Heating water for coffee - efficiently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
water without minerals makes for a bad tasting cup of coffee.

Agreed. Mountain Rainwater will probably taste pretty good in a cup of tea once its particulate filtered with a paper filter and sufficiently boiled and lacking in deadly bacteria/chemicals.

I cannot advise on any safe methods of adding taste to water but I do know that it is possible to do so.

Anyone with a freshwater aquarium care to grab a cup of 2nd hand fish pee and try it out? :)

I have two freshwater aquariums but I'm not game enough.

I'm pretty certain that it will have an organic smell and maybe also possibly an earthy flavor to it.

Last edited:
Chloramine is worse than Chlorine in my estimation, as it can not be driven out of the water by letting it set, nor by boiling.

Adding potassium metabisulfite (Campden Tablets) to water releases the chlorine, allowing it to be removed by setting or boiling.

I have read that ascorbic acid will work also, but have not tried it.

Removal of Chlorine or Chloramine from brewing water is important because chlorine will interact to form chlorophenols, which one does not want in beer.

Last edited:
Do you guys who uses RO (Reverse Osmosis) add some of the trace minerals back to the water after filtering, I have learned that very pure water isn't that healthy in the long run to due the lack of trace elements as RO is very efficient in removing virtually everything.
Also, water without trace elements is a bit accidic, not good tasting.
What is the reason RO is so popular in US, fluoridation?

Oh goodness, sorry if I misrepresented myself. Fluoridation is generally common in the US for water treatment, plus it has beneficial public health effects (teeth).

The super whiz-bang RO filter stuff I was talking about is the ultrapure water I use at work in a research lab. Was just conveying that I've tried drinking some of it and it tastes way different to tap water. Not recommended, haha.

RO is used for well water on occasion, I think? Not common for folks on municipal water.

Agreed. Mountain Rainwater will probably taste pretty good in a cup of tea once its particulate filtered with a paper filter and sufficiently boiled and lacking in deadly bacteria/chemicals.

As a kid I lived in Elgin, Scotland and was into fishing, if I ran out of tea or water in my bidon, I'd quite happily drink from the Lossie and Spey.
The best tasting water (and wild Brown Trout imho) comes from the Black Burn.... though I'm not keen on Chivas unless it's free :D:D:D

Do you guys who uses RO (Reverse Osmosis) add some of the trace minerals back to the water after filtering, I have learned that very pure water isn't that healthy in the long run to due the lack of trace elements as RO is very efficient in removing virtually everything.
Also, water without trace elements is a bit accidic, not good tasting.
What is the reason RO is so popular in US, fluoridation?

There are mineral supplements that you can buy at most heath and nutrition stores. Even Pink Himilayen sp? salt can be found at most grocery stores.

I would not recommend drinking pure water everyday for prolong periods of time unless you are using some sort of mineral supplements. You can drink it short term or every so often as it does have some health benefits.....it not only takes away the good things in your body out but also the bad things that needs to be cleaned out....People with high blood pressure the first response is to cut out salt from your diet and using pure water can take out the salt pretty fast and is IMO much safer then the hydrochlorothiazide aka water pill.

Water without any minerals has no taste....Water without trace minerals depending on the filtering process can be between 6.5-8ph...Although adding certain trace minerals can make the water more alkaline as that is how most water bottle companies utilize minerals for alkaline water usually with a ph of 8 or higher.

Pure water is used for sterilization in hospital pharma products like IV ringers, shots etc....Its also used in certain types of machines as some machines over time can get damaged due to the water composites or mineral build ups that can occur over time. CPAP and Humidifiers require steam distilled water and or reverse osmosis.

I believe Distilled and R.O. water is becoming popular in US due to more people looking into the holistic health approach due to the chemicals and pollutants found in our tap water supplies...That is why a lot of Brita pitcher/pur facet type of water filters are becoming more popular around the world.

I use the conventional whistling kettle takes about a couple minutes to boil and I use a single cup coffee strainer with the filter and my Kona signature blend coffee with 1 tspn of brown sugar and some international delight vanilla mixed with hazel nut creamer. mmmm mmmm good.:)

mkane77g-I probably shouldn't be typing, but shoulder has much less pain. Lots of bruising (I think they dislocated it to work on it). I'm still taking Ibuprofen a couple times a day for pain.

WalMart has RO water in most of it's stores, in my area any way. I blend it with local water (Slightly hard) for brewing.

I do not like the taste of mineral free water whether it be RO, distilled, or de-mineralized.

I prefer slightly hard water with moderate carbonate and low sulphate (but not free) content.

We are blessed with good water locally. I believe potable water will become a scarce resource in the not to distant future.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I have a RO filter and I have drank the water without too much concern for a long stint lasting at least 2 years maybe longer.

It helped considerably in clarity of mind however my clarity of mind was fleeting at that period of time.

The tap water as it is straight is quite high in Magnesium levels which do give it a slightly bitter metallic taste. But the alternative is collecting rainwater and boiling it. Which I may do someday, but doing it every day is rather time consuming and unnecessary considering we have readily available tap water.

Might not want to do that. Never know where coke get their freshwater from, could be very polluting.

Not to mention the environmental cost of the tin, chemicals, transport of various products to and from the canning factory, etc.

Pop factories usually filter the water well.
In the UK they are red hot on recycling plastic bottles.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.