Goodmans Dimension 8 Speakers.

Sound Test

VID_20190131_160735.mp4 - Google Drive

This one is for you Galu!

We are moving out from our flat to another bigger home where i get a music room :D it has been a long wait.

The room is empty so you will hear it echo, but hopefully gives you an idea on how they sound. You will probably hear my 18month old complaining because of how loud it is!

I have not had time to appreciate these yet due to the move, what i can say is they do rock, they fill the room and they can be driven hard.

What i like is that if i move around the room the sound comes from everywhere.

The mid and tweeters are really a delight, i feel i need a little more bass at lower volumes, you have to crank these to get it really going.

once i move into the new place ill have a better chance to test these!

Anyway enjoy!

This one is for you Galu! You will probably hear my 18 month old complaining because of how loud it is!
I thought for a moment that Led Zeppelin had a new vocalist! :sing:

Thanks for the audio/video clip. Congratulations on such a successful renovation, it sounds like these speakers are the bee's knees!

By their nature, these speakers will need careful positioning in your new music room in order to give of their best. Have fun experimenting!

I hope your move goes smoothly. Perhaps you will submit a final report when the speakers are ensconsed in their new surroundings.

Greetings from Germany.

I am restoring Goodmans Dimension 8 as well and I need some help from you. First of all my crossover is a little bit different than yours.

Goz4Rq.jpg

I do not now why my capacitors have different parameters but now I am trying to find in the Internet a a good shop with capacitors that fit to my crossover. Another question is there any way to check if coils are operational? I connected speakers to test them ... the sound was pretty good by I had an impression that there was less bass than in the other speakers I have.

The other thing is that in both Goodmans - all bass speakers are connected to crossovers in a different way. Vishalk can you help with that? Can you give some hint how did you connect all the speakers to your crossover?

My Goodmans are in a wooden/brown colour

1rRln2.jpg

Due to the fact that all surfaces are a litlle bit damaged my plan is to paint them in black colour and change speakers grill cloth to black - the one sold by tannoy user on e..y.

Thanks in advance for you help,

J.

Your crossover is the same layout except with different values, maybe a revision made later on? Sourcing replacement capacitors is not an issue, you can use polyprops or just use alcaps. Stick to the values given. Are both crossovers identical? Change capacitors then retest.

I tested each driver and one of my bass drivers was faulty, luckily I found a pair for sale.

Check your midrange drivers to make sure the glue hasn't dried up and the cones are intact.

Wiring is simple and can be done in many ways, I'll send some sketches to you.

Last edited:
Hi,

Both crossovers are the same but connection for all bass drivers is different in both, probably somebody wanted "to fix" something in the past :D.
I will use ALCAPS as a replacement for capacitors. I am planning to use also MONACOR MDM-35 to seal the speakers inside and MONACOR MDM-4 to improve bass. For fronts I will use black "tannoy" material from ebay auction. My Goodmans just went to have a new painting - black mat. Thanks in advance for sketches I am little bit confused by wiring in speakers.

Regards,

Jacek

15548281326605318805080445142297.jpg

Each speaker is 4ohms.

Two would have to be on series to make 8ohm. The positive from speaker one and the negative from speaker 2 connect to b1. B2 is for the second set of bass drivers.

It means much more cable being used. If I did it again I would change it so there was less speaker wires.

My Goodmans are finally at home and they look even better than I expected.
So during the next step I will seal the boxes and clean all the drivers. In a meantime I have to solve a mystery connected with passive speakers. Of course I have two different. The mystery is the black one with a box on the back. I checked pictures from your threat and you have the same black boxes. I was checking in the Internet and I found on ebay silver one but without any additional part on the back side :D. I have to check what is inside :D.

Regards,

J.

Attachments

• 143228.jpg
    143228.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 143249.jpg
    143249.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 185440.jpg
    185440.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 193
Hi J

You should have had the whole speaker sprayed in black including the front where the speakers go, it's nice when you take the grills off and see all the speakers.

You passive woofer is just missing the black cover, you could just make something to cover it, they will both do the same job even though they seem to be different colours.

Goodmans Dimension 8 damaged pcb - Help!

Hi all, I’m looking for some technical advice please - subject is what to do about a speaker crossover with a damaged pcb.
Can I repair the pcb or should I try to create a new point to point wired crossover without using a pcb?
Background - Speaker is Goodmans Dimension 8. At some stage in its life one of the crossovers pcb has been physically damaged with a significant break at a couple of points.
My intention was to re-cap them anyway, which is why the crossovers were coming out.
One is pristine (see second photo). I suspect a few things - at some point someone thought work was required on the crossover. In their attempt to get it out, they broke the pcb, and subsequently did some Frankenstein-style repairs on it.
To their credit, the speakers were working, just not sure how! And in their defence, I suspect that the reason the board broke in the first place was the original factory assembler got a bit excessive with the glue on the bottom of one of the coils which has seeped across to the mounting point, effectively glueing it in place .

Regardless of how it arose, I don’t think the pcb can be salvaged, so my question remains - can I replicate the crossover, without using a pcb, by wiring directly between the various components?
What issues should I be aware of with this approach?

And given this was going to be my first attempt at a re-cap, please be gentle....and use small words!😉

Attachments

• 9E5501C4-B9EC-4808-89D7-33B1668600AA.jpeg
    9E5501C4-B9EC-4808-89D7-33B1668600AA.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 019841F7-A797-4753-9220-70086BD21D5A.jpeg
    019841F7-A797-4753-9220-70086BD21D5A.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 2F1E581E-4DD7-458C-B3A8-E7E9E3ED5728.jpeg
    2F1E581E-4DD7-458C-B3A8-E7E9E3ED5728.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 153
If the board is physically holding together then it is possible to bridge a crack in the copper track or bridge a missing section of track simply by soldering lengths of flexible wire across them.

Your photos provide insufficient resolution to see the exact extent of the damage, but patching up would be the easiest option. Done carefully, there will be no effect on the working of the crossover.

Thanks Galu. I’ve posted another photo here with slightly higher resolution.
What gauge wire should I be considering?
And is it possible to recreate / replace the pcb altogether by wiring directly between components , in the same pattern as the pcb?

Attachments

• BBBD7243-3843-48D4-9929-9A3C550508B9.jpeg
    BBBD7243-3843-48D4-9929-9A3C550508B9.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 138
Most of the necessary work has already been done. Anyhow, I'd replace that wire along the left handed edge by some neat 1.5 mm² copper one, solder another wire across the gap at the right handed edge, remove that large insulation washer and check for more cracks beneath it.
Best regards!

First of ... Galu thanks for you post - it helped me to revive my Goodmans. Hodgie - I had the same problem. My crossover arrived cracked ... from the service. So I filled gaps and connected both parts with flexibe wire and it works. I have the same opinion as Galu - your board is amost in one part - just fix it. Vishalk thanks ... your job proved that I can fix my Goodmans as well.
Regards,

J.

Attachments

• Goodmans.jpg
    Goodmans.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
This isn't too bad, just super glue what is broken.

Check to see the silver tracks are not cracked or broken anywhere else.

Like others have mentioned use cable or solder along the tracks sealing them so you have a good join.

Replace the capacitors and you're good to go. Check both crossovers for different values.

And is it possible to recreate / replace the pcb altogether by wiring directly between components , in the same pattern as the pcb?
It's certainly possible, but (a) I don't think it's necessary in this case, and, (b) there's more chance of making mistakes! :eek:

P.S. Don't rely solely on solder to bridge any cracks - bridge with flexible wire to allow for any flexing of the board.- a thin gauge of wire is quite adequate to this task.

Very nice speakers. Deserve attention.
In case someone recreates the old PCB you can go to the Design & Build forum and Parts and pcb's. In case you make copies yourself or from the factory save the vintage originals parts as a must-have if you decide to sell later or as a show piece for audiophiles.

I bought a pair of these recently. The quality of sound and separation is fantastic but the treble is so harsh and exaggerated as to make them almost unlistemable. I thought this might be due to the extra tweeters fitted by the previous owner but I disconnected them today and the improvement is minimal. All the drivers are working and appear to be in good condition. Any advice would be much appreciated.