Heaving bed

Completed assembly yesterday and in use since. No pics yet, the frame is a bit too high and needs modding. The suspension fits well, and the whole frame is super stable. Will work on the hand/toe rails tomorrow too, much needed. Still haven't decided to finish. I should have stuck with my original pre finished ply boards :)

The price of pine is always attractive, but it's one of the more difficult timbers to get a good-looking finish. I will use a brown upholstery fabric that was on my bass amp project for the mattress and back rest. A darker ebony or very light lime could work on the pine, but poly definitely looks bad. I also have a lot of real birch slice veneer sitting around. Covering the lot is also a possibility. No rush on this, us poor parents are now off the floor! :D

1713259909108.png

Cut it down to 450 frame height today. Also cut the hand/toe rail parts which are sitting on the slats in the pic

Decided on a resin based ebony finish and picked up the materials today. Now for some filling and a lot of sanding. We are using it now with a regular single size mattress but will soon order some memory foam and stitch up a proper upholstered seat

For the bass exciters, how would a pair of cheap but heavy duty 12" car subs from BOSS? Cones removed, and a heavy puck fitted in place of the dust cap? Would something like that offer more heave?

find an old Servodrive sub if you want more heave, or the linear actuators from an IMax theater seat, you've spent a pretty penny and some effort on the woodworking why cheap out now....Boss car subs..jeez...

if you remove the cone then the outer/forward surround is no longer there, is the spider alone going to allow your "puck" to move back and forth linearly? i think the voice coil would die prematurely from rubbing against the pole piece.

it's not to say that the subs stock/unmodified may just get you enough vibration if the cones are heavy...could be worth a go...but finding a way to prevent a wonky sounding bass response from the rear radiation of the cones i think would become a whole new problem!

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out, man. I didn't think about the roll surround. I am scared that regular bass exciters might not be enough. My surrounding neighbours biggest complaint is Sly Dunbar's dry, short but low kick. Regardless how low I turn the volume, they can still hear it in the late hours. Weird thing is that they can't hear it outside, only in their buildings. And this is with a 7" sub too!

Looking to xover to the daybed frequencies that excite their rooms. They are all good folk and happy to work with me on this

In song "Bass", Macka B mentions in a line about his baby sleeping cosy next to the speaker box while the neighbours complain, my baby and lil girl sleep just fine. They must like dub