Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Once again a great meetup

I was happy to host again. We have a great DIYAUDIO crowd here in Toronto. We will enjoy the summer and meet again late Sept or early Oct.

Thanks to all who came out and shared their knowledge and comrade-re.

I finally got an A / B comparison of the Lightspeed and Transformer attenuator.

To my ear they are different but equally good. I'd have to put them in my system and really focus on the nuances over time to make a choice on which flavor I'd prefer. I am very happy with a Lightspeed in my main system. I was pleasantly surprised how good the TVA is. I'd love to have the isolation so now I am intrigued about building a tube preamp with good inter-stage transformers for isolation... now if I could only hear a #26 preamp.... :confused: could not resist. IKO gets my admiration for being so good tempered when the sparks flew.

I also enjoyed hearing a couple of great examples of headphone amps.

Also continue to marvel at how much music can be made from tiny little class D. I need 2 guys and an SUV to move my amps and these things are the size of a paperback.

Last edited:
DUG is your man. If I remembered correctly, you need a 10 x magnifying goggles and the finest tip that you can get. Some liquid flux too. Good luck!

Regards,

Exactly.

And position your wrists on the work surface for steadiness.

:)

I did mount the TPA3116's in backwards...one died with a whimper and the other two have not seen power yet so they should be OK.

We have "tweezers" at work so I can de-solder them and remount the two that are not dead.

DIY...no mistakes = no learning

:)

"The TVC is Lo_Tse's baby! "

Sorry about that.

Last edited:
One more time. See attachments. Enjoy.

Attachments

• P1020341.jpg
    P1020341.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 143
  • P1020342.jpg
    P1020342.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 138
  • P1020349.jpg
    P1020349.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 141
  • P1020350.jpg
    P1020350.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 140
  • P1020363.jpg
    P1020363.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 140
  • P1020364.jpg
    P1020364.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 100
  • P1020365.jpg
    P1020365.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 94
  • P1020366.jpg
    P1020366.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 93
Hello Gentlemen,

I live in Toronto. I need your help and expertise. I have the following 2 Amplifiers which need some repairs.

Alesis RA-100 studio reference amplifier. Below is a link to a picture of the amp.
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/alesis-ra-100-193424.jpg

I opened it and put a cushion under the transformer to silence some audible vibration and hum/noise but it didn't work when I turned it on. 10 minutes later, there was a spark/flash and a popping sound on the left side where there are some resistors and capacitors. There was no smoke or burning/melting smell. It won't turn on anymore.

Technics SU-G75 home stereo receiver/amplifier. Below is a link to a picture of the amp.
http://www.alamaula.com/img/timthum...r-technics-su-45-g75-120-4-663_big2.jpg&w=650

The last time I used this Amp was about 5, 6 years ago. It turns on, I can hear the normal hiss sound out of the speakers but no music from the connected CD player.

Is there any one of you fine Gentlemen willing to assist?

Regards,

Major Edition.

Hello Major,

You may want to repost your question in the SS amplifier section. This thread is intended for Toronto DIY audio meetings and you will get more help in the amplifiers section.

A few questions regarding your amps -

1. Was the transformer grounded to the chassis and did you keep the ground intact?

2. Did you check for short circuits etc before powering up - you should check both primary and secondary lines for shorts to ground.

3. I see that you are new to the DIY audio site - pls take some time to read through the safety tips if you are new to electronics.

Best of luck
Jaimo

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Unless you know how to fix them yourself repairing them will likely cost more than their worth. I suspect from your questions that you need help to do this and the Panasonic is one of those later model digital units - tough to work on, parts not easily found, and really tough to take apart for service - unless it's something easy and easy to reach.. You have to have the service manual, especially for the receiver. Maybe your lucky and it's plugged in the wrong input or the tape monitor switch is on or something easy you overlooked, especially if the relay came on.

Last edited:
Greeetings to my fellow TO DIYers. Summer flew by so fast (in two weeks, summer will be officially over), before you realise it, it's almost time to enjoy the fall colour already. Hope everyone had a relaxing and fun summer. Did anyone build/assmble/repair/design anything during the hot seaon? May be we should start planning for our fall get together?

Regards,

I built the following 1m RCA cables this summer:

Neotech NEI-3001
Oyaide ACROSS 900
Oyaide PA-02
Furutech FA-220
Oyaide ACROSS 750

All cables are cryo treated and will be put on a cable cooker soon.

Yes, they all have a different sound. We could listen to them at our next meeting if anyone is interested.