Half Chang build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you're planning on using them in a "normal" room, I'd say yes they should have more than enough power to drive them. If they're to be used in an auditorium, then maybe not.

Are your amps the same as the National Semiconductor's application notes? IIRC, the 3886 chips in their configuration are good for about 68 watts/channel.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Thanks for helping

The amp I currently use is the dual mono version (link below). I am currently driving a pair of B&W 601s (88db-8ohm) speakers and they are more than loud enough for my requirements. The amp uses a Snubberized power supply which I believe helps this amp drive slightly less efficient speakers like my B&Ws.

Are the HCs 4 or 8ohm?

http://www.chipamp.com/lm3886.shtml

Thanks

Richard

IIRC Dave used a pair of 24ga wires extracted from a run of Cat5, straightened out, & run (fairly widely spaced) between two pieces of sticky tape.

FWIW (seriously) bell wire will do a similar job to the Cat5. Shotgun configuration, 24ga conductors. Very cheap indeed, if you don't have any of the network cable to hand.

HCC has a slightly cleaner midband & top end, at the price of some LF extension.

Here is the layout of my lounge. The HIFI rack and speakers are at the top of the plan with TV top right.

Attachments

• lounge.jpg
    lounge.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,103
I received an interesting reply to a question I posed about a regulated PS I have built for my LM3875 amps. I was surprised that the heat sinks remained stone cold. It made me wonder why it was suggested that they be fitted in the first place. I was told that using the 206E in a BLH meant that I was only using milliwatts. Milliwatts for acres of deafening good sound :D

Hello again

I think I have narrowed down my list of possible builds to the following cabinets.

1. Half Chang

2. Half Chilli Chang

3. Solo 206 www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Solo206.html

Before I make a decision I have a couple of questions that you may be able to answer.

As you can see I currently have my speakers quite close to the rear wall, either side of a window. The left hand speaker is located just behind the left hand sofa.

How far from the wall should I place these speakers?

One of the sofas could be in front of the horn mouth, but the driver will be free from obstructions… will this ruin the sound?

Does anyone know if the Solo 206 performs well? It is quite a compact unit that may get full wife approval without any persuasion. :xeye:

Thanks for your time

Richard

Attachments

• lounge.jpg
    lounge.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,043
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tripmaster said:
Does anyone know if the Solo 206 performs well? It is quite a compact unit that may get full wife approval without any persuasion.

I've not heard it, but 206 needs a horn, and horn & compact don't really go hand-in-hand. Have a look at the Ronhorn Dallas ... it and Sachiko are probably your best bet for 206s.

dave

Bob Brines said:

Have you considered putting your speakers in the corner -- i.e. one speaker on each side of the corner and the listening chair at 45* to the walls?

Bob

Hi Bob

Its not really going to work with the layout of the room, walk ways and radiators etc..

I think the half chilli will work better with the space I have available. I have posted on the half chilli thread and have included a picture.

Thanks

Richard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.