Heating water for coffee - efficiently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very true, once a child understands right from wrong, they quickly learn to lie.
Those that are able to lie convincingly grow to become politicians or/and develop an internet persona.
A good test is leave a child alone in a room with some sweets and tell them not to eat any. It's to do with control, once they have learned they can take some sweets but say they haven't when asked and find there is no punishment they have learned a powerful lesson.

I use structured water for coffee brewing! :cool:
Structured Oxygenated water | Metabunk
Structured Water Pseudoscience and Quackery

btw, I do also use a kettle for brewing coffee, but I pour the boiling hot water immediately over the coffee ground only so much it gets soaked completely but not more, wait until all has drained into the pan or cup before pouring another batch boiling water.
I am aware of the "correct water temperature" for a good brew, but to my taste buds I just get better results when pouring boiling water, I believe what happens is, the water cools down quite quickly when it comes in contact with the coffee ground and filter cone, so pouring boiling water allows the mix to reach closer to the optimum temperature at when the essential oils etc releases, or what ever chemistry is going behind releasing all the wonderful aromas.
Cool.
I do the exact opposite although end result may be the same: when outside home so away from my regular coffee brewing stuff , if nothing better available I first wet coffee in the filter with *cold* water (make that room temperature tap water) , wait a minute or two because ground coffee does not "wet" easily, since it contains oils, and then pour almost boiling water over it, sloooowwwwllllyyyy :)

In the absence of guaranteed proper temperature water I know this at least at some point sweeps across the proper point, releasing and carrying into the pot or cup the desirable oils/flavours without burning them; if *after* that slightly too hot water gets through coffee grains, no big harm done, the desirable aroma/flavour is already safely captured.

Back to "oxygenated water" quackery, I noticed a True Believer chimed in defending it, until he was asked "how do you separate actual effect from placebo effect?" ... at which point all communication ceased :D

Cool.
I do the exact opposite although end result may be the same: when outside home so away from my regular coffee brewing stuff , if nothing better available I first wet coffee in the filter with *cold* water (make that room temperature tap water) , wait a minute or two because ground coffee does not "wet" easily, since it contains oils, and then pour almost boiling water over it, sloooowwwwllllyyyy :)

In the absence of guaranteed proper temperature water I know this at least at some point sweeps across the proper point, releasing and carrying into the pot or cup the desirable oils/flavours without burning them; if *after* that slightly too hot water gets through coffee grains, no big harm done, the desirable aroma/flavour is already safely captured.

Back to "oxygenated water" quackery, I noticed a True Believer chimed in defending it, until he was asked "how do you separate actual effect from placebo effect?" ... at which point all communication ceased :D

Whats so ironic about your post is that everything you said about brewing coffee is very similar to the oxygenated water that you claim is quackery. :D

I've tried all sorts of methods for making coffee but the ones I always return to are the cafetiére (french press to those of north-american persuasion) and the humble stove-top espresso maker.

For the former an electric kettle is a must and I pour all the water while it is still boiling.
And yes microwaved water tastes odd.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I'm surprised at the lack of people here who are considering a creative method of using transistors to heat water with for that perfect cup. A long string of TO-220 transistors hooked up to some heatpipes should create a significant amount of heat if directed properly into a pot or stovetop.

That would in my opinion be the most efficient method of wasting money, utilizing audio amplifiers or a linear power supply to heat water instead of a simple radiating element.

YouTube

Such as the old joke that P4 cpu's used to get so hot you could fry an egg on them. Which was humorously displayed in Half Life 2 and portal.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.