Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one hell of a snake-oil pitch!!!
"Asterope products feature unsurpassed performance, with an aesthetic and rugged design. All products are built with a unique architectural structure, are made with extremely pure conductive materials, and undergo a series of proprietary processes to reduce the overall noise bed created by "arcing", and maximize the fluidity of electron flow. Asterope cables also include non-metallic connector barrels to help minimize "mass", which dramatically reduces "reflection", caused by a phenomenon called "eddy currents", that involves electromagnetic "looping," which ultimately impedes the clarity and fundamental harmonic structures of higher and less audible frequencies. This holistic approach to reducing the noise bed from end to end, and from the inside out, has resulted in a cable solution that delivers sonic characteristics that are redefining standards for more articulate, well balanced and "phase coherent" sound."

Several ranges, where the Asterope play...

I imagine the marketeer doing little quote marks with his hands as he presents this lecture....

Attachments

• img1502237465541-418x276.jpg
    img1502237465541-418x276.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 214
I use a more 'forgiving' system composed of a Parasound 1000 power amp, (like the one somebody is attempting to improve here on DIY), and a pair of Sequerra MET 7 speakers that are VERY FORGIVING.

I had a pair of Sequerra Met 7's I picked up at a yard sale for $10. Matte black version they looked very utilitarian and decidedly "un hifi" especially with that metal mesh grille in front.

But I took them home as a curiosity and became smitten. They were very "friendly" speakers, as you describe. Same function that you describe. However, they were replaced eventually with something more appealing to look at.... I wish I just had the Sequerras refinished in retrospect.

Were the old Met 7's that off in their response?

They made for a really enjoyable listen, with tv etc.

I guess I enjoy "wrong" sound, which is freeing to come to terms with. Now I can just express my love for analog or vinyl or tubes as my love for wrong reproduction, distortion and effects boxes, using my wrong ears. Leaves no troll friendly places upon which to latch.

Be true to your flavour

Were the old Met 7's that off in their response?

They made for a really enjoyable listen, with tv etc.

I guess I enjoy "wrong" sound, which is freeing to come to terms with. Now I can just express my love for analog or vinyl or tubes as my love for wrong reproduction, distortion and effects boxes, using my wrong ears. Leaves no troll friendly places upon which to latch.

Some people think "real" and "authentic" are the same thing. They're not.
Real chinese food, for me, is fare like:
Twice cooked sliced ham, in honey sauce
Deep fried prawns
Chicken chow mein
Sweet and sour boneless pork with pineapple
Vegetable egg rolls
Fortune cookies

Authentic chinese food examples:
Goat intestine filled with blood
Bao du
Luzhu huoshao
Cold pig's ears in sauce
Beggar's chicken.
Quick fried tripe

In cuisine, and audio, there's no subjective right or wrong choice in preference.

I haven't found real (subjectively euphonic)and authentic (measures very well) sound to mix very well together, but they both have merit.

WOW!

I was looking up some old PB products after your post ( something to do with green soaking up red laser light ) when i stumbled oh this .... a Belt treatment i'd not seen .... lost for words ....
beltpen

I intended to write about the "belt dressing" I used on the dynamos belts, in the ships generators, when they started to wear out.
This article has nothing to do with a belt drive CD player's drive train.
Very Holographic Universe.
Yet...😐

Real chinese food, for me, is fare like:
Twice cooked sliced ham, in honey sauce
Deep fried prawns
Chicken chow mein
Sweet and sour boneless pork with pineapple
Vegetable egg rolls
Fortune cookies

Authentic chinese food examples:
Goat intestine filled with blood
Bao du
Luzhu huoshao
Cold pig's ears in sauce
Beggar's chicken.
Quick fried tripe

In cuisine, and audio, there's no subjective right or wrong choice in preference.

I haven't found real (subjectively euphonic)and authentic (measures very well) sound to mix very well together, but they both have merit.

How dare you shatter my perception of authentic Chinese cuisine :D

Honey, I Shrunk the Home Theatre

I am listening to my TV with 2 Met7's in the front, and 2 Met7's in the back both somewhat different from each other, and both different from the original Met7's which are smaller and with an offset cabinet.

My living room isn't all that large, about 13×25×8'.
After several years, I just gave up on having a great sounding 7.1 surround sysyem, which could keep me happy with music, too.

Using the best 2 speakers I could come up with, without being out of my idea of reasonably priced, I find I'm better off with out the other 5 speakers, and a subwoofer.

Even using identical satellites all around, their timbre never seemed matched, due to the way they reacted to different room placements.

Sinking the overall speaker budget into 2 quite good speakers, combined with on screen cues, I never really miss the extra channels.

Maybe the best decoders are in our heads?

I've been too lazy to take down the wall mounted KEFs, and the homemade 3 channel Tannoy sound bar is still the shelf my T.V. sits on; visitors believe they hear overhead flybys in sci fi or fantasy films.

So now I think the onscreen images are a powerful suggestor to having us process surround information.

Anyone else enjoy their movies as much, or more, with 2 really full range speakers?

From last visit, pig stomach with peppers (spectacular) I could have eaten the whole thing. Abalone with pork belly, takes two days to cook also fabulous (I could not eat the whole thing if I wanted to). Plenty of fake food available for the tourists who come to buy $1 DVD's and fake everything.

Everything electronic I bought broke in less than a month, like the membrane remotes (the only access to most features) delaminating.

Attachments

• food14.jpg
    food14.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 211
  • food7.jpg
    food7.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.