GC passive pre-amp dissapointment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple of notes on Nuuk's buffer:

1) I built mine with all Kiwame carbon resistors. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I recently built another with all Holco and PRP metal films. The metal film version sounds horrible. Unlistenably sterile. The Kiwame's give the circuit a warmth and presence that is missing with metal film resistors.

2) I added 0.22 uF Wimas at the + and - voltage input points and it added a good punch to the bass (fwiw, my PS is a welborne ps1 with the 0.1 film caps replaced by 4.7uF ones).

-d

dsavitsk; I just tried, like you described, small caps on the+/- V inputs. I used 1uf low impedance electrolytics. The sound got less hard on my ears :) Thanks for the idea!

Upupa; Do you think that the buffer is a good design? I asked a Swedish engineer and he thought that it at least SHOULD have low distortion. Thanks for you input, it is much valued.

Adding small value capacitors after the discrete regulators.. why does that make the amp sound audible different? Can that be, from a technical point of view?

Perhaps I have made a mistake somewhere?

I mean, if hearable differences arise from such a small(?) change, there must be distortion involved?

This distortion issue worries me. If I had an oscilloscope, would it be easy to measure if there are big differences after adding caps and such? I can't say that I dare to trust my ears.

Hi Nuuk,

Having nearly finished the main board of your PSU design i am about to start building the second stages of regulation. I am going for the simpler repeat design but will probablyt go with twin second stages ie one for each channel. You talk about adding some capacitance on this second psu but dont really say where. Would it be before or after the regulators or both. And should these be bypassed as well?

So for the constant questions, i really am very new to all this.

Thanks very much for all yours help,

Phil

Hi postpunk,

Thanks, what sort of values should i use? I have got lots of duorexii 100uf and some 1000uf as well would these be any good. Also what value of bypass 1.0uf then 0.1uf sound any good. And like you said all this is before the regulator and nothing after is that right?

fil

Of your available values I think that you should use 1000uf before the regulators, and use the 1uf and 0.1uf after the regulators, like in the first stage.
Sorry I was not clear, don´t bypass the electrolytics before the regulator, after the regulator you put the filmcaps 1uf, 0.1uf. Like in the first stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.