• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks Salas,

My next thought goes back to some original warnings of the DC B1 and offset, assuming using with a capless F5 or Aleph-P may be problematic here, is it simple enough to put a 1uf-5uf cap in series or shunt with the input?? I am assuming that if the DCB1 is set well operationally, then using it is not a problem unless there is a failure. Of course, using some expensive drivers, I may want to consider putting a cap somewhere.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
AndrewT said:
shorting the output to signal ground sounds far better.

Its better not to have yet one more contact in series with the signal, but I remember a thread of a guy with a gain clone that his amp oscillated and dc drifted when his preamp was muting to ground (or floated, never got clear on that.) Do you consider it generally safe to ground mute?
Link

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tea-Bag said:
Thanks Salas,

My next thought goes back to some original warnings of the DC B1 and offset, assuming using with a capless F5 or Aleph-P may be problematic here, is it simple enough to put a 1uf-5uf cap in series or shunt with the input?? I am assuming that if the DCB1 is set well operationally, then using it is not a problem unless there is a failure. Of course, using some expensive drivers, I may want to consider putting a cap somewhere.

Use 1 cap in F5's input if you find it tolerable, without a cap input amp you are taking a risk. In our case if one side of the regs fails, the DC B1 is going to pass serious DC. Of course I see much less chance at the low load the regs work and the heavy Mosfets, maybe far lower risk than some F5 output Mosfet failing or in any non single ended solid state amp for that matter, but the risk is yours to take or not. I have described all that in the most early posts so to be understood. I don't officially recommend any DC input amp for total safety with DC B1. OK an asteroid can hit our planet any day. Not even cosmos is bullet proof safe.:D

Salas said:
Its better not to have yet one more contact in series with the signal,
would be easy to connect the relay terminal to an existing connection on the output side of the 220r/1k0 that buffers the load from the active stage.
I do not see the need for any extra series contacts.

It's upto to the design team to ensure the output remains stable when the load is the grounded output resistor.

I am missing something here. Looking at the schematic in post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1884287#post1884287 (is that the one we are still talking about?) I see that the output has 1M across it, so we already have a connection to ground that the subsequent stage sees. I also note that we already have an output relay in D27.

Am I looking at the wrong schematic? (As a side note, maybe we can have a pointer to the schematic on the GB Wiki.)

peter

Hi

yeah thats the schematic of the deluxe b1, the recent discussion about the mute relay is for the basic b1. The dc offset becomes a concern if you turn off the Basic B1.. the dc offset rises from 3mV to 400mV.

Salas suggest of adding a mute relay for the Basic B1 just to prevent this problem.

The Deluxe B1 is working perferctly on my F5.. its been playing all day now..

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
xaudiox said:
Hi

yeah thats the schematic of the deluxe b1, the recent discussion about the mute relay is for the basic b1. The dc offset becomes a concern if you turn off the Basic B1.. the dc offset rises from 3mV to 400mV.

Salas suggest of adding a mute relay for the Basic B1 just to prevent this problem.

The Deluxe B1 is working perferctly on my F5.. its been playing all day now..

So why not add this proven delay schematic to the basic B1 that will surely not give problems. If it does not create anything bad with an F5 which is a full DC coupled amp without any output delay or protection, I guess its a good test.

Salas said:
So why not add this proven delay schematic to the basic B1 that will surely not give problems. If it does not create anything bad with an F5 which is a full DC coupled amp without any output delay or protection, I guess its a good test.

In the interest of avoiding grief for some poor soul I'd say, do include it. (I changed my GB participation from Basic to Deluxe because I want that relay on the output...)

peter

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
schro20 said:

In the interest of avoiding grief for some poor soul I'd say, do include it. (I changed my GB participation from Basic to Deluxe because I want that relay on the output...)

peter

My original basic had that. Crt's did not. But in the light of xaudiox's DC offset power off monitoring results I guess it must be back there as per original.

Great work guys. Great to hear that the deluxe works well.

My own preparations:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And the results from matching the first dozen or so of 30 2SK170BLs:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I got a good yield from the 2SK170s, I have 10 very closely matching pairs and 4 sets of not-so-closely matching pairs and the just 2 real singletons. Much better than I thought it would be. The 2SJ74 I bought at the same time are not so good at matching, only got 2 pairs out of 9 units. Must do the 2SK117 I have as well soon and see how they fare out.

Fran

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Regarding aux power for relays, used for LDR att

Could it be regulated for 5V as well, to feed a Lightspeed LDR att?

Maybe just by using another small reg board

This way of "stealing" power from just one rail I suppose works due to the reg design

Does this mean that its possible to just connect an aux 5V reg board, to fed the LDR att