• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for R2R audio volume / input selection pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just checking what is in the build notes as I sort a Farnell order out.

R2R Shunt

R30 10k 10k
R31 82k 16k
R32 2.5k 0
R33 47k 10k
R34 5.8k 0
R35 27k 4.7k
R36 15k 0
R37 16k 2k
R38 53k 0
R39 12k 510
R40 390k 0
R41 10k 10

Are these figures for the resistor steps correct for the different versions?

I'm going to build the R2R version.

Cheers

Just checking what is in the build notes as I sort a Farnell order out.

R2R Shunt

R30 10k 10k
R31 82k 16k
R32 2.5k 0
R33 47k 10k
R34 5.8k 0
R35 27k 4.7k
R36 15k 0
R37 16k 2k
R38 53k 0
R39 12k 510
R40 390k 0
R41 10k 10

Are these figures for the resistor steps correct for the different versions?

I'm going to build the R2R version.

Cheers

Yes, above mentioned values are correct.

Regards,
Tibi

Yes, above mentioned values are correct.

Regards,
Tibi

I'm getting my head around this build.

I'm using R2R configuration. Do I need to install links spanning J2 and J3 on the relay boards? I pretty sure I do.

I've even soldered the ATmega in place now. I assume that the +5V from the programmer (I'm using the USBtinyISP programmer), pushed through on pin 2 of the ISP interface doesn't get to the VCC pins on the AVR? So the AVR needs the power from the relay board to be able to programme it.

Is JP1 the same as the R2R/Sh jumper on the Control and Display board? Which way do I set it to programme the chip?

I'm growing to really like SMD work...

Cheers

Can I expect my pre-programmed ATmega in the post?

Right slowly getting there.

I have the board powered up and avrdude seeing the ATmega16 chip.

First thing I did was to to set the fuses as in the manual

fuses.png

I used this command

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m16 -P lpt1 -U lfuse:w:0xEF:m -U hfuse:w:0xC9:m

avrdude completed, read back the fuse data.

Now avrdude -c usbtiny -p m16 generates the rc-1 error and I can't see the chip anymore.

I think I need a little help please.

Cheers

Figured out my error, wrong fuse settings. I thought I'd bricked the chip, but with a neat bit of soldering and using a CD clock I managed to unbrick the chip and reset the fuses to 0x24 for low and 0x99 for high. The picture in the manual is very misleading for newbies.

So, I've flashed the chip with a .hex for R2R shunt and the LCD display now works, as does the encoder for volume control. Next on the list is to solder the relays on to the relay board and see if that all works.

Quite a learning experience.

Cheers

As you can imagine my disapointment when I realised that I had bricked the chip with the wrong fuses. It was late at night and I'd just had to removed and resolder the 12 way, smd connector...

And then to strip half of my CD player apart, wire the clock up to those tiny, 1mm wide XTAL pins (thank god you didn't have to strap them to GND!) and get the ATMega chip to relearn the right fuse settings was a a real moment of joy.

Yeah, I've being using avrdude and the USBTiny programmer. Other than Win7 constantly loosing the USB connection with programmer (not a problem under linux) I've not had any major difficulties with either of them.

One thing not working, and I've tried four different remote controls, is the IR functions. I assume the remote_set (S1) isn't working correctly.

Is there a due date for v2 of the firmware?

Cheers

One thing not working, and I've tried four different remote controls, is the IR functions. I assume the remote_set (S1) isn't working correctly.

Is there a due date for v2 of the firmware?

Cheers

We mentioned in this thread that S1 (IR learning) is not available in V1.
Volume-controller V2 board will be released soon. This will have a new firmware who will support infrared remote learning as well. :)

Regards,
Tibi

Tibi,

The IR function is still not doing as it should. I've tried four remote controllers and a 'scanning' universal controller, but the board refuses to 'see' the controller. I've used both 36kHz and 38kHz versions of IR receiver. Can you help please?

A little about the board's configuration...

I have the clock set to 8Mhz. CKSEL3:0 is set to 0100. SUT1:0 is set to 10. BODLEVEL and BODEN both set to 1 (unprogrammed). So the low fuse is 11100100 = 0xE4.

Bit Bit No. Description Value
BODLEVEL 7 Brown-out Det. trig. level 1 (unprogrammed)
BODEN 6 Brown-out Detector enable 1 (unprogrammed)
SUT1 5 Select start-up time 1 (unprogrammed)
SUT0 4 Select start-up time 0 (programmed)
CKSEL3 3 Select Clock source 0 (programmed)
CKSEL2 2 Select Clock source 1 (unprogrammed)
CKSEL1 1 Select Clock source 0 (programmed)
CKSEL0 0 Select Clock source 0 (programmed)

The high fuse looks like
Bit Bit No. Description Value
OCDEN 7 Enable OCD 1 (unprogrammed)
JTAGEN 6 Enable JTAG 1 (unprogrammed)
SPIEN 5 Enable SPI Downloading 0 (programmed)
CKOPT 4 Oscillator options 1 (unprogrammed)
EESAVE 3 EEPROM memory is preserved 1 (unprogrammed)
BOOTSZ1 2 Select Boot Size 1 (unprogrammed)
BOOTSZ0 1 Select Boot Size 1 (unprogrammed)
BOOTRST 0 Select reset vector 1 (unprogrammed)

11011111 = 0xDF

I may have done something a little wrong, but I'm not sure...

Cheers

Last edited:
chiily,

I can not comment on a firmware which is not made by us. So please try to set your VC using vicol-audio original firmware.
Setting any universal remote should take only few minutes. Just manually scan till the VC power off - do not use auto-scan as this can be faster than VC response.

Regards,
Tibi

My controller

My version of this volume controller with FarmTech's firmware, connected after a NOS DAC and JBoz like preamp.

The controller worked smoothly from first, just follow the instructions.

...the case is yet to be finished :)

:cheers:

Attachments

• DSC_4529_2.jpg
    DSC_4529_2.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_4528_2.jpg
    DSC_4528_2.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC_4527_2.jpg
    DSC_4527_2.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC_4533_2.jpg
    DSC_4533_2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 206
Version 2.1b boards

Latest version 2.1b boards are ready for shipping.
Thanks for your patience, in the next two weeks we begin to meet all orders.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• IMG_5149.jpg
    IMG_5149.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 186
  • DanZup_VC_v2.1b.jpg
    DanZup_VC_v2.1b.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 140
  • DanZup-VC_v2.1b.jpg
    DanZup-VC_v2.1b.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 101
Hello,

Now on the webshop you have following options:

1. Only PCB board - You get the board seen in my previous post
2. PCB with Atmel - You get the board and Atmel microcontroller mounted and programmed
3. Ready mounted - You get the whole volume-controller mounted and tested. All you need is to power (9V/1A trafo) and connect to your pre/power amplifier.
4. Balanced version - You get the balanced volume-controller mounted and tested. All you need is to power (9V/1A trafo) and connect to your pre/power amplifier.

Please do not forget to add shipping at the end of your order.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.