Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this qualify as "Snake" oil?

"Every Naim Audio interconnect is shaken 180 times by a custom-designed pneumatic production device affectionately named ‘The SNAIC Shaker’ by our technicians. Why do we do this? Because it improves sound quality."

https://www.naimaudio.com/infinite-curiosity

You would think buying 1% resistors would be cheaper and easier.

Matching the characteristics of sound critical components for each channel (left and right speaker) of an amplifier can greatly improve sound quality. Batches of resistors typically come matched to within a 5% margin of error. Through listening tests we found that if the resistance of the left and right channels are matched to closer than 0.5% music becomes dramatically more communicative and engaging. Following this discovery a bespoke production procedure was conceived to help us match resistors by hand.

With a DSP and related circuitry a 6 layer board is the bare minimum, I also would not describe a 6 layer board as "highly-complex" unless they have cut the layers down so much that they have had to compromise the routing, not what I'd want in such a vehicle. The camera and related processing boards have more layers (via in pad and HDI layouts as well, now they are complex, because they have to fit in a finite space).

This is HDI layout for those not familiar with it, I love it, it allows far better electrical isolation between circuitry, smaller loop areas, more room for routes etc. etc.
https://www.we-online.com/web/en/in...hdi/02072013_Webinar_HDI_DesignGuide_1_EN.pdf

Does this qualify as "Snake" oil?

"Every Naim Audio interconnect is shaken 180 times by a custom-designed pneumatic production device affectionately named ‘The SNAIC Shaker’ by our technicians. Why do we do this? Because it improves sound quality."

https://www.naimaudio.com/infinite-curiosity

Totally legit. The mechanism of a cow-in-a-tube needs a proper breaking in to develop the full, lungy resonance of the artificial moo. I find it takes at least 1200 shakes to really get in the sweetspot.

Oh...nevermind. That's not what Naim Audio is doing.

You would think buying 1% resistors would be cheaper and easier.
The bespoke hand match must be cheaper than buying 1% computer matched. In my limited testing most of the 1% fell close to .1 % of stated value with a few off more than that .5%. It is easy when matching pairs given a good meter ( 5and a half digit calibrated for me ) more like .05% match is easy with some volume of parts to choose from . The magic bespoke parts are what Bentley owner want. :sax:

Cards underneath your power conditioner.. sigh..

Spatium Audio Clavis Power Filter Module Test Continue… – Jimmy's Junkyard

Each time i read the reviews on these snake oils, i can't help to notice they always use words like "significant/huge improvement". You would think with all those snake oils implemented in their system, they would have landed on the moon by now with all those "significant improvement".

The bespoke hand match must be cheaper than buying 1% computer matched. In my limited testing most of the 1% fell close to .1 % of stated value with a few off more than that .5%. It is easy when matching pairs given a good meter ( 5and a half digit calibrated for me ) more like .05% match is easy with some volume of parts to choose from . The magic bespoke parts are what Bentley owner want. :sax:

Not for volume runs or SMD parts on a reel.

Cards underneath your power conditioner.. sigh..

Spatium Audio Clavis Power Filter Module Test Continue… – Jimmy's Junkyard

Each time i read the reviews on these snake oils, i can't help to notice they always use words like "significant/huge improvement". You would think with all those snake oils implemented in their system, they would have landed on the moon by now with all those "significant improvement".

I remember that blog, he's the guy who can hear the differences due to blu tack.

Status
Not open for further replies.