• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group order of switched ladder attenuator? Anyone interested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
tja said:
gjo wrote
FYI,Transcendent Sound has been ofering these kits for a while.

http://transcendentsound.com/step attenuator.htm

They are priced at about $80 after a $10 discount that can be got if you register for their newsletter, and Elma rotary switch is used in this attenuator as well.

That's a series configuration, the one Brian's offering is a ladder type.

Take

Exactly. If the series configuration was wanted, it would quite a bit less than $90 for the PCB version that they are selling for $119 - $10.

The switch itself without the pcb on it could be picked up for less than $40 (without resistors or anything else). But just having a 2 deck switch doesn't do you much good.

--
Brian

Great attenuator, I read it everywhere.
But, here's my question: do I need an attenuator to my gainclone?
Do I really need it?
My gaiclone will be driven by a preamp, so I can adjust the volume using it. Is there a problem?

Sorry if the question has been already answered.

Joined 2002
roibm said:
Great attenuator, I read it everywhere.
But, here's my question: do I need an attenuator to my gainclone?
Do I really need it?
My gaiclone will be driven by a preamp, so I can adjust the volume using it. Is there a problem?

Sorry if the question has been already answered.

No, if you are using a preamp, you do not need an attenuator, simply use it like a normal amplifier.

--
Brian

BrianGT said:

No, if you are using a preamp, you do not need an attenuator, simply use it like a normal amplifier.

Brian, you fast man. Do you ever sleep? :D

So I don't need one... do I need to add a resistor in some place(I read about a reistor that should be added between the input socket and ground)?
If yes, what value? Should I go for the best quality?

Joined 2002
roibm said:

Brian, you fast man. Do you ever sleep? :D

So I don't need one... do I need to add a resistor in some place(I read about a reistor that should be added between the input socket and ground)?
If yes, what value? Should I go for the best quality?

This resistor that you mention is there by default, R2, which is a 20k or 22k resistor to ground. This is said to work best.

On the picture below, it is the middle resistor. The resistor on the left is the series input resistor, 220ohm, and the one on the right is a 620/680 resistor from the -IN to ground, setting the gain.

As for sleeping, I woke up a little before 6am to work on kits for a few hours before I go to work. Meredith will wake up later and mail them out.

--
Brian

Attachments

• build016.sized.jpg
    build016.sized.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,046
Yup, I am very interested in at least one St. Paddy's Day Attenuator!

(I was literally writing down a parts list yesterday to make my own and would have ordered last night if I wasn't on the town enjoying some :drink: So it will always be the St. Paddy's Day Attenuator to me!)

Joined 2002
Joined 2002
malisz said:
Brian,

Is it possible to make this attenuatror in ballanced version too? Quite a few folks could be interested, I believe.

malisz

Elma does not sell a balanced version of this attenuator, unless you get one custom made. So.. this would mean the only solution for now would be to use two of these for balanced.

Doing balanced for a ladder attenuator would require an 8-pole switch, and getting one made would cost a lot!

--
Brian

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm in the same fix, because I might want an attenuator for my balanced Bride of son of zen preamp in addition to my gainclone. I think with the switch Brian is getting one could do a series balanced attenuator or a shunt balanced attenuator.

OR :

You can make a ladder type but use it between the outputs of the preamp. This seeems scary but I believe that Nelson Pass sugggested it and others have confirmed that it does no damage. I believe that someone else said it didn't sound as good, but I don't think I believe that.

The only problem with this is it seems to require some very low value resistors for adaquate attenuation, in the range of 1/2 ohm and up.

A bsoz also optimally uses a 5k pot so the resistor values would be different in any case....

I hope someone can add some input to my comments which are based on lots off hearsay.

Mark

cheap balanced attenuator

I know we all have heard about the complains regarding those cheap attenuators from the other thread (Brian said "maching gun" sound) but just in case some people are still interested, they do sell a balanced version (8 layers) fully assembled for about US$90.

I plan on using two of these at the outputs of my BZLS.

I just always get confused on how to determine what value
resistors to get. I've seen that JAVA calculator, but for 5K pots
it seems to show values of resistors that are not obtainable...
unless i'm reading it wrong (likely)

m.

Joined 2002
Ciscokid said:
Hi,

Any chance of getting these for other applications than a GC? I need a pair of mono 100Ks.

Regards,
ck

Sure, you could always get one from me without resistors and pick out the resistors that you want. I will determine the pricing later for it. If you want this, just put a comment that you don't need resistors in the Wiki.

--
Brian

Holco's went to ferrous end caps that is the intermediate termination is magnectic some time ago :( as well as the price being sort of high .45c each thru MPercy and a $1.00 each tru Mouser.Dale's are probable the best value in resistors at the moment .Although Micheal is converting over to a differnt manufacture called Precision Resistive Products out of Mediapolis,IA check out thier web site http:www.prpinc.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.