• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for R-2R Volume Controller with 4 inputs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Tibi

I did receive my Volume controller today and everything was intact and in good shape.
However i did noticed that some parts are missing on the board and i m posting a photo of what i mean by that.
IMG_0527s_zpskrfjp1pu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Those Q1 - Q6 are missing here and also some resistors (R4-R7)
I did not put it on test cause i would like to be sure is proper made first.

Thanks
Thanos

Hi Tibi

I did receive my Volume controller today and everything was intact and in good shape.
However i did noticed that some parts are missing on the board and i m posting a photo of what i mean by that.
IMG_0527s_zpskrfjp1pu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Those Q1 - Q6 are missing here and also some resistors (R4-R7)
I did not put it on test cause i would like to be sure is proper made first.

Thanks
Thanos

Hi Thanos,

Your volume controller is proper made. :)
Use a 6V 1A trafo to power.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi to all,
I received today, also. A full kit like Lampes and a bare pcb.

Thanos the Q1-6 that missing correlated to the JTAG Function, as the Atmega datasheet says.

Tibi, many thanks for the detailed directions about how to make this right.

I don't used the diyaudio wiki before. Where we can to set our questions to wiki or here?

Hi to all,
I received today, also. A full kit like Lampes and a bare pcb.

Thanos the Q1-6 that missing correlated to the JTAG Function, as the Atmega datasheet says.

Tibi, many thanks for the detailed directions about how to make this right.

I don't used the diyaudio wiki before. Where we can to set our questions to wiki or here?

Q1 - Q6 are relay drivers. Depending on firmware these can be used or not.

All bare boards have been programmed with Q1 and Q6 in place, so you need to mount them as on the wiki.

Wiki have a discussion tab. use it if you need support, but I suggest you let to let me finish the wiki first.

Regards,
Tibi

With the 9Vac trafo, there is no any risk to fried the circuit.

I think so, that the only disadvantage with a 9Vac trafo is a bigger amount of heating from the metal plate of dc reg to the local pcb area. It uses an area of pcb like a heat-sink.

This could be an issue at summer days, specially in countries with high temperatures.
Have I right, Tibi?

With the 9Vac trafo, there is no any risk to fried the circuit.

I think so, that the only disadvantage with a 9Vac trafo is a bigger amount of heating from the metal plate of dc reg to the local pcb area. It uses an area of pcb like a heat-sink.

This could be an issue at summer days, specially in countries with high temperatures.
Have I right, Tibi?

Yep, you are right. With a 9Vac trafo you get too much power dissipated over 7805 regulator.

Regards,
Tibi

Today I tried the new kit from the direct input only with a RC5 remote control.

Tibi, I think that there is a fw bug. When this turn on, the volume is maximum while the display appears -63. Just you pressed the down key of the remote the volume is come back to normal.
The same is done when you pressed the "on/off" to going to standby, after the repress to stand-up the same behavior...max. and so on.

I think that this behavior there isn't at the last 3.12 fw that downloading from your site and install to my other older kit.

Tibi, I think that there is a fw bug. When this turn on, the volume is maximum while the display appears -63. Just you pressed the down key of the remote the volume is come back to normal.
The same is done when you pressed the "on/off" to going to standby, after the repress to stand-up the same behavior...max. and so on.

I think that this behavior there isn't at the last 3.12 fw that downloading from your site and install to my other older kit.

I'll check this and provide a fw update if necessary.

Thanks & Regards,
Tibi

Tibi,

Today I checked again the older board 2.1.b with the last 3.12 fw and works fine.

I compared the two boards, side by side and I found a second fw bug.
When the display is at zoom mode and you change the input, the controller doesn't refresh the whole display with data but only the upper right part. It mixes the zoom with the input data together.

Which board ? with transistors or without transistors ?
Please post pictures of board because at this time we have a lot of boards and firmware with depending on what is solder on them .
As a rule of thumb :
- firmware named without letters "tr" are for boards that have all transistors mounted so :ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_11.hex and ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_12.hex will be used on board with all transistors mounted
- firmware named with letters "tr" are for boards that do NOT have all transistors mounted so :ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_12_fara_tr.hex and ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_12_fara_tr_diy_audio.hex will be used on board without all transistors mounted and that have mounted ST1...ST6 on board .
ST1... ST6 are zero ohm jumpers that bypass Q1...Q6 and Atmel microcontroller will command direct the relay for R2r.
This firmware are not all direct compatible for this cause .
So please be carefully what you program on your board . Version with letters diyaudio in names will print at power on "Volume controll" and " diyaudio.com " on LCD , the other will print " vicol audio" and "Quasar " .
I have checked again all those firmware and did not see those 2 bugs you are referred to .
Attention : for old type of board you must use ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_12.hex that are the only one upgrade will work.
If you think you find bug please let me know and post some descriptions here .
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_11.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 65
  • ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_12.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 44
  • ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_12_fara_tr.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_12_fara_tr_diy_audio.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
And some release history:
'(**************************************************************************
Ir Volume Control Ver.3.12 without transistors command r2r
(c) Danzup R / 2r Lcd Version (January 2015)
Corected issue regarding save of input text in EEprom (do not forgot
to Press Mute To Store The Text For Input In Eeprom). v3.12
Disconnect input at max att if continue with encoder to minimum . v3.11 (November 2014)
Different Use Of Backlight Menu and new routine optimise , Modified 2.03.2013 v3.6 - v3.7.
Corected Issue From 3.5 On 28.02.2013
Modified On 14.01.2013 Clean Main Code v3.4
Cleaning For The Code : Now Do Not Use Timer1 (Free timer1)
Volume Show Attenuation From -63db To 0db v3.3
Modified Mute Menu
Added Without Timeout On Volume Relay R2R; 05.06.2012 v3.2
Added Backlight Control Auto Or Allways On(auto = Off After Ca 10 Sec)
Added Learn New Rc5 Remote : You Need A Rc5 Remote With Min 10 Buttons
Added Edit Input Select Text Via Lcd & Remote
Added New Rc5 Decoder(dont Use Bascom Getrc5)
Added Total New Lcd Design For Level Meter / Input / Volume / Volume Bar
Added Save Settings To Eeprom On Power Off
Menu :
Allways Return To Volume Control Via Encoder On Exit(auto Exit Menu After About 10 Sec)
Volume : Turn Encoder Left / Right To Adjuse Volume
Input : Turn Encoder Left / Right To Select What Input You Like To Use(cd , Tuner , Dvd Or Aux)
Light : Turn Encoder Left / Right To Select Auto Or On
New Rc5 : Just Turn Encoder To Enter The Setup Via Lcd(11 Step To Add Neww Rc5 Remote)
Edit Text : Just Turn Encoder To Enter Change Input Select Text And Use Remote Via Lcd To Change It
Light : Backlight On Lcd Auto Or On
Menu / Light Turn Encoder Left / Right To Select Auto(off After 10 Sec) Or On(allways On)
New Rc5 Remote :
Menu / Select New Rc5 And Turn Encoder
Now You Will Be Ask To Push A Button
If Your Remote Is A Rc5 It Will Continue The Setup Else Push Menu To Exit(not A Rc5 Remote)
You Need A Remote With Min 10 Buttons To Setup The Controller
Power On / Off , Ch + , Ch - , Vol + , Vol - , Mute , And 4 Buttons For Direct Select Input
When Done It Store The New Remote In Eeprom And Use This Rc5 Setup
Its A Good Idea To Do It Even If Your Remote Vorks Fine Then Its Setup In Eeprom !
Edit Input Text :
Menu / Edit Text And Turn Encoder(you Need The Remote To Do The Rest)
Lcd Will Now Show The Input Text For Input 1 On Line 1 Line 2 Show A Letter(a)
Use Vol - To Select The Input Text You Like To Edit(show On Line 1)
To Edit The Text Do This :
Use Ch + To Scroll Letter Up / Ch - Is Down
When You Have The Letter You Like To Use Press Vol+
Now It Show The New Letter On Line 2 You Have Letter & The Next Letter
Use Ch + Ch - To Select Next Letter And Push Vol + Ect Untill You Have The Text You Like To Use Max 7 Chars
Press Mute To Store The Text For Input In Eeprom(if You Have Used All 7 Chars It Auto Save The Text Use Vol - To Select New Text To Edit Or)
If You Like To Edit Other Input Text Use Vol - To Select The Input Text And Do The Steps Again(ch + Ch - Mute)
If You Are Done Edit Text Press Power On / Off On Remote(exit Edit And Return To Normal)
'********************************************************************************
')

Tibi,

Today I checked again the older board 2.1.b with the last 3.12 fw and works fine.

I compared the two boards, side by side and I found a second fw bug.
When the display is at zoom mode and you change the input, the controller doesn't refresh the whole display with data but only the upper right part. It mixes the zoom with the input data together.

Thank you, Manolis for feedback ! I'll also check and see if I can reproduce this.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Many fw...

My full version of kit is identical like Lampes at the 101 post. Only Q7, Q8 on the pcb.

At start up write "Vicol Audio...." with fw 3.12 w/t tr.

I make a small video about Voltage Output Issue.
I can't make a good job with a blue display (oh men it was trouble!).

At the left is the new kit, at the right is the older kit with the 3.12 fw (Quasar) that upload before a week.

Under R2R kit there is a multimeter that measures the L-output of each them.

The two R2R kits are feed with the same 1KHz sinusoidal signal (1.6Vrms) from a signal generator.
As you can see at the start, I have set the same -63dB volume at the two R2R. The output is a few mV
I press the stand by button and after this I repress the stand by to recover. Just the fw loaded the newer kit seems the full scale ≈1.6Vrms and the older the right level of output, the level is -63dB.
At the next, I increase the output level of R2R and I repeat the same at the -44dB...the same behavior!

I forget to capture the second bug, I seen that this re-product only from the remote control each time to press a different input at the zoom mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxKERCBZhU&feature=youtu.be

Many fw...

My full version of kit is identical like Lampes at the 101 post. Only Q7, Q8 on the pcb.
At start up write "Vicol Audio...." with fw 3.12 w/t tr.
I make a small video about Voltage Output Issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxKERCBZhU&feature=youtu.be

The firmware version is ok : for the green board 3.12 fw (Quasar) is ok and for the new one 3.12 w/t tr is ok .
Can you do on the board white (2.1.c) an upload of firmware (hex) again ?
You must use :ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_12_fara_tr.hex or ATM16_R2R_LCD_Vicol_v3_12_fara_tr_diy_audio.hex .

Manolis,

You can adjust LCD contrast using P1.

The only function of Q1 - Q6 transistors is to drive relays. With or without these do not make any difference in terms of volume controller operation. The firmware difference is that microcontroller ports are inverted.

Please write the firmware advised by Dan and let us know.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.