Half Chang build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a little time to run a sim on the 167. Major effects on baffle width and height showed a slight increase in radius necessary over the 207 application. The inset showed no difference.

Its a balance act. As the baffle narrows the radius increases, as the height lessens the radius is less. The major effort is to combine the actions to provide for an ever decreasing "bubble" without distortion of the wavefront as the frequency increases.

Please give me some time on this application. I should have an answer within a week, again i have been overloaded at work. I have finished with my thermal studies and am now desiging a portable automated plate edge scan using a phased array. An outside engineering firm quoted six months to accomplish this, i have to do it in six weeks.

To accomplish the near impossible in a short period of time is becoming second nature.

ron

Audio comes a long way behind other things.

That is the wrong approach. Almost everything should come ahead of work. The company is not going to be able to hire a consultant to do it better and faster than a competent employee. Let the management try, I have never seen it work.

Working for a company is great and you should try and do a good job. But you need to reorder priorities in life and set work in its proper place. Work starts and stops at prescribed times, management panicks are ther lack of planning not your lack of effort. Once they realize that you are a limited resource they appreciate you much more. If they know they can pile on as much work as they want, kick you for not meeting crazy schedules, and treat you any way they please you are in a loosing spiral. You determine how management views your contribution and your work capacity. You determine how much time you put in every day. You determine where you show up to earn a living. In reality you are in control, not the manager. Job stress is all self induced, people have skills that somebody else would appreciate having in theri organization. Don't be afraid to pull the plug, walk away, and pursue a different opportunity (I did after 15 years with my last company).

By "you" I don't mean to single out Ron C, I mean anybody in a technical position with experience.

Totally agree sir! Music is a necessity in my opinion, and we are blessed to be wealthy enough to reproduce it accurately (to some extent) in the comfort of our own homes. Work always comes second, its the things like music and home audio that brings us satisfaction in our life... doesn't even have to cost a lot. I love the feeling when I finish a project and finally sit down and just listen to hundreds of tracks for hours on end...

MJK said:

That is the wrong approach. Almost everything should come ahead of work. The company is not going to be able to hire a consultant to do it better and faster than a competent employee. Let the management try, I have never seen it work.

Working for a company is great and you should try and do a good job. But you need to reorder priorities in life and set work in its proper place. Work starts and stops at prescribed times, management panicks are ther lack of planning not your lack of effort. Once they realize that you are a limited resource they appreciate you much more. If they know they can pile on as much work as they want, kick you for not meeting crazy schedules, and treat you any way they please you are in a loosing spiral. You determine how management views your contribution and your work capacity. You determine how much time you put in every day. You determine where you show up to earn a living. In reality you are in control, not the manager. Job stress is all self induced, people have skills that somebody else would appreciate having in theri organization. Don't be afraid to pull the plug, walk away, and pursue a different opportunity (I did after 15 years with my last company).

By "you" I don't mean to single out Ron C, I mean anybody in a technical position with experience.

Well said, Martin. That's why I still make time for audio etc (there's only so much naval history even I can stomach in one sitting). When I mentioned audio coming behind other things, I was really meaning health -when you're that busy elsewhere, you want to keep your hobby simple & save the more time-consuming stuff for when you've got less on. You shouldn't have to be working under that sort of pressure though. It sounds like your company has dropped you right in it Ron. I don't doubt you can pull it off, but you shouldn't be hit with a ludicrous timescale because some management-type / boss / director / whatever has quoted a daft figure. That's their problem, not yours (or it should be!). Anyway, your friends are behind you.

Balance is a journey

This is a great discussion (although somewhat off-topic, I guess :)).

I have spent my career mostly in marketing and strategy in technology businesses, apart from 5 years running my own business.

Since re-joining the corporate world in 2002 I've done the following (in addition to my job!)

* built a 10' sailing dinghy
* written a children's novel
* written a play (now trying to turn it into an opera)
* studied jazz and improvisation
* written a pile of songs
* built a router table and a garage workshop
* built a bookcase and a shoe rack
* built a gainclone (thanks, BrianGT and diyaudio!)
* built a pair of 3-way horns (thanks, Wayne Parham)

Now I'm starting on an F4 and three more speaker projects.

My point is simply that within corporate life in Silicon Valley it is possible to do a lot if you keep something going most of the time. I have periods when I need to focus on work, and then I don't do projects, but I usually have one active project waiting for spare time, and a couple in the planning stages.

To me this is an essential element of retaining my sanity, and also simply a lot of fun. I learned when I was a consultant that we are paid mostly for the insights we bring and for outstanding quality at key points - not for being in the office, or grinding through a lot of mundane work. Most of the highest-paid people in the world are paid for value at very specific points in time - football players, opera singers, TV presenters etc. No-one cares what they do the rest of the time, so long as their peak performance is world-class. I therefore try to ensure that I prioritize effectively, and take lots of time to think, so when I produce some work that's visible to others, it's really useful.

I learned as a consultant that I was paid for critical insights, and not for hourly work (I always charged fixed fees). So I try to make the space for good thinking, and that often happens when I'm learning about non-work things.

Sorry about the long message...hope it doesn't seem pretentious or arrogant. But I think we have more options than we might realize, and I've tried to expand my horizons in these ways.

Regards,
tim

I have been sitting on the fence long enough looking for a cab that can fit my AN 8 std and also will be good for Fostex 8" if I decided to buy a pair later.

The BIB and Spawn family looks really good but just a bit too big (size, effort and material wise).

The half chang looks like the answer but I do have a question: If I am going to build a pair using the measurement in the plan "Post #3661
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...tamp=1191168822" will it fit the AN8 std?

Anyway, your friends are behind you

Thank yall, it helps.

Everything is simple , once you figure out the operation principal. Then the rest is simply details.

I realize in this forum i sometimes talk in simple physics as a basis, but that is the operation principal. I have to bring things down to the absolute basic functions then expand from that point.
Thats how i work.

ron

GratefulTony said:

This link doesn't seem to work for me... Where can I get plans for this?

also- hwong, what are your impressions of the AN std 8?

To my ears, they are not bad. Let me expand on my "not bad".

The AN8 is in the CommonAudio recommended ported BR cab that I built using BB ply, screwed up on the port. Started with two 1.5in ports but really didn't like the base coming out. Should have gone with the 3in. So I just cut out the material between the 2 1.5in port to make is a bigger one. Therefore can't really tell the speakers build are really at its best.

Compare to my pair of 21 years old B&W D2000 given to me from my dad when he moved on to a pair of Tannoy 15 yrs ago, it is definitely better than the B&W. The B&W drivers, particular the tweeters are showing their age.

(btw, anyone any suggestions on re-using the B&W cab for some FR design?)

Compare to my HT front speakers (Monitor Audio Bronze 2), the highs are not as good as the MA. The base and sound stage, the AN8 definitely is better.

>>> definitely better than the B&W...

I have a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers i used to listen to. They are slik looking black boxes that ooooze hi-end. And they sound great until you compare them to just about anything properly designed using a Fostex full range driver.

I keep them stacked in the basement by the sump pump just in case i want to hear them again... one day... in the distant future. I am amazed how much better sound we can get thru DIY than the B&Ws.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.