• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Gb: F5 Pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you very much for your reply, i ve just noticed this message on the home page of the store.

"The store is being upgraded to handle our new logistics system. You can look forward to same day shipping, insurance tracking and more when we re-open in just a few days.
Please do not place any orders through the store until further notice."

Not sure if this might be the reason . .

Hello,

Thank you Cviller & Tea-Bag for your replies, yep its all up and running now, I had an email response also from the DIY Audio Store and they confirm the site is now set up for UK shipping, so I placed my order for the F5 boards 

Thanks again

BTW Tea-Bag, are you still running your F5 with Toshiba MOSFET - 1K & 0.22R set up, or IR & Fairchild 2.2K & 0.47R set up? as I have both sets of MOSFET's, but can only build one amp and wasn't sure which would give the best overall performance?
Hope you can help

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I run Toshiba Mosfet's now, although the National's are not bad sounding at all. They do require the thermistor's IMO to keep bias stable.
The Toshiba's seem to run very stable on bias, and are as detailed with maybe a little less upper end emphasis. Maybe a bit more hi fi vs musical, but that's just an opinion.
I would use them and prefer them. It's not night and day however.
I use caddock MP930 .47R's now , with 1K resistor and 5K pot, but a 2.2K resistor and 2K pot will give you a lot of tweak room. The VGS is lower on the Toshiba's (wont see 4.2v across R3 resistor.) So bias up quickly.
I've had more sound changes from FET changes and changing the input 1K resistor and 47R gate resistor between brands to suit taste.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Eh, which ones you say require thermistors?
I only asking because I thought I heard that toshibas don't..
Correct, Toshiba's dont need thermistors. National Semi's do.
Tea-Bag, Have you experimented with different kinds of chassis wire for the speaker output?

Thanks
Nope. Either Kimber or any PTFE wire. I can't hear a difference in wire in chassis, but I also use only 3-4 inches input or output per channel.

I wrote about some of the sound changes in my blog if that helps.
My notes of course are not gospel by any stretch.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you Tea-Bag for your reply,

Sorry if this sounds thick, but when you talk about tweak room:

Are we talking about achieving a higher Bias or what improvements would be noticed with using these values?

Thank you.

Sorry, it will give you more room on the pots to adjust bias, so it wont be as 'twitchy' for lack of a better term. The Toshibas can use lower values here in my experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.