Has anyone tried setting the subwoofer frequency above 100 Hz?

Has anyone tried setting the subwoofer frequency above 100 Hz?
Yes. Father forgive me, for I have sinned, I set the crossover above the THX recommendation. The Midbass Police showed up immediately, and sentenced me to 60 days in an anechoic chamber, followed by hearing the blood beat through my ears at Badwater Basin.

(That last is true by the way!)

Reactions: 1 users
Greetings, Yes I do run mine up to around 250hz or so. Basically between 50-250. But in my case I have multiple alnico 10"s that have a remarkable ability to reproduce upper base reaching into the lower midrange. The effect is a large expansion in that range. Which is very seductive to say the least. A total of 5 10"s per channel all in sealed enclosures. If possible get a DQ-LP1 xover and once you figure out setting it all up. You should be in hog heaven. It has to be hand set with a single 6db cap for the main amp input impedance. So it helps to not switch amps anymore than is absolutely necessary. But it's well worth the efforts.

DD

There are a lot of answers not applicable to the specific question. The title refers to SUBWOOFER, ONE, SINGULAR.
In the representation of original performance, frequencies above 100hz do not work. My bedroom system is powered by an 5.1 HT amp with a fixed crossover point (140hz). If I close my eyes and listen to the STEREO, I can hear; the main vocal is in the centre, the backing vocalists are stage-left, the tambourine player is stage-right. The illusion is shattered because the bass player (cue creepy music) is under my bed!
The frequency at which your subwoofer becomes directional negates it's purpose.

Sorry, within the text of the original post, he writes TWO stereo subs added.
I stand corrected.
I still maintain the practice is redundant (Any woofer should be competent @100Hz). The only benefit of the practice is as established by the big-box manufacturers. In home theatre systems you'll find subs responsible for 100hz so as they satellites can be made smaller. Typically, you'll find satellites with 2" woofers.

What I've done that works very well for me is use Bass Columns (80-280hz) and Subs for what they are intended,
80hz or <. When the frequency becomes directional, I treat it that way, which includes imaging a center phantom
with the bass columns. The columns set outside the mains. I simply use whatever mains I choose and move them
into position. Both set of columns have to be toed in or out correctly but other than that it adds a soundstage in
two channel that's very immersive depending on where you cross the cabinets behind, at or in front of the seated
position. 80-280hz is VERY directional and yet it's treated as DBA which is actually DSA. Distributed SUB Array.

I'm using GRs servo below 80hz and SAT bass columns. I use the long wall and the subs are on either side
of the seated position 2 feet in front on the left and 2 feet behind on the right (close).

If you like fast paced music like Miami Sound Machine (for example) BASS is the key and you get clean fast bass
by taking advantage of it being directional and being able to treat points of first reflection pretty easy with passive
materials and mild diffusion. I treat Sub/Bass Peeks with Helmholtz adjustable resonators below 150hz.

It's the best way I've found so far and just about ant main speaker will work. My main just happen to have a
sub/bass system installed that I don't often use I can move the columns forward or backward to time the arrival
better and of course image a center bass phantom. Not all mixes have it, BUT it's an eye opener for sure.

Regards

From my pro audio days I tend to like crossing over at 150-160 Hz to the mids for a few reasons:
  • Orchestral music tends to peak around there (some studies show a maximum at 200 Hz), rolling off at 3 dB/octave above that, hence sharing the load between lows and mids tends to be optimal.
  • Excursion increases as inverse frequency squared, so mids at 160 Hz have 40% the excursion as compared with 100 Hz. Note most reviews of the Purifi 6.5 mid driver state the thing is happiest above 160 Hz.
  • It sounds more integrated to my ears. Having some slight localisation cues at 160 Hz for the woofers makes more sense to me than having them grumble exclusively below 100 Hz.
Any competent woofer can deal with those frequencies easily, even bigger ones such as the Dayton RSS460. Sure the voice coil inductance is 2.2 milliHenries at 4 ohm impedance, which means the thing is supposedly a couple of dB down at 200 Hz, but in practice it's a non-issue.

Reactions: 1 users