Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is splendidly off-topic, so I don't feel too bad about jumping in and defending (some of) the music that's been made since the 1990s.

Mainstream music has always been crap. You always had to seek it out. There was never a golden age. I grew up in the 60s/70s and hated 90% of it.

But 2% of it, god how I loved that. There are now definitely people young enough to be my grandkids hating 90% and being passionate about the 2%.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's already there.

Has anyone else noticed how horizontal capacitors sound so much better than vertical ones? Faster, more slam, better sound stage and timing, with more air and less of a Protestant sound. Cost loads more, but well worth it. My 400 gram vinyl recordings of left-handed piano music have never sounded so good.

edit: I mean no offense to those of faith. Indeed, my Vatican recordings of Original Sine waves are to die for.

Reactions: 6 users
like i said, opinions vary, but im not forcing any views on anyone, i have owned some pretty nice vintage marantz, fisher and McIntosh, all where great to a point, but at the end of the day they do not compare, i speak from experience and ownership, i wonder how many claiming "highend" is overpriced and overrated can say the same
Another example of a setup with that "infinite" (relatively...) distance behind the speakers, whereas my home doesnt have the architecture to be able to do that anywhere, except outside. They should have a name for that setup.

Reactions: 1 user
Horizontal capacitors superior?, of course. You see, in the common capacitor, the electrolyte in the HORIZONTAL configuration stays evenly distributed & function consistently. The vertical orientation "pools" the electrolyte towards the "bottom" and valence-charges moving across the body of the capacitor encounter capacitive tunneling charges IF the flow originates from bottom to top. Perfectly logical...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody mentioned speakers.
Not only are they essential, they have remained the same basic design for decades, with only improvements in materials used.

And the music has to play through them, even earphones are miniature speakers...

The best amp will sound mediocre if the speakers are bad.

There should a standard sound level test, say the speakers will be tested at a level of 80 dB, at a fixed distance from the listener.

That should sort the wheat from the chaff in many ways...

If left handed piano music is played on vinyl, does the record have to rotate anticlockwise ?
Apparently there's a recording of Bolaro that plays from the inside - out; something to do with the music getting loader at the end.
That actually makes sense!

I have a King Kurt record that plays from the inside out. It drops the stylus onto the chassis of the turntable at the end.

Nobody mentioned speakers.
Not only are they essential, they have remained the same basic design for decades, with only improvements in materials used.

And the music has to play through them, even earphones are miniature speakers...

The best amp will sound mediocre if the speakers are bad.
And the best speakers will sound mediocre if the room is bad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a King Kurt record that plays from the inside out. It drops the stylus onto the chassis of the turntable at the end.
I like the performance art aspect.

Someone a lot more artsy than me should design a record that plays from the inside out, can only be played once and then rips off the stylus. Should be a real hit with the Clearaudio crowd.

Does Banksy have an account here?

Another example of a setup with that "infinite" (relatively...) distance behind the speakers, whereas my home doesnt have the architecture to be able to do that anywhere, except outside. They should have a name for that setup.

"Round these parts, that is known as the Lonely Bachelor alignment. Myself, I'm running the IDGAF Variation, which is the same as above but set up along the long dimension of the room. Even more obnoxious decor-wise, but man it sure sounds good. (Hence the name.)

The thing is... and this is not my own personal opinion of course, but it's a plain old fact that not everything expensive is actually better.
Putting a hefty price tag on something, and/or even justifying a brand name, and then claiming that it's the best/finest thing in the world is simply talk........ talk, that's all.
Most people are not privy or educated enough to rationalize or dispute quality or performance levels of such things as audio products, video, or even automobiles.
And adding to that, long-term word-of-mouth hype generates a certain continuous pattern of a given product.
As was mentioned previously, this sort of thing has been around for centuries, just like adorning the dead with jewels, gold, and elaborate burial gifts.
The label of preciousness given to such things is a human designation.
But gold is just a metal, a rock, like jewels are.. humans gave it their own meaning.

People that have bought into that hype, spent their money, and are confronted with another individual's different or opposing opinion don't want to face reality about their investment....

(Back on topic)

There’s a guy that firmly believes that his million dollar crap stereo sounds best if the door on his breaker box is open. Or maybe it was best closed. Any opinions on this? Do steel breaker boxes sound better that plastic? :cool:
People like that guy are eccentrics, obsessed, odd.
It's a shame that there are many around in society like that.

I keep my steel breaker box closed, I hate when the electricity leaks out of it.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.