Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read it he probably meant that 3rd harmonic distortion is highly audible (compared with second). His Objective measure (oft stated) is that anything below -80dB is inaudible, so saying -75dB is potentially audible is correct. Just the juxtaposition might suggest to someone reading it back he meant that -75dB was highly audible.
Already have, NwAvGuy's gross misapprehension looks clear and patent:

"...highly audible 3rd harmonic is rather high at –75 dB and cause for some concern."

Floyd Tool proved that harmonic distortion under -40dB ,ie 1%, was inaudible. Being one of the most publicated, his words are considered gospel and could be difficult to counter. If there's any data to prove otherwise, then by all means let's investigate it.

"Anything above -80 dB is considered potentially audible by many experts."

A logical fallacy. Unsurprisingly, his claims and standards appear cherry picked to suit his products without references.

Joined 2014
Paid Member

"...highly audible 3rd harmonic is rather high at –75 dB and cause for some concern."

Floyd Tool proved that harmonic distortion under -40dB ,ie 1%, was inaudible. Being one of the most publicated, his words are considered gospel and could be difficult to counter. If there's any data to prove otherwise, then by all means let's investigate it.

A logical fallacy. Unsurprisingly, his claims and standards appear cherry picked to suit his products without references.

The troll is strong in this one Obi-wan :p

In reverse order he doesn't have a 'product'. He sells nothing. He did a design which, for $99 for the board met what he set as 'transparent' based on all available literature. He then released the design for others to make and vanished. No snake oil (see the title of this thread), just a well engineered implementation of well designed silicon.

Secondly your attack on him is cherry picked from the review.

Thirdly, if YOU have decide that Toole has set the bar at -40dB then you have an easy life to find your perfect system. Not sure even why you bother coming here. Note I doubt Toole would claim to have 'proved' that.

Fourthly its 'Toole' not 'Tool'. If you are going to quote someone at least spell their name correctly and not make it look like an insulting play on words.

NWAVguy for his abrasive character did state up front what HIS chosen objective std for neutrality was. No snake oil, no flooby dust. You can disagree with him if you want but your level of attack is unjustified.

But like I said, the troll is strong in you...

NWAVguy for his abrasive character did state up front what HIS chosen objective std for neutrality was.

I can see why he is abrasive to some, at times even I don't think he is circumspect enough in his criticisms. There are LOTS of cottage businesses that prey on less knowledgeable or abled DIY'ers in many hobbies. At times he seems to be a self appointed policeman.

You can disagree with him if you want but your level of attack is unjustified.

But like I said, the troll is strong in you...
Straw man arguments.

Questioning NwAvGuy's claims were in keeping with this thread and the content spanning the last few hundred posts- look if you are unsure. The claimed "attack" and trolling appear to be inventions of your own making.

The only one who has trolled or made an insult is yourself.

Your insistence to defend him may suggest some emotional bias. Stop taking it personal.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Please explain the strawman. 'Gross misapprehension' is an insult, esp as there is some agreement that you misread what he wrote. There is no snake oil in his writings. You may not agree with some of what he writes, but no need to effectively call him an idiot.

Am I emotionally biased? No, but he was for a short period a beacon of some kind of sense in a mad world and a lot of people seem to be getting enjoyment from the 2 designs he did under the 'objective' heading. Makes him a good guy in my book.

YMMV

Sorry to jump in mid sentence.
For what it's worth I just did a simple dynamic-range blind test using Audible Dynamic Range Blind Listening Test
using nothing more than my laptop speaker, I managed to score 10/10 in a 60dB test.
So I wonder if distortions under -40dB are not audible.

Status
Not open for further replies.