Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that it's also a matter of marketing strategies, which make people nuts, obsessed, and continually investing in "the latest".
Well, I don't know if you really realize the following, but when you say those things about marketing and vintage and all-analog you are just using your heart, not your brain (even if you try to disguise, I believe you have a big heart IMHO), just because if you were a marketing manager you would do the same thing that you criticize here (99,999/100). IMO

And the above obviously on a technical Forum generates replies of a certain type, which are fully justified since you do not make a premise before talking about those things you speak and that, however, I could also be partially agreed.

In my opinion here we're simply talking about a view of the world, your very respectable and very personal view of the world, not of the reality of things that indeed are interpreted and therefore we talk about that interpretation of things, not about the things in itself.

Also because nobody can know if and how many positive implications can have a certain marketing choice that appears to you (and others) to be "bad": just as an example, maybe thousands of families live there that yearn for a better standard of living, go figure.

To be honest I do not believe that a marketing manager has the opportunity to choose between two choices and choose the "bad" one, I think that some choices are almost obliged within the current world economy and Marketing only does its job.

Are they all bad choices out there?
Frankly I don't know, maybe actually it is a humanity condition: just see how people are shaped to change their car and mobile phone, just as if a car cost as much as a mobile phone...

As a well-known european philosopher (right now I do not remember his name) said: "At the basis of every tragedy there is not the conflict between the reason and the wrong, but the conflict between one reason and another one".

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if you really realize the following, but when you say those things about marketing and vintage and all-analog you are just using your heart, not your brain

To be honest I do not believe that a marketing manager has the opportunity to choose between two choices and choose the "bad" one, I think that some choices are almost obliged within the current world economy and Marketing only does its job.

Are they all bad choices out there?
Frankly I don't know, maybe actually it is a humanity condition: just see how people are shaped to change their car and mobile phone, just as if a car cost as much as a mobile phone...
The marketing manager has to abide by and do what the manufacturer tells them.
And in the case of today's corporations, commonlyknown as Big Tech, etc., it's gotten rediculously annoying.
And not just to me, but to many others.

And no, I'm not judging from my heart, I'm using my brain, my experience, and what I've seen and heard from others.
You're in Italy, not here in the USA, where I live and see the day-to-day situation.
You don't see the product advertisements that I and others here see, the hype of products.... all continually shoved at the public.
I cannot enjoy a movie or TV show without some idiotic product that I don't need shoved at me every 10 minutes....
Endless and annoying TV commercials about some dumb miracle drugs promising a "better life".
Endless and annoying "App" commercials - luring you to become addicted to a cellphone, also promising to make your life better.

Marketing - targeted to keep the masses, like herds of sheep, in control, at the people's expense.
Using the Mute button during commercials on the TV is my way of staying sane.

Reactions: 1 users
I consider myself very, very fortunate to live in a country with a commercial-free broadcaster.

The current government considers it to be its "mortal enemy". Presumably because it educates and informs, as well as entertains. And the last thing a corrupt or incompetent government needs is an educated and informed electorate.

I cannot enjoy a movie or TV show without some idiotic product that I don't need shoved at me every 10 minutes....

It's been like this for a very long time. I remember my father always complaining about the same thing in the 70's.
It was the age before the remote control, so we wired our own switch to the TV on a long cable, so we could mute commercials from the couch .
He loved it, and us kids would take turns being the commercial killer.

True, and let's just hope it stays that way. There are several AI companies who will keep trying to fool us. How long will it be before Mr. Roboto is singing to us......OH, wait a minute, how about a tone deaf human and a big bunch of auto tune (digital by the way). We are there already. I have learned that my attempts at singing can't be fixed with any autotune algorithm that I can afford.

The US Supreme Court just ruled that AI produced art cannot be granted a copyright. I imagine that it's just a small step before that's applied to music. At least they got this one right.

Digital, or Analog, both technologies impart imperfections. Both have chased them down to nearly infinitesimal levels when properly implemented. Everyone is entitled to their own personal preferences, but much of what we hear today goes through a bit of both except for direct human to human interaction.

For those that continuously chase the state of the art there are now some 32 bit floating point audio interfaces that sample at up to 192 KHz. Some claim so much dynamic range that there isn't even a level control. Does any of the popular DAW recording software even support this yet?

Zoom quotes "The technology built into the UAC series allows the user to capture the highest audio quality possible, with an ultra-wide dynamic range and an incredibly low noise floor. 32-bit Float recording, along with sample rates up to 192 kHz, processes your audio at an increased bit-depth and at full bandwidth. All of this is done without the need to set gain." And "32-bit Float recording gives musicians peace-of-mind, ensuring that their audio will never clip. No matter how loud or soft the signal, the audio capture is crisp and clean.
I sound like a frog with a sore throat when I attempt to sing, so I just gave up on that.

The marketing manager has to abide by and do what the manufacturer tells them.
Not agreed.

The manufacturer wants only to buy/earn more, and he is also good for wanting it otherwise his business cannot be on the market.
The marketing manager has the task of finding new market share, that's new kind of buyers, to increase the company turnover.
With no sales increase the company goes bankrupt, sooner or later.

If today's marketing is more aggressive than that of 30, 20, 10, 5 years ago?
Of course it is, how could it not be?

What you describe is nothing more than the discomfort of those who are realizing that humanity is going through a dark era, and I think that more and more people are realizing that in one way or another.

But frankly I understood that you were referring to marketing related to Audio, not to marketing in TV.

Exactly what I expected. You do not have a clue, but boast with wisdom
Not a clue?
I've been in the audio/video service business for 40+ years, and have seen just about every type of equipment come across my service bench.
More than you'll ever see.
From vintage radios dating to 1926, to the latest flat screen tv's.
And yes, plenty of modern audio too.
So with all due respect, your statement to me is meaningless.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Marketing - targeted to keep the masses, like herds of sheep, in control, at the people's expense.

Agree with all you said, but it's not exactly new... from Roman pottery to PT Barnum, Humanity has a long history of selling crap to the masses. It's just a lot easier now for fewer to reach - and annoy - more.

@Porsche:
Your choice of amplifier brands is certainly not those with consumer-friendly prices.
$15K+ for an amp?
And being class D as those Burmester's are, I find them to have processing to make them 'sound' nice.
Nah, your objections to older/vintage don't hold much water.
Stuck in the clouds of so-called esoteric audio with high prices is a small percent of people.

Next!

@wiseoldtech
i didn't read that this was based on consumer friendly prices, the old marantz and McIntosh tube gear isn't cheap, neither is the altec.
burmester amplifiers are not class d so try again, they do have a small integrated that is class d, its there entry level, the other 2 int amps are a/b.
its the other way around, if your opinion is the same as @jjasniew an claim the vintage stuff is equal to the "best" of todays gear, well, sorry but you are wrong and i doubt i you have owned or probably heard the best that s offered today. next!!

@Porsche
I've been a professional, certified, and well-liked audio/video service tech with 5 star online ratings for decades, 40 years plus.
And I've seen, heard, and had more equipment on my bench than you'll ever see... or hear.
So your 'doubts' are meaningless to me.
I gotta love these guys who toss out speculations like you.... assumptions.

@wiseoldtech
an so have i for about 30 years. i doubt very seriously you have owned more highend gear than i have, but maybe you have, but i doubt it. you are talking out your a55 just like claiming burmester is class d, etc, only assumptions is coming from you, like i asked earlier,tell me a amplifier from the 50's or 60's or even 70's that can compare to todays best, ill be waiting but not holding my breath.
saying over an over that you have been a tech for 40 years plus doesn't make you right about everything, you claim a lot but so does most folks in todays society. also, your 40 years plus is meaningless to me as well sport

I've had enough of your west-coast california-style 'elitist' attitude.
You insist on being some sort of a winner at this game.... touting that "high end" crap to me, who's not interested in that overpriced crap.
So have fun preaching to someone else, because I'm sending your 'a55' as you call it, to my Ignore List.
I've no time for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.