Heating water for coffee - efficiently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently experiencing a coffee crisis as our "everyday" coffee maker is on the fritz. We have a french press, a small stove top espresso maker, and a manual cone filter all available as backup, but none of them can quickly and easily make 8to 10 cups of coffee while I eat breakfast.

I feel like we have gone through quite a few drip coffee makers which have died and been unrepairable. My favourite was a Krups that just stopped heating the water. The only source of parts I could find was a new Krups coffee maker. Current unit is a Cuisinart which decided last week to stop working. It turns on but only processes abut 1/2 cup before stopping, and that takes 20 minutes. If I turn it off and back on a few times I can have a pot of coffee ready in about an hour. I put some descaling solution through it, which seemed to help a bit, but not enough. I guess it's time to take it apart, stare at the innards for a while, and go buy a new one.

I never needed to make 8 or 10 cups at a time.

Over the day I go through about 3L but I do make them all fresh one mug at a time because I find coffee tastes quite bad quickly if you keep it warm.
Of all the different ways of making coffee a drip machine is my least favourite, I'd change to tea if that were my only option. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My class A amps have these big glass bumps in the way of the coffee pot.. LOL

I bought my wife a Bonavita Connoisseur for Christmas a year ago, makes good coffee and seems pretty reliable so far. I make 8 cups at a time and chill it for her ice coffee; a little known fact about New Englanders is that many of us drink ice coffee year round.. LOL (Not me, I hardly ever drink even hot coffee) She likes her coffee really strong, not like the dish water they serve at dunkies.

Bonavita's improved Connoisseur coffee maker is its best one yet - CNET

CNET thinks pretty highly of this little coffee maker, it's also fairly quick.

I never needed to make 8 or 10 cups at a time.

Coffee makers, at least in NA, are graduated in "cups" which do not correspond to measuring cups, I think they are meant to be a "serving size" more like a demitasse. There are three of us in the house,cand my wife is freelancing these days to working from home. She generally puts on "8 cups" which is half gone when I get up, I have one mug of coffee at home before going to work, leaving a scant cup for The Child. I generally have a second cup at work.

One of the things I liked about this Cuisinart makes is that it has 3 heat settings for the made coffe; it keeps it hot enough without cooking it, sonit doesn't get nasty before it is consumed.

This afternoon I partially disassembled the machine and stared at the electronics. Now to buy a new one.

You've got a point there!

I use a 6-8 cup cafetiere but I barely get 3 servings out of it when it is full.
My mug holds 1/3 of a liter.

The US 'cup' measurement is quite confusing, give me ml any day. At least I have an inkling on how much that is.

"This afternoon I partially disassembled the machine and stared at the electronics. Now to buy a new one." :D

One cup at a time. 2 for my wife before she heads out to work and up to six for myself throughout the day. Brewed @ 15:1. 2min 30sec start to finish

Attachments

• DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Nezbleu -- Technivorm? Quite reliable beasts, if not a bit pricey.

Sweet mother of all that is holy, $400 for a coffee maker??? Now I suppose I have thrown away more than 4 coffee makers that stopped working, and some of them cost around $100 (Krups), but what guarantee do I have that the $400 unit will actually outlast or outperform 4x$100 units? Do they have an extraordinary warranty?

I would say $400 is ridiculous but that is an opinion based mostly on me not liking that kind of coffee maker.

I've paid £140 (CA$240) for a toaster which is about double what the next most expensive toaster costs. But I've had that one for nearly 25 years now, it is still working like new, browns toast more evenly than others and is totally serviceable should anything ever go wrong. Best kitchen gadget I ever bought and I totally recommend it to everybody.
Comes in 2, 3, 4 and 6 slots and combi versions which let you make toasted sandwiches or plain toast.

Attachments

• toast.jpeg
    toast.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 134
I like the appearance of that toaster, it reminds me of the one we had when I was a kid. Chrome, rounded corners, etc. That one was probably GE or Sylvania or one of the other big mass market manus from the 1950s, and it was built like a tankband just worked for years and years. Since my dad was a NCO in the RCN back then you know it wasn't expensive, though I suppose it might have been a wedding gift or something. Toasters are another frustrating small appliance, my wife and I have gone through several, and the best of them were no better than the worst. You can pay $100 for a fancy toaster but the parts that matter are exactly the same as the $20 unit.

Sweet mother of all that is holy, $400 for a coffee maker??? Now I suppose I have thrown away more than 4 coffee makers that stopped working, and some of them cost around $100 (Krups), but what guarantee do I have that the $400 unit will actually outlast or outperform 4x$100 units? Do they have an extraordinary warranty?

I'm not sure what makes them $400
(Canadian) dollars, but I was seeing some around $200 usd. The big technivorms are definitely a commercial product though.

My class A amps have these big glass bumps in the way of the coffee pot.. LOL

I bought my wife a Bonavita Connoisseur for Christmas a year ago, makes good coffee and seems pretty reliable so far. I make 8 cups at a time and chill it for her ice coffee; a little known fact about New Englanders is that many of us drink ice coffee year round.. LOL (Not me, I hardly ever drink even hot coffee) She likes her coffee really strong, not like the dish water they serve at dunkies.

Bonavita's improved Connoisseur coffee maker is its best one yet - CNET

CNET thinks pretty highly of this little coffee maker, it's also fairly quick.

Did a quick search, this looks like a good recommendation.

Key to a good drip coffee maker is the water temp (seems obvious), and many drip makers deliver water that is not hot enough. CNET did a thermocouple test to measure the water temps, and this one was good.

Randy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.