• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB For Salas I-Select Mesmerize Type input selector and volume control

Joined 2017
Paid Member
power to relay-attenuator/encoder?

Hello
Step by step, I got my line-stage/preamp together.
It's
  • Wayne's BA-18
  • VRDN PSU
  • Toroidy 50VA
  • i-select
  • PEC pot (for now)

cinemag output transfos not yet built in (will I need it at all?)

I haven't put them properly (the boards are floating in the chassis and the wires are still a little too long, so it looks messier than it will be)

I would like to incorporate a elma relay-attenuator (replacing the PEC) with a "simple" encoder, no display/remote/motor, and therefor need some tiny bit of current (9VDC, 50mA).

i-select is fed 18VAC (from the toroid) and provides 12VDC out, feeding the selector-leds... It would be cool if I could have it feeding the attenuator-board too, but... can it? how do I get 9V out of 12V? (now you see how little I know :eek: )

If I understand the attenuator correctly, it's working in a "similar" way as the i-select: signal is routed through the relays, so the encoder and "current-provider" isn't so deadly important?

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    830.9 KB · Views: 380
  • Relay-Attenuator-Datasheet-DE-2.pdf
    596.2 KB · Views: 117
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Many ways. A. RC cell for voltage drop and filtering if the relay attenuator has steady predictable current consumption so to calculate R for 3V drop. B. 7809 post regulator fed from 12V. C. 3V dropping blue LED in series that stands the needed current (if you can stand it's inside box glow). D. Many diodes in series. E. Low voltage Zener. Etc.

Yes, power controlling the relays does not mix with the signal they actually pass so a simple power line solution is adequate.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The Group buy for Salas boards is now open and will close on April 11 at 11:59PM ESTI am starting to send out invoices to previous group buy purchasers.
I will be sending out private messages as well with instructions as well in the next few days.Please be sure that your spreadsheet cell meets your requirements, then read the instructions in the group buy FAQ in my signature. Things have changed for all UK buyers and shipping costs have increased and shipping times increased.

Once complete, reply to my private message with required information.
Private message me with any instructions. I assume you know what your ordering and have components not ordered to complete project.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
This is the last week to pre-order boards for the group buy.

The Group buy for Salas boards is now open and will close on April 11 at 11:59PM EST. I am starting to send out invoices to previous group buy purchasers.
I will be sending out private messages as well with instructions as well in the next few days. Please be sure that your spreadsheet cell meets your requirements, then read the instructions in the group buy FAQ in my signature. Things have changed for all UK buyers and shipping costs have increased and shipping times increased.

Once complete, reply to my private message with required information.
Private message me with any instructions. I assume you know what your ordering and have components not ordered to complete project.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
i-select's power-supply for a second set of relays?

Hello everybody
I use the i-select for the input-selection in my WBA-18 linestage.
It works absolutely perfect.
I already use the 12Vdc out for the selector's leds and to power a second relay-bar (elma relay attenuator :cool:)...

Here's my problem: I think I would like to have a second (or third with the elma counted in) set of relay-selectors, but not a second i-select, for a output-selector that would switch between HP, normal out, +6dB out (through cinemag xformers) and maybe even a mute position... (which could also be a separate pushbutton if such would be possible?)

i-select with its 12V out and pot-readiness would be overkill for that, something like just the relay-section would be perfect.

I couldn't find a solution or build-guide myself, and thus I ask the community for pointers to build-guides or ready solutions...

anyone?

Many thanks
david

Hi all..

I'm going to be using my inselect board in a Salas DCG3 that I'm finally hoping to wrap up in the coming weeks. This will be my second 'headphone/preamp' build, the first being a Whammy. On that build, I was given some really nice shielded microphone cable (2 signal/1gnd) that worked really nicely, unfortunately the writing on the cable isn't legible..

I'm trying to decide what kind of wire to use to hook up the inselect board to the inputs, as well as the output -> DCG3 input.. Any recommendations on a good mic cable, or something else that I'm not considering? All ears!

Thanks much in advance!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

I would use known quality professional audio shielded coax. Flexible dual core for each stereo input to selector and out from it to the vol pot (used as L,R hot & commoned gnd). Thicker single core between pot and DCG3 inputs. Same from DCG3 line outputs to RCAs and from the headphone outputs to their jack.

Google "Mogami bulk cable USA". Some vendors will come up that also sell by the foot. W2944 for dual is Neglex OFC. W2497 is thick single Neglex OFC.

Perfect! I wish I'd known about those strippers before building my Aleph J! I have some very small coax that I bought from ApexJr that works really well but I was pulling my hair out trying to strip those wires!

I settled on a combination of rolling the wire between a cutting board and razor blade combined with a very gentle "chewing" procedure.. lol..

Last edited: