• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB For Salas SSLV1.3 Ultra-BIB

Looks like my reservoir cap ist too big, i will have to bend R1 away from board and solder R2 to the downside of the board. How hot will those resistors get with a total load of 200 mA - 300 mA? Should i wait for a smaller reservoir cap or am i ready to solder this weekend?

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_205822_copy_1600x900.jpg
    IMG_20200507_205822_copy_1600x900.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 507
Joined 2006
Paid Member
During these strange times,
If in another group buy I offered more parts to complete board, up to, and including R1 in several values, does this help anyone?

I have had several requests for it in the pasts. It will make you pay more for shipping, but costs are high anyways at this point.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Has anyone in the EU received PCBs sent during April

My pcbs were sent on the April 1st and last tracking status is from April 9th - “Processed through regional facility JAMAICA NY”. I know that ordinary postal traffic is cut off between US and EU, but occasionally some packets from US arrive to Croatia. I’m trying to determine is packet definitely lost or just delayed due Covid-19 postal traffic restrictions.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
My pcbs were sent on the April 1st and last tracking status is from April 9th - “Processed through regional facility JAMAICA NY”. I know that ordinary postal traffic is cut off between US and EU, but occasionally some packets from US arrive to Croatia. I’m trying to determine is packet definitely lost or just delayed due Covid-19 postal traffic restrictions.

It is difficult to say still. Lets wait a couple weeks. Most have arrived or between returned to me when they close, but 5 or more or lost. a substantial amount way above normal times. If no arrival then, private message me, and I can re-send or refund.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but can I go with a smaller reservoir cap than 6800uf? I’m dealing with a pretty small spot in my chassis and will be stacking my boards. Moreover, it’s a 2U chassis and I have to watch height. The largest cap I can find that meets my needs is 3300uf.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When deciding the reservoir capacitor's value we should consider our transformer's secondary and the load's peak current demand so to know how much DC input voltage is left to work with after losses and AC ripple.

Vpk-pk ripple= I_Load /2*f *C (use Volt Amp Hz Farad)

Don't forget f=50Hz or 60Hz (EUR USA). C=C1 in our circuit. For example when C1=6800uF plug 0.0068 Farad.

A true RMS multimeter can read ripple's AC RMS value when you don't have an oscilloscope to see it peak to peak. Red probe on Rf's bottom leg (the one near Cs) and black probe on the 0V output. Multiply the reading by 3.3 for pk-pk because the waveform's shape is not a perfect sawtooth (x3.46). The actual Vpp result can even prove little better than what the ballpark formula predicted.

When subtracting two bridge diodes Vf loss and Vripple pk-pk for given max load current and the reservoir capacitor used, we want our transformer to provide for all that plus 5V Vin-Vout DC margin for M1 to work best as a CCS.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
When deciding the reservoir capacitor's value we should consider our transformer's secondary and the load's peak current demand so to know how much DC input voltage is left to work with after losses and AC ripple.

Vpk-pk ripple= I_Load /2*f *C (use Volt Amp Hz Farad)

Don't forget f=50Hz or 60Hz (EUR USA). C=C1 in our circuit. For example when C1=6800uF plug 0.0068 Farad.

A true RMS multimeter can read ripple's AC RMS value when you don't have an oscilloscope to see it peak to peak. Red probe on Rf's bottom leg (the one near Cs) and black probe on the 0V output. Multiply the reading by 3.3 for pk-pk because the waveform's shape is not a perfect sawtooth (x3.46). The actual Vpp result can even prove little better than what the ballpark formula predicted.

When subtracting two bridge diodes Vf loss and Vripple pk-pk for given max load current and the reservoir capacitor used, we want our transformer to provide for all that plus 5V Vin-Vout DC margin for M1 to work best as a CCS.

This is outstanding - thanks!!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Rf makes a little extra loss too that we can measure as DC RMS voltage drop across its legs. ;) In general we will not hit input DC starving thresholds with logically chosen transformer outputs and C1 values for the usual loads mated to SSLV1.3. But I gave you the full breakdown to know how things work in case it will be needed. :)