am of course curious how you would design the perfect box for this because i could use my boxes for another room and i have more 15 inch drivers.

I do you use a subwoofer. The. Infinite baffle in the attic.

Nice! :) Do they give you the subjective sound you were looking for?

Cross it where and how it sounds best. ;)

I lost Hope of getting my woofers that i ordered many months Ago.
Does any of you have another suggestion for 15" drivers?

If i put 2 woofers in the box and put it on s stand at least One of them could be closer to the floor

Yeah, AE has very often been unreliable with respect to shipping product (in any reasonable time-frame). :eek:

Woofer or Woofers, depends on what you want (+ how much you are willing to spend) and what sort of size cabinet you are willing to accommodate.

IF you are using a powered subwoofer(s), then you have a pretty large field to select from.

If you are "active" for the woofer with eq.. then you have an even larger field to select from.

-so basically how much money to spend, how large in cabinet size, how deep (in freq.), do you have eq. available?

My "gut" instinct says go for 2 vertical parallel connected 16 ohm 12PR320 (which would give you a "ton" of headroom to connect to your midrange and effectively lower harmonic distortion when matching to your midrange), in a bass-reflex design (though mechanically it would "look" more like a sealed design):

Speaker FaitalPRO 12PR320, 16 ohm, 12 inch

-though that still depends on the factors above.

Last edited:
Before I read the thread I just wanted to state that you are asking for a midrange.....and you have a pair of 15m's.....how how are you running them? you didn't like the horn/cd combo....that was your tweeter.....15m's are highly regarded, at least I am hopeful with my build where the 15m is my scheduled midbass from ~80hz-400hz....

I'm assuming that you are set up to have a proper system (ie. active eq for voicing as well as crossover)

OK I read a good part before add happened...but I feel like I caught some repeatables...it was suggested that your eq might be the weak link, though I have no inclination, what is the exact model, that we may investigate its abilities?

If the eq is weak then is it possible your first choice of tweeter might not have been used to its potential...we have a whole thread of users commenting on horns being their favorite but only when its done right...can we see some fr measurements of the horn/cd combo as you played it? Whats the horn btw (very important)?

AMT tweeters have always been a favorite of mine, The Beyma is very well received by the community and it seems you have fallen in love. The Beyma is likely to need much less eq initially, so if you never voiced the compression driver properly, how could it compare?

You are going to run the 15m to ~300hz, thats about where I am aiming as well...(400hz)....
I have been brainstorming a devils advocate Mid/HF section for my design in progress, and after reading your thread I just envisioned a MTM with ATC SM75-150S for the mids and whatever top performing tweeter in the middle...the 380hz recommended crossover could be lowered to 300hz , in pairs...maybe it could work with both ATC's side by side under the beyma?
I guess you could also just run one ATC SM75-150S...you can cross the 15m all the way to ~573hz before concern with the polar...crossing at 380hz shouldn't be an issue....I think this is the best choice. If not this, I thought everyone was so in love with the purfi woofers? I personally would want a 12" woofer, it can be crossed fine at 300hz to the 15" and 1000hz to the Beyma

More great input❤️
Doing some procurement tonight so ill get back here tomorrow.

Tempting with duoble 15" drivers in the current cabinets or simply building more cabinets with stands.

Domes is something i first looked at and probably would have ordered.

First i Read many People cross the 15m at 1000hz to a b&c de250
Than i learned alot lower is more ideal.

☺️

You can put a chair closer and angle the speakers in and try listen in a symetrical triangle. If you like it you may spread the speakers and damping the side walls. I like the how the stereo blooms up in a symetrical. Just a tip.

Hard to damp the room because of Windows, i even made the boxes with an angle so it could be parallel to the wall but firing 20 degrees from it

I Will defenetely try your advice moving around, have the listening chair already

OK I read a good part before add happened...but I feel like I caught some repeatables...it was suggested that your eq might be the weak link, though I have no inclination, what is the exact model, that we may investigate its abilities?

If the eq is weak then is it possible your first choice of tweeter might not have been used to its potential...we have a whole thread of users commenting on horns being their favorite but only when its done right...can we see some fr measurements of the horn/cd combo as you played it? Whats the horn btw (very important)?

AMT tweeters have always been a favorite of mine, The Beyma is very well received by the community and it seems you have fallen in love. The Beyma is likely to need much less eq initially, so if you never voiced the compression driver properly, how could it compare?

You are going to run the 15m to ~300hz, thats about where I am aiming as well...(400hz)....
I have been brainstorming a devils advocate Mid/HF section for my design in progress, and after reading your thread I just envisioned a MTM with ATC SM75-150S for the mids and whatever top performing tweeter in the middle...the 380hz recommended crossover could be lowered to 300hz , in pairs...maybe it could work with both ATC's side by side under the beyma?
I guess you could also just run one ATC SM75-150S...you can cross the 15m all the way to ~573hz before concern with the polar...crossing at 380hz shouldn't be an issue....I think this is the best choice. If not this, I thought everyone was so in love with the purfi woofers? I personally would want a 12" woofer, it can be crossed fine at 300hz to the 15" and 1000hz to the Beyma

Well ill see if i can get some measurements

The beyma sounds best from 3000hz i think

Never did a fair comparison with the de250,

I like the flexunits really, in looking at their 15"drivers also now.

Or 4 faital 15"

My EQ is behringer dbx LE version , it's a very nice device, the waeakness is that i didn't manage phases yet so i don't know if it is right

Sound is great

What characteristics do you expext from an atc midrange some?

Yeah, AE has very often been unreliable with respect to shipping product (in any reasonable time-frame). :eek:

Woofer or Woofers, depends on what you want (+ how much you are willing to spend) and what sort of size cabinet you are willing to accommodate.

I have no problem with really high towers but rather not to Wide. I think 15" midbass is a Good idea but honestly 4of those plus subs, isnt that too much.
I understand you recommend 12"
I am pretty tolerant with high costs if it gives a wow feeling.

IF you are using a powered subwoofer(s), then you have a pretty large field to select from.

Can always put more subs in the attic
What do you think of My IB solution?

If you are "active" for the woofer with eq.. then you have an even larger field to select from.

-so basically how much money to spend, how large in cabinet size, how deep (in freq.), do you have eq. available?

Could get another EQ /dbx

My "gut" instinct says go for 2 vertical parallel connected 16 ohm 12PR320 (which would give you a "ton" of headroom to connect to your midrange and effectively lower harmonic distortion when matching to your midrange), in a bass-reflex design (though mechanically it would "look" more like a sealed design):

How much power would you feed them with?
One bridged Amp for each pair of 12" i suppose

Speaker FaitalPRO 12PR320, 16 ohm, 12 inch

-though that still depends on the factors above.