Go Slinky Go!

Oh Chitty You Chitty
Pretty Chitty Bang Bang
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
We love you.
And Chitty, in Chitty
Pretty Chitty Bang Bang
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang what we'll do.
Near Chitty, far Chitty, in our motor car Oh what a happy time we'll spend.
Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Our fine four fendered friend.
Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Our fine four fendered friend.....(hold)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Yeah!

Last edited:
Jack usually makes only the prototypes and the first run, leaving it to others to build it in volume, usually relatives that live elsewhere.

Some of Jack's production workers, all brotheruncles, fathernephews or motheraunts, taking a well deserved break:

Attachments

• bybeeproduction.jpg
    bybeeproduction.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 174
john curl said:
Jack Bybee called me this morning. I mentioned to him that Scott had found the battery in his QSE device and he found that the battery was not connected to anything that would draw current. Jack said that the presence of the battery and its inherent 'field' or leakage improved the rest of the stuff inside the wooden box. Jack estimated that the battery, unconnected, should last 10-15 years, long enough for a tweak to be useful. Of course he found the inclusion of the battery to improve the device by EAR, just like Max Headroom and I like to try things. That is how some of us progress in audio development.
Wrong answer. Jack should have said "Sorry, that one is obviously faulty. Send it back for a free replacement."

It saddens me that JC still defends this transparent nonsense, even if it is coming from an old friend. Or is he just having a laugh, and wondering for how long we will think he is serious?

Jack usually makes only the prototypes and the first run, leaving it to others to build it in volume, usually relatives that live elsewhere.
Handmade snake oil, and by those related to the inventor, is so modern and chic.

Still no files? Writing his last few posts would have taken Max longer than uploading the files. We have been hearing the patter for years, when do we get to see the trick?
Patience Grasshopper.....I am going to try an experiment to 'screw up' the sound of one of three files in order to make the differences more clear....I will run this experiment in the next couple of days.
I am concerned that the negativity here has frightened Max away, or at least reduced his incentive to actually produce the promised files, so perhaps we should all be more supportive.
At the beginning I did state....I will endeavor to communicate some observations in order that we all have the same (anecdotal) data, and from this intelligently discuss and glean what forces are at play.
Yes, I get bored with the 'bovine pure' from the amateur comedians making stupid noise and merely encouraging other clueless participants.
I am calling on the good minds here to intelligently help flesh out proper reasons for what I observe and what many others observe also.
Meanwhile I have read so many of Max's descriptions that I am a bit confused. What was done to produce the identical-but-different file? Was it passed through a magic cable or something? Just curious in case the evidence is ever actually shared.
For clarity, the case talked about is two transfers to flash memory device (mobile phone) of the same original file...one transfer using standard USB cable and second transfer using custom USB cable with filter mixture incorporated into the each of the USB connectors......upon playback using the mobile phone 3.5mm analog output connected to various playback systems, the reproduced sound of each of these data files is subtly different.
Permanently? Do you mean that playing your treated file could change or damage my system?
Your system will be temporarily changed, any changes will mostly revert.
Or do you mean that the system has some "badness" and the file has "anti-badness" so while the file plays badness in the playback system is temporarily suppressed?
In a sense, yes.
All systems suffer excess noise (to varying degree), and noise embedded in the power source and noise embedded in the signal triggers avalanches of system excess noise which causes a bunch of effects....nothing new here.
Conventional RLC filtering of power supplies and analog signal reduces system excess noise production by fact of less 'out of band of interest' noise, yielding subjectively cleaner and clearer reproduction....nothing new here also.

Ferrite filters do reduce power and signal embedded out of band noise and consequently system excess noise is reduced, BUT they also inject a distinct and subjectively relatively high level new noise/signature into the system.

My filters subjectively reduce and change the system excess noise behaviour, but leave NO identifiable signature except a 'calmness and naturalness' that is absent without such filters.
This calmness and naturalness is result of change of the level, attack and decay characteristic of the excess noise, with the resultant that excess noise caused artifacts subjectively essentially disappear.

So in answer to your question, yes, most files are full of different kinds of 'badness'* and these 'badnesses' excite any 'badness' inherent in the stages of the playback system, with the result of disproportionately more 'badness' in the final acoustic resultant.
When the 'badness' of the signal and/or power source (both are energy sources) is reduced/removed, the resultant is disproportionately less 'badness' in the system produced final inroom sound.
I'm getting pretty excited about this!
My observations and questions are about energy transfer and energy transduction.

It seems that materials, conductors, connections and transducers produce individually characteristic excess noise, and that the nature of this noise is interactive according to the materials and the order of the materials in the energy source to energy destination pathway.

It seems also that this signature 'embeds' into stored energy and also that this signature is 'retrievable'.
If this is the case, then this could be a partial explanation for the flash memory playback differences.
I have previously given other 'rational' reasons for flash memory playback differences.

By addition of my 'filter' anywhere into the system, a 'new' (absence of signature actually) signature permeates throughout the system.
Notably, on very large systems (stadium and arena systems) the effect is not fully instantaneous and the full effect is not evident until a higher peak level transient is passed through the system.
Upon removal of the filter, the system reverts to chaos quickly but not instantaneously.
For full efficacy the filter needs to fully enclose conductors/cables, but close proximity/contact is effective.
Application of the mixture at the final transduction (speaker driver) has the greatest effect.
Application of such filters is cumulative/multiplicative ....ie application at input and output of each staging point causes downstream (and upstream) effect and consequent disproportionate change in final acoustic resultant.

There are many further observations of audio systems, and observations of other systems including electromechanical and mechanical systems that I can relate.
External power source (for the Maxwell demon) due to resonance coupling (spooky action) looks to be in the equations.

Dan.

Notably, on very large systems (stadium and arena systems) the effect is not fully instantaneous and the full effect is not evident until a higher peak level transient is passed through the system.
Upon removal of the filter, the system reverts to chaos quickly but not instantaneously.
For full efficacy the filter needs to fully enclose conductors/cables, but close proximity/contact is effective.
Application of the mixture at the final transduction (speaker driver) has the greatest effect.

External power source (for the Maxwell demon) due to resonance coupling (spooky action) looks to be in the equations.

Mr. Simon will want buckets. EM coupling is not spooky action BTW and the demon is powered by Tree Frog Beer.

Mr. Simon will want buckets.
Likely.
EM coupling is not spooky action BTW and the demon is powered by Tree Frog Beer.
Too strong longitudinal coupling for standard EM coupling....must be the devil's brew at work.
Scott, your postings of 'industrial music' and references to fine points of obscure comics point to misspent youth, kudos on your career achievements. ;)

Dan.

It is difficult for a physicist to put into words what he thinks when reading Max's post 12751 above, so I won't try. However, it is becoming easier to see why JC and Max are encouraging each other; they have similar views about how the universe works - views which might have been more at home in medieval days. "Put a little more toad vomit in the corner of the cabinet, and that will improve the soundstage for sopranos".

Jack Bybee called me this morning. I mentioned to him that Scott had found the battery in his QSE device and he found that the battery was not connected to anything that would draw current. Jack said that the presence of the battery and its inherent 'field' or leakage improved the rest of the stuff inside the wooden box. Jack estimated that the battery, unconnected, should last 10-15 years, long enough for a tweak to be useful.
There are other fields available....Jacks battery local electric field is one solution, but alas with caveats.
Of course he found the inclusion of the battery to improve the device by EAR, just like Max Headroom and I like to try things. That is how some of us progress in audio development.
Yup, that's where the rubber hits the road....it becomes seriously good fun when you can transform the sound of any system, and 'on the fly'.

Jack was complaining that not enough wooden 'boxes' had been ordered and he was trying to get his people to order more at a time, because they were always back-ordered after people (usually dealers) try the devices and order 50-100 at a time, depleting his existing stock. Jack usually makes only the prototypes and the first run, leaving it to others to build it in volume, usually relatives that live elsewhere.
Well, this is the update on Bybee. I hope it helps! '-)
Good on Jack for spreading the love and financially helping his kin....I would do exactly the same.

Dan.

Last edited:
Breaking from the mold at least a bit isn't necessarily a waste of time. Or how else would you justify being into the fields of research you are into?
I'm not about breaking any molds, more about finessing the existing molds.
The driver is curious observations from very long experience with all manner of audio equipment and other unrelated equipments....and other 'unrelated' fields of study.
Apart from that, where are the files?
Like I said above, in the next few days I will do a particular experiment and then post what I find.

Dan.

For clarity, the case talked about is two transfers to flash memory device (mobile phone) of the same original file...one transfer using standard USB cable and second transfer using custom USB cable with filter mixture incorporated

OK, so magic USB cable, got it.

Your system will be temporarily changed, any changes will mostly revert.

Mostly? I don't want any of your cooties on my system, thank you very much. Luckily I don't believe your claim, so am not too worried about lasting effects.

My filters subjectively reduce and change the system excess noise behaviour, but leave NO identifiable signature except a 'calmness and naturalness' that is absent without such filters.
This calmness and naturalness is result of change of the level, attack and decay characteristic of the excess noise, with the resultant that excess noise caused artifacts subjectively essentially disappear.

Careful, you have provided no evidence to support any part of those statements, you haven't measured anything, and you have no factual basis for those claims, so you really ought to preface that with something like "It is my belief that...".

There are many further observations of audio systems, and observations of other systems including electromechanical and mechanical systems that I can relate.

That's OK, let's just get a look at those files.

point to misspent youth, kudos on your career achievements. ;)

Max, you're too young to realize what a shock it was to those around you when in 1967 the Beatles go in the bin and Cream and Hendrix took their place. I remember an AM DJ in the late 60's putting on the first Velvet Underground LP and asking the listeners if they actually wanted to hear this ****. I might misremember but IIRC he took it off in mid-song.

Tolerance for ambiguity is key in achieving something truly new. BTW in 1969 (MIT no less) I had a humanities instructor that assigned Zap Comix as reading material.

Last edited:
KFC (yes, Kentucky Fried Chicken) has just released an “internet blocking faraday cage” for sale, presumably so you can eat KFC in peace.

They also claim it has not been tested to ensure signal blocking and say they need “a guy with a gizmo” to check it out first.

I applaud the honesty and absurdity in the marketing materials.

KFC Limited E-Store

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.