• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy for Jan's high voltage regulator

I made more measurements today. Unlike yesterday when the output voltage increased when I decreased the load, today the voltage was dropping. No idea why. Here are the measurements:

Initial setup: 45V in. Both setup for 25V out into 560R (44.6mA)
Measurements with load reduced to 220R (113.6mA)
Good unitBad unit
Vout25V22.7V
AD8031 output30.2V25.4V and going down -> 24.6V etc
Q3 Vbe0.274V0.274V
Q2 Vbe0.2V0.2V
Voltage across R40.56V0.56V
Voltage across R1124.9V22.8V and going down
Voltage across R10.56V0.56V
Q5 Vbe0V0V
Voltage at junction of R1, VR1, R4 etc22.7V23.7V and going down -> 23V etc

All I get from this is that the constant current sources in both units appear to be producing the same current. All current limiting transistors are off.

In the bad unit the input to the op amp is lower as is the output. This turns the pass MOSFET off more thereby reducing the output voltage.

None of this is helping me diagnose the problem though.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Next if you want to post measurements please measure against Vout, not against Gnd.
The whole regulator floats on Vout so that's the reference.
It appears that the opamp is off.
Assuming it is not broken, it thinks that Vout is too high so it tries to shut down the pass device.
Check the inputs of the opamp (against Vout).
Check the polarity of the diodes around the opamp circuit, are they the correct way around?

Jan

Thanks for your patience Jan. I've re-done the measurements, referenced to Vo.

D7A and D7B are the right way round.

Referenced to Vo, there's very little difference between the measurements so I swapped meters to one with 4 decimal places.

I think the opamp is working. 3rd and 4th decimal places, but the problem unit has double the Δ across the input pins of the op amp. There's a 2nd decimal place difference in the voltages on the pass device gate.

Sadly the measurements still aren't identifying the problem for me. I thought maybe I had a different value of R11 in the problem unit but it's exactly the same.

Initial setup: 45V in. Both setup for 25V out into 560R (44.6mA)
Measurements with load reduced to 220R (113.6mA) with reference to Vout
Good unit Vo 25.018V. Bad unit Vo 23.329V and heading down.
Good unitBad unit
Vin
22.5​
24.3​
Junction of R1, VR1, R4 etc
0.0010​
0.0033​
Junction of D6, C11, Q8 source etc
7.918​
8.210​
AD8031 input pin 3
0.0011​
0.0026​
AD8031 output pin 6
5.0470​
5.0243​
Gate of Q7
5.0470​
5.0243​
Source of Q7
0.2760​
0.2805​
Q3 Vbe
0.274​
0.274​
Q2 Vbe
0.2​
0.2​
Q5 Vbe
0​
0​
Voltage across R4
0.56​
0.56​
Voltage across R11
24.9​
22.9​
Voltage across R1
0.55​
0.55​

Does anything jump out at you?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No nothing does, it's weird, the opamp seems to working OK.
The Vin value you noted, is that the Vin referenced to Vout? Seems OK to.
If it was a premature limiting of the current, you'd see in it the opamp node voltages.
One question: if you increase the current further say to 150mA, does the 'good' unit also start to drop?
Try this with the current limiting disabled (shorted limit set resistor).
I am at an industry convention today and tomorrow (IBC in Amsterdam) so I can't really work on it now, but will as soon as I get home.

Jan

Hi all and Jan,

I look for TO220 transistors:
NTP110N65S3HF
IXTP3N100D2
which are replacement for the original transistors for T-reg. It looks like it is a problem to get them.
Can anyone give me a tip on suitable replacements from the new production?

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Hello one and all. I come to this site from the audio vs engineering side of things. I have bought a couple of T-Reg boards for an amplifier project I am working on.

I have a question that I would like a little help on from those of you that are more knowledgeable than myself (Most of you).

Acknowledging that there are very few original thoughts - I got the bright idea to try to put together a modular, 3 enclose amp - one box for DC heater supplies, one box for B+ supplies and a 3rd for the tube circuits and output transformers.

I am attempting this with the goal of being able to use an adjustable power supply when switching between the 45 tube, 6a3 and 300b tubes. I am also using a Tent Labs fixed bias supply. I plan to mount remote potentiometers so that voltages can be changed without opening up the amp.

My question has to do with using the T-Reg to adjust the B+ voltage when changing tubes. The 45 tubes wants a B+ of potentially as low as 200 volts and the 300b could use up to around 400 volts.

Besides being wasteful of energy (I don’t feel bad about this because i have solar power) - will the T-reg be suitable for this application and is there a performance penalty of any kind by using this board vs separate B+ supplies?

Thanks very much for any thoughts on the matter.

Best,
Lou

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Lou, the T-reg performance does not change with output voltage due to its design.

But be mindful of dissipation, assuming you are not changing the raw input voltage.
For 400V out you probably will have something like 420V input, leaving 20V across the series device.

If you change the output to 200V, you now have 220V across the output device. That's a dissipation of 22W per 100mA output current, which gets hot quickly.
Ideally you'd use a dual switch or something to switch both the input and the output.
Or use two T-regs, one set up for 200V with 220V in and one for 400V with 420V in.
With a bit of creativity you can use a center tapped transformer to set up 220V and 440V from a single transformer.

Jan

Thanks for your response Jan. I had thought of placing a switchable drop resistor before the T-reg to take a good amount of voltage drop (and heat) outside of your device - but I was just guessing.

I have 2 T-Regs with the idea of dual mono B+ and a separate power supply for the driver tube. I am an old audio guy with time on his hands (not enough) and am trying to make a dream amplifier. Usually I prefer simple vs complicated, but I am hoping that with care and a pre-flight checklist it will turn out well!

Thanks for your suggestion.

Lou

Reactions: 1 user