Good Toroidal Transformer recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I order my transformers from Toroidy.pl - they are cheap, but absolutely worth recommending. My Gainclone went a whole league up after just changing the old trafo (which was previously a very decent Nuvotem Talema) to one of theirs. Make sure to ask for a transformer in "audio realisation" version - these come with a Faraday shield, shielding between windings and grain-ordered steel core as a standard. Also dead quiet.

I recommend also asking them to wind primary over secondary, and to use a 50% thicker wire for secondary (don't ask me why - Peter Daniel tipped me off about this and trafos do seem to sound better this way).

Only thing is, the postage can be quite expensive...

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well,
Goss, not gost :( Goss for "grain oriented silicon steel"
As far as I know, silicon steel is the usual material for transformers magnetic circuits.
I doubt "goss" is best for magnetic shielding, the best is mu-metal or permalloy.

Yes sorry typo its Goss and as you say its purpose is to reduce the stray magnetic field. It may not be as good as MU-metal but its better than nothing

Alan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.