• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group order of switched ladder attenuator? Anyone interested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
kanaddict said:
Brian,

what steps values do you have in mind ?

Linear or exp. step attenuator ?

Thanks !

The current idea for the resistor set to go with the kit is to find the best solution to go along with the Gainclone Group order, which probably would be a 20k log ladder.

You are welcome to order the switch without resistors and put together any type of ladder, any value, log or linear.

Due to the amount of work putting together resistor sets, I will most likely only be using one type for this order.

--
Brian

Hi,

Thanks for your answer !

BrianGT said:

The current idea for the resistor set to go with the kit is to find the best solution to go along with the Gainclone Group order, which probably would be a 20k log ladder.
--
Brian

20 k :bigeyes:

I was on the impression that a 50k was the way to go. A few days ago (before you started this group) Peter Daniel suggested a 50k pot from Michael Percy (not a step attenuator). I wonder how different would sound your GC kit with different step attenuator 20k vs 50k ?? I ask the question because I was offered a 50k step attenuator at a good price.

Thanks !

From what I see on the picture it shoudn't b problem of sticking another 4 pole for useng it as balanced version ...I think it should just use longer centar bar ( sorry bad english )...I hope you understand what I mean...
Can some one chack this with elma...how much would cost 8 pole...

Thanks

ELMA rotary switch model number?

Brian,

I was curious about the model of the rotary switch that you have selected. After reading through the Percy Audio catalog concerning the ELMA switches I noticed that a couple of the switches (04-2130, 04-1130) exhibit a similar transient noise effect as the Taiwanese attenuators from a previous thread. I was hoping that you had avoided this model, and had chosen a higher quality switch for the possible group purchase.

Thanks,

Joined 2002
Re: ELMA rotary switch model number?

stadams said:
Brian,

I was curious about the model of the rotary switch that you have selected. After reading through the Percy Audio catalog concerning the ELMA switches I noticed that a couple of the switches (04-2130, 04-1130) exhibit a similar transient noise effect as the Taiwanese attenuators from a previous thread. I was hoping that you had avoided this model, and had chosen a higher quality switch for the possible group purchase.

Thanks,

Todd,

The model that I am looking at is the Elma 04A2R00, which is their high end unit, used in some high-end commercial audio projects. I have ordered a pair of them, one for myself, and one for Peter Daniel to try out. I will make sure that this is a worthwhile switch before buying a bunch of them. The hardware for the contacts is the same hardware used in the DACT volume controls, which cost $160 for a 2 channel unit.

Be assured that these will be high quality units, or else I won't be ordering them for the group order, after I try my initial unit.
--
Brian

Hello BrianGT,

I've been lurking around the diyAudio forums for a while (I'm active in Head-Fi) and I came across this thread and decided to get a set through you. ;) I have added my name through the wiki.

Please let us know when you receive your units - I would really appreciate your comments!

Joined 2002
doobooloo said:
Hello BrianGT,

I've been lurking around the diyAudio forums for a while (I'm active in Head-Fi) and I came across this thread and decided to get a set through you. ;) I have added my name through the wiki.

Please let us know when you receive your units - I would really appreciate your comments!

I should get my the 2 units that I ordered soon, as they shipped out Friday. I will post pictures and info when they come in.

yoke said:
Hi Brian...
So you will be offer only 4 pole switchies...?
Whell in that case , I will be interested for two of them...for my balenced preamp...

The Elma 04A2R00 switch is designed to be a stereo ladder volume control, configured with a 4-pole switch. I would recommend sticking to the intended application with it. Also, a standard 4-pole switch will be a bit cheaper. I can look into pricing for a standard 4-pole switch if you want. Just put an entry on the Wiki, explaining what you want, and I will see what I can do.

--
Brian

Another, cheaper solution, is going with fixed series/switched shunt arrangement. You would need 2 decks Elma ($56 from Percy), 2 quality series resistors (let's say 5K or 10k Vishays S102) and about 50 Dale resistors which will be switched for different volume settings. I'm presently using this setup and it work pretty well. Although resistance is not constant, in most frequently used range (which is a 1/4 of max setting) I'm using max resistance on a pot, which is good.

I think this is a good alternative to more elaborate volume switchers (ladder type) and it may, in some cases, work actually better than a ladder type attenuator ;)

Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
Another, cheaper solution, is going with fixed series/switched shunt arrangement. You would need 2 decks Elma ($56 from Percy), 2 quality series resistors (let's say 5K or 10k Vishays S102) and about 50 Dale resistors which will be switched for different volume settings. I'm presently using this setup and it work pretty well. Although resistance is not constant, in most frequently used range (which is a 1/4 of max setting) I'm using max resistance on a pot, which is good.

I think this is a good alternative to more elaborate volume switchers (ladder type) and it may, in some cases, work actually better than a ladder type attenuator ;)

Elma also makes a series attenuator, the 04A2A00S, which might work as a cheaper alternative. What do you think about this?

I am checking on pricing now, but it should be quite a bit cheaper.

Datasheet:
http://www.elma.com/files/products/rotary_components/pdfs/audio_switches_series_a_002.pdf

--
Brian

Attachments

• audio_switch_series_a_001.gif
    audio_switch_series_a_001.gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 712
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
I'm not that sure about series attenuators (with stock resistors). I have a feeling than in some cases those are worse than a good pot. But if properly chosen, SMD resistors are used, they might be pretty good. IIRC, Jonathan Carr is using that type of setup (with different swittch though) in Connoseur preamp.

The switches do not come with the resistors, so it depends on what you want to pair up with it.

If you are looking at SMD resistors, the 2 channel DACT switch is in a series configuration with SMD resistors and costs $180. It uses the same Elma hardware as the one that I am considering.

Here is a picture of the series resistive attenuator without the resistors.

--
Brian

Attachments

• dcp_0199-1.jpg
    dcp_0199-1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 727
Joined 2002
Here is a picture of the DACT CT2, which has the same hardware as the above attenuator, but with a different PCB with SMD resistors. It goes for $180.

I will let you know how pricing looks on the Elma series attenuator. The Elma series attenuator uses through-hole parts. They don't make their own SMD switch, as DACT makes the pcb for their own switches.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.