Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
not snake oil per se, but putting it here as pushing the boundaries of value The New York Audio Show: Saturday Part Two | Stereophile.com

$7 per album for a metal rack. Scrolling down to the comments is very interesting as the manufacturer is defending his overpriced bent metal!

WHAT the hell is going on?

Its been a while since I looked at this thread..has the world gone nuts?

I can't believe this is still going on! Theories are great and experimentation but the more I look these days the more I despair.

Perhaps the world is better with Ipods..The box of gravel finally put the lid on it for me..minerals?
Perhaps I'm just getting old..kid's dying and people starving..there must be something seriously wrong! (Buy a dialysis machine and give it to a hospital)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Ah but he is an Industrial Artist, like the industrial designers that seem to have replaced mechanical engineers, all fluff and no content, plenty of pretty 3D images in fancy PDFs with fonts that look like handwritten notes NO mechanical drawings so we can do the bloody job... oh and they charge more (and jobs take longer, because of the lack of detail)...........
Oh and that record rack is horrible... Yuk!

like the industrial designers that seem to have replaced mechanical engineers, all fluff and no content, plenty of pretty 3D images in fancy PDFs with fonts that look like handwritten notes NO mechanical drawings

The FEM classes I did, were also attended by 1 single ID student.
As so happens, Amnon had been a member of the dirty & fresh 35 the year before, due to a numerus fixus/clausus for Industrial Design admission.

The majority of Industrial Design students back then were too busy with painting their hair purple, and throwing another mega ID dance party.

Whats wrong with the price of this cabinet?
Of course, its not really a beauty in my eyes and the cost is a fortune and is overpriced, but no snake oil and wrong promisings, but if someone like it, why not?

Everybody is free to get a custom made rack or whatever he likes.

People buy watches for 25grands, while it is free to control the time on your mobile phone.

I use a USM Haller, cost me 4 grands to put 3k LPs in, i have it since 20 years, can get more modules with the same look and quality and it will hold longer than me.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Whats wrong with the price of this cabinet?
Of course, its not really a beauty in my eyes and the cost is a fortune and is overpriced, but no snake oil and wrong promisings, but if someone like it, why not?

Everybody is free to get a custom made rack or whatever he likes.

To me its the fact that its something a metal shop would knock up for $400 sold as 'industrial design', and you could get something custom made for a lot less!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
NwAvGuy: AMB Mini3 DIY Headphone Amp

"...highly audible 3rd harmonic is rather high at –75 dB and cause for some concern. Anything above -80 dB is considered potentially audible by many experts."

Highly audible at -75dB? Nope.
For someone that masquerades in scientific guise, NwAvGuy's scribblings and repeal look quite uninformed.

If you read it he probably meant that 3rd harmonic distortion is highly audible (compared with second). His Objective measure (oft stated) is that anything below -80dB is inaudible, so saying -75dB is potentially audible is correct. Just the juxtaposition might suggest to someone reading it back he meant that -75dB was highly audible.

If you read it he probably meant that 3rd harmonic distortion is highly audible (compared with second). His Objective measure (oft stated) is that anything below -80dB is inaudible, so saying -75dB is potentially audible is correct. Just the juxtaposition might suggest to someone reading it back he meant that -75dB was highly audible.

I believe you're quite right.

But then there's the question of potentially audible under what conditions?

Most of these thresholds are established using pure tones, not music, which is really the only meaningful context.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.