• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

boards arrived yesterday, they look great!! so pretty in blue. now to decide on a final location for them and budget for errmm non-necessities :D think I might go nichicon KG instead of mundorf, much as I love the mundorf in my sigma22 power supplies for my dac, I dont know that I can justify another 100 for caps for this build. i'll be blowing enough on boutique resistors as it is (think letter Z). depends on when it closes, i'm in no hurry and with a 25% off sale at part connection (happens pretty often) i'm not sure I need to. nothing against the GB, its a great service!!

thanks guys for putting this all together!!

edit: I see the mundorf GB has happened already; lucky I wasnt too committed ;) they do look sexy though, as they do on my dac PSUs

Last edited:
boards arrived yesterday, they look great!! so pretty in blue. now to decide on a final location for them and budget for errmm non-necessities :D think I might go nichicon KG instead of mundorf, much as I love the mundorf in my sigma22 power supplies for my dac, I dont know that I can justify another 100 for caps for this build. i'll be blowing enough on boutique resistors as it is (think letter Z). depends on when it closes, i'm in no hurry and with a 25% off sale at part connection (happens pretty often) i'm not sure I need to. nothing against the GB, its a great service!!

thanks guys for putting this all together!!

edit: I see the mundorf GB has happened already; lucky I wasnt too committed ;) they do look sexy though, as they do on my dac PSUs

qusp,

It might be cheaper for you to go directly to Texas Components Corporation to purchase Z foil resistors. That's where I got mine. They are U.S.$9 there versus $15 at the Parts Connexion. Even with PC's sales, you can't beat $9 for the resistor. I'm using the Vishay TX2575 resistors (Zfoil) for all the series resistance (i.e. 220 ohms) and then using Caddock TFO20 for the rest in the buffer circuit. Adds up pretty quick!

Anand.

qusp,

It might be cheaper for you to go directly to Texas Components Corporation to purchase Z foil resistors. That's where I got mine. They are U.S.$9 there versus $15 at the Parts Connexion. Even with PC's sales, you can't beat $9 for the resistor. I'm using the Vishay TX2575 resistors (Zfoil) for all the series resistance (i.e. 220 ohms) and then using Caddock TFO20 for the rest in the buffer circuit. Adds up pretty quick!

Anand.
Can we have a picture of your collection of jewels? :bomb:

Can I substitute the bipolar transistors with different models?

For example the BC550/560 ones with 2n3906/2n3904? Maybe something for the BC-517 as well? Not that they're hard to find or anything, but I've a huge box of transistor soup here - 2n3XX, 2n5XX, A, S, C - all kinds of prefixes basically and if I can use them already, I don't see why not.

I guess finding replacements for the relay drivers isn't a problem, but what about the ones in the regulator itself?

the FET driver needs medium speed (fT~200MHz) and highish gain (hFE>300).

The relay driver needs medium Ic (>100mA) and good gain at high current (>200 @ 5mA)
hFE>150 @10mA and 20mA saturated @ Ic/Ib>10 for 0.1Vce.

If using a 5V relay, then maybe Ic>150mA, 40mA sat @ Ic/Ib>10 for 0.1Vce.

But, watch all the different pin outs.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Shall we do another Mes GB?

Salas and I are going to attempt to re-issue some Mesmerizes. We looking for at least 50 units to sell.
Figured that this won't directly interfere with Blue Edition demand, so it's a good time to offer it.
Some people really liked this gadget because of it's relay switched inputs.
We are going to open a potential group buy sheet for a couple of weeks to see if there is real interest. The price would be 14.00 dollars, a single sided board, and would use 2 oz copper instead of 1.

Here is a blurry pic of my original DCB1 Mesmerize.

Here is the sign up sheet.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnAnd3RI56NmdFJPNGVjSzB1T2F6X1MwNlNDeHBDamc&hl=en

Attachments

• mesmerize.jpg
    mesmerize.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
the FET driver needs medium speed (fT~200MHz) and highish gain (hFE>300).

Right, that would eliminate the 2n39XXs in that case, as they're below those specs. I'll see what else I've got in stock.

The relay driver needs medium Ic (>100mA) and good gain at high current (>200 @ 5mA)
hFE>150 @10mA and 20mA saturated @ Ic/Ib>10 for 0.1Vce.

If using a 5V relay, then maybe Ic>150mA, 40mA sat @ Ic/Ib>10 for 0.1Vce.

Those I'm sure I can find in the "generic transistor" bag.

But, watch all the different pin outs.

This is actually worrying me more than going trough the datasheets for electrical characteristics. I'll end up getting 1 transistor the wrong way, because I forgot it's using a different pinout, sooner or later :)

Thanks AndrewT, that's a lot of help, as usual.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Will the new Mezmerize board have the beefed up power supply of the Blue Hypno?

No, its not a redesign, just a better quality pcb reissue. There were some voices about missing the Mez full pre, so we thought we can try out and see if there will be some minimum interest in signing up for it. It was something we promised earlier in this thread. That one is not normally being gauged for a reg only heavier use, so its psu is adequate for uF.