Help chosing high SPL drivers for 3way classic loudspeaker

Ok, so wood panels arrived,

I was looking for damping material, there is 50mm glasswool

And guy also showed me this much denser fabric, its more dense and heavier, but thickness is around 10mm. I think he said its used for isolation for concrete or something.

View attachment 960851 View attachment 960852

Should i go with denser and stack it for 20mm ?

Maybe get both this and glasswool, and maybe make a sandwich fabric-glasswool-fabric ?

There is also this more lose 0.5mm fabric available aswell and is similar to the first one, its just bit lighter and less dense.

This is an important question. Absorbtion works best for frequencies with maximum 4 times the wavelength of the thickness of the absorbing material. Since the main concern is to dampen standing waves, which are minimum twice the largest dimension of the enclosure, your layer of absorbing material needs to be quite thick.

A thin layer will not work, longer wavelengths, of the order of the standing waves that may occur in an enclosure, will not be dampened by it.

This is an important question. Absorbtion works best for frequencies with maximum 4 times the wavelength of the thickness of the absorbing material. Since the main concern is to dampen standing waves, which are minimum twice the largest dimension of the enclosure, your layer of absorbing material needs to be quite thick.

A thin layer will not work, longer wavelengths, of the order of the standing waves that may occur in an enclosure, will not be dampened by it.

So if i want to damp around 100hz, as there is a bump in freqresponse i would need to deal with 3.43m long wave, and much thicker layers of dampening. I dont see that happening :D

Attachments

• freqresp.png
    freqresp.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 234
vacuphile said:
Noise is a larger contributer than distortion in modern amps, so it is best to have your amplifiers not too large.

I do not know much about tube amplifiers, but I'm fairly certain that "modern amps" are mostly solid-state, and achieve their highest reliability and subjective sound quality at lower power levels. I may be wrong but I think I'm right.

vacuphile said:

Any damping that's added is only expected to clean up the unwanted mid-range reflections within the enclosure. If the damping were to absorb all the bass, there wouldn't be much of a "bass reflex" speaker left after damping !

When it comes to bass reflection, I think one needs to worry more about the room acoustics than the ones within the cabinet, as the latter is predictable (and necessary), while the former is a function of a hundred variables.

Soo... cheesecloth is there to prevent stuff flying into the speaker etc... not to adjust something acoustically. Maybe better to put it on smaller array speakers than the bass if this is the case.

Correct, or to contain insulation, the reason I suggested/recommended it. IOW, why cover a 'blanket' of insulation when all you need do is cover the components? ;)

Also, FWIW I found that taking a 'page' from Bozak's Concert Grand speaker's damping design, 'hanging' a 'blanket' from the top, parallel with the baffle and letting it 'flap in the breeze' is a great solution.

Correct, or to contain insulation, the reason I suggested/recommended it. IOW, why cover a 'blanket' of insulation when all you need do is cover the components? ;)

Also, FWIW I found that taking a 'page' from Bozak's Concert Grand speaker's damping design, 'hanging' a 'blanket' from the top, parallel with the baffle and letting it 'flap in the breeze' is a great solution.

True, but i want to prevent said insulation leak from bass reflex hole into the room and air :).

In that speaker with horn you linked kinda makes sense, but i will have just some insulation in size of woofer around it. For array alu tube, thats a different story, but it will be sealed anyway.

OK, cover the vent then. ;)

FWIW, I never heard of any issues with insulation dust being pumped out of the vent until I got on the audio BBs in late '96, but I've nearly always critically damped them with less porous materials tightly stretched over them, so with my sub's reflex vents being a removable panel, had a look-see and if there was any buildup it was too fine/too embedded in it to tell there was any, so TTBOMK it's 'much ado about nothing'.

That said, any down firing I've done, the insulation was contained in a cheesecloth 'ball'/'bag' suspended from the top and since I keep forgetting yours is down firing :(, recommend you do the same in lieu of any panel mounting.

Last edited:
OK, cover the vent then. ;)

FWIW, I never heard of any issues with insulation dust being pumped out of the vent until I got on the audio BBs in late '96, but I've nearly always critically damped them with less porous materials tightly stretched over them, so with my sub's reflex vents being a removable panel, had a look-see and if there was any buildup it was too fine/too embedded in it to tell there was any, so TTBOMK it's 'much ado about nothing'.

That said, any down firing I've done, the insulation was contained in a cheesecloth 'ball'/'bag' suspended from the top and since I keep forgetting yours is down firing :(, recommend you do the same in lieu of any panel mounting.

When you say suspended, i think of rolling bunch of glasswool and wrap it around. I bought some gaze, which has less denser holes, but still will hold insulation. I tie one end and other, and there i leave a a bit to be hang, somewhere in middle parallel with woofer. Im thinking of just rolling bunch of gaze and gluing it to the top board of cabinet. Kinda like a giant pendulum inside cabinet :)

Here is the top board, i will do damp pendulum tomorrow, i will go with around 500x500mm or less depending on wool cut. Thickness is 50mm, and i have 300mm backspace.

Im thinking to sandwitch two cuts and wrap it with cheesecloth, you can see density, it will hold it nice.

I also finally found someone to cut alu profile. I borrowed a jigsaw tool from uncle, but that thing vibrates like hell and stroke is as same if not bigger then 40mm, which is depth of profile. Impossible mission if you want precises cut.

Attachments

• gaza.jpeg
    gaza.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 51
  • topboard3.jpeg
    topboard3.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 57
  • topboard2.jpeg
    topboard2.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 197
  • topboard.jpeg
    topboard.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Hey guys, i found some speakerwires 2.5mm, will this be ok ? I have around 16-18m in total, so i can run 4.5m for both speakers.

Also bought this glasswool, since it was sunday, my options were limited :)

Alu profile is cut, really nice job they did, i left it at my friend to polish it up and remove scratches markings..

Attachments

• staklenavuna.jpeg
    staklenavuna.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 56