Great sound from PA Coaxial?

Nice - post some pics of your assembly and measurements, very interested to see how 15” coax behave. Just got myself some Celestion FTX1225 12”, looks seriously rugged compared to my older EB12CX; starting the build in a few weeks. Might try DSP this time. Big coax is fun. Might get 12” Kappalites next year, I like the screw-on concept with changeable 1” CD gives a lot of flexibility. 15” will be when I get a bigger house lol.

Have you done any listening to the ftx1225 yet, i am interested how it compares to the beta12cx.

For a 15” coax, i think b&c 15cxn76 looks rather good

Have you done any listening to the ftx1225 yet, i am interested how it compares to the beta12cx.

No not yet, I got them a few weeks ago but they require bigger baffle cutout than any of my current drivers (Eminence and Fane) and I’m not going to bother testing in free air or break the boxes I have. I’m going to build some bigger boxes with replaceable front baffle so I can compare different drivers in same box. I’ve bought the woods already I just need some rainy days to start cutting holes and assembly. Will make a thread once it’s progressing. I have to say though that after play-in the betas sound pretty good in my ears, it will be interesting to see what I get improved with the celestion if anything.

Last edited:
No not yet, I got them a few weeks ago but they require bigger baffle cutout than any of my current drivers (Eminence and Fane) and I’m not going to bother testing in free air or break the boxes I have. I’m going to build some bigger boxes with replaceable front baffle so I can compare different drivers in same box. I’ve bought the woods already I just need some rainy days to start cutting holes and assembly. Will make a thread once it’s progressing. I have to say though that after play-in the betas sound pretty good in my ears, it will be interesting to see what I get improved with the celestion if anything.

I can not wait to hear you review of that driver. :) i also think the beta12cx sounds rather good after some time, but i would like a higher resolution sound. But it has a very good sense of depth, my smaller coaxials sounds flat in compersion. My ”top” list of interesting coaxial drivers that does not cost an arm and a legg are: 12fcx76 but the pure titanium compression driver scares me of a bit, 15cxn76 looks good because it has a titanium/plastic cd diaphragm , and 12clx64 looks good because it has a very narrow dispersion and an all plastic cd diaphragm

Thanks celef. I've seen a thread before where a member here - Adolf Corkscrew, also from Finland experimented and build a pair of speakers for the 12FCX76.

From what i gather, the difference between the 12CXN76 and 12FCX76 are the magnets and the diaphragm. Can the crossover for the 12FCX76 work well with the 12CXN76?

I have not seen one, only a finnish website describing a kit. but no measurements other then a single in-room response of the kit and no crossover info

From what i gather, the difference between the 12CXN76 and 12FCX76 are the magnets and the diaphragm.

for the the low frequency unit, it appears that there is some slight difference to the voice coil windings too, and total moving mass

Can the crossover for the 12FCX76 work well with the 12CXN76?

it depends how picky you are, those drivers are very much alike but not identical so there will be some minor differencies

Most of these PA coax vendors have stock crossover specifically for these drivers. I’m sure they work quite well but for home use maybe you want to emphasize more on baffle correction and HF attenuation especially if you plan to run without a sub.

FB12NCX Crossovers - B&C Speakers

If you want anything better than that I’m sure you need to measure your system in your box and think about what kind of sound you want (smile curve, warm/cold, punch vs deep bass etc).

The only thing I don't like is the narrow dispersion. Looks good otherwise.

The 18 Sound 15NCX1000 looks nice as well. Would be quite expensive with the beryllium diaphragm installed.

Was told by Oberton that the horn is removable. Not sure if further work is required if I were to use the cone and not the horn for the HF.

Nice - post some pics of your assembly and measurements, very interested to see how 15” coax behave.

This unit is only on pre order and will take months until I get it, let alone set things up!

I have not seen one, only a finnish website describing a kit. but no measurements other then a single in-room response of the kit and no crossover info
Thats Samu saurama's speaker called piste (piste means dot/spot of something like that). Finnish shop uraltone payd that project and thats why you cant see crossover information anywhere.

Good thing IS that uraltone prices IS very good and you can buy there only The crossover and speaker plans, If you allready Haven The drivers.

Another good news IS that there IS another speaker called contrapunctum. That project IS done with b&c 15fcx76. Speaker (and amplifier) designer Mikko kutvonen ( i am pretty Shure that he uses Nick "Adolf corkscrew") made IT before piste was released. IT IS pretty same with cheper drivers wich needs bigger cabin (130L vs 200L) and it goes little lower but highs Are Tiny bit (i dont know how to say IT) scruffyer? Or something like that.

Why i know this? Mikko kutvonen IS diy designers and they Are friends. So They Cross listening Both speakers on same Space and thats their conclusion.

Mikko desing contrapunctums crossover allmost two years (with another projects) and Tell his blog about Every step he make on that Time. Uraltone allso sells kit to contrapunctums because peoples Ask They to do so and Mikko says that its okay. Contrapunctum crossover IS allso given away to mikkos blog and i attach IT here so you can get a some kind of clue what those drivers need to get exellent home speaker.

Sorry that long writing and Bad english.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121-194008.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121-194008.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 252