Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

pretty, and thanks for the honest assessment of the NAD3020 - a legendary giant-killer 40 yrs ago perhaps, but time has moved on, and I'd wager any number of very affordable digital amps wouldn't be embarrassed in a comparison

and a well executed EL84 or 34 is of course, another level altogether

I have been to a NAD3020 shoot-out. Other amps was Dali Gravity and my own DIY CAD audio class D amplifier (CAD D400A with linear supply).

Preamp was Dali Detail and CD was Denon 3560. Speakers was Dali Grand Diva. NAD was only used as power amplifier.

Anyone who builds their own stuff, should have a NAD 3020 as a reference. This amp did not fail to any of the above amps. It just sounds right. Not the most refined amp, but overall still a killer amp.

Fostex FE163En-S 6-inch drivers in in a pair of rear-loaded horn cabinets designed by Scott Lindgren of Woden Design.
Constructed of 3/4 inch baltic birch plywood finished in fine walnut veneer. 43.5"H x 9.5"W x 20"D...over 100 lbs each.
Need more time for the drivers to break in, but they are already sounding sweet indeed.

thebeasts_zpse7113df4.jpg

Hi Storm!

I'm sorry I haven't said something before now but those Woden Valiants you put together are beautiful. What are those 3" or 4" drivers you're using? Also if you don't mind my asking what are their (H, W, D) overall dimensions?

I'm listening to: Tales of Mystery & Imagination by Alan Parsons.

Thetubeguy1954

The drivers are 4" Fe126En's with the EnABL process done to them. I don't want to step on any toes since I agreed with Scott Lindgren not to disclose of the specifics of these. If you could defer to him about the overall dimensions, I'm sure he'd tell you.

Generally speaking, they're very large, and very heavy. The wood is west African sapele with a unique interlocking grain. It's very dense and needs to be used up quickly before it starts to warp. For these two Valiants, the sapele alone was roughly $700-800.

Last edited:
creepy!!

my latest full range planar cover 60 x 40 mm.And a few previous ones, the last one is really scary!!

Attachments

• SAM_0705.JPG
    SAM_0705.JPG
    459.1 KB · Views: 1,497
  • SAM_0706.JPG
    SAM_0706.JPG
    439.7 KB · Views: 1,435
  • SAM_0701.JPG
    SAM_0701.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 1,365
  • SAM_0691.JPG
    SAM_0691.JPG
    381.1 KB · Views: 1,328
  • SAM_0693.JPG
    SAM_0693.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 1,277
  • SAM_0684.JPG
    SAM_0684.JPG
    576.1 KB · Views: 444
The drivers are 4" Fe126En's with the EnABL process done to them. I don't want to step on any toes since I agreed with Scott Lindgren not to disclose of the specifics of these. If you could defer to him about the overall dimensions, I'm sure he'd tell you.

Generally speaking, they're very large, and very heavy. The wood is west African sapele with a unique interlocking grain. It's very dense and needs to be used up quickly before it starts to warp. For these two Valiants, the sapele alone was roughly $700-800.

Storm,

Thanks for your quick response. Your speakers are quite nice! It's ok, please don't worry about not disclosing any dimensions to me. Although I'm fairly sure that Scott L. was referring more to internal dimensions, angles of folds, mouth area etc. as opposed to simply (H, W, D). I cannot fault a man for keeping his word. Such integrity is a rapidly disappearing personal trait these days and I applaud you for having it! Like you Storm, I'm also using one of Scott's designs. I've been using Sachiko double-back-loaded horns for over five years now. I've gone through Fostex FE206E, FE206ES-R and the wonderful sounding FE208ES-R. But the even Fostex FE208ES-R were instantly replaced when I heard a pair of 8" Dayton PS220-8 drivers with their cones treated in the Sachikos!!! These PS220-8 drivers don't have the EnABL cone treatment. But they do have a different, quite incredible and quite expensive cone treatment applied.

This cone treatment now allows the drivers to be capable of playing music by Led Zeppelin, YES, Genesis, EL&P etc. at volumes that will literally force you leave the room. Yet you'd leave the room strictly because it was TOO LOUD to listen to at such a close proximity. :eek: I can tell you honestly it's strictly the volume and not any cone "break-up" or additional distortions being introduced at these incredibly loud volumes. I know this is true because, when I and any company that's over, move an additional 15 feet back from the speakers ---{I can do this easily because my kitchen and audio room are attached. There's only a small wall that separates them. It protrudes out 4 feet from the back wall and extends from floor to ceiling}--- at this location we can now listen to crystal clear music that's very loud without a hint of audible "cone break up" or distortion!

When I listen at from this spot the music can almost convince you the drummer and the rest of the band is in the audio room. ---{with only the kitchen separating them, my dining room is directly opposite the audio room}--- I enjoy the music I hear from this position so much I'll often listen while sitting at the dining room table from 9am to 6pm, or my wife gets home or whichever one of those two comes first! That's a typical listening session for me. I'm very lucky my home has such a very open floor plan. It allows me to listen where I love sitting listening for hours. Storm if you'd like to can see what my system & gear looks like by this photo of: Audio Room & Gear as taken from the kitchen.

Storm I'll be very interested in hearing what your adventures are when you have both speakers built and your audio system up and running. I don't know if these are your first, large horn, full-range speaker setup or not. But if these are your first, large, full-range horn speakers I can tell you this; you are about to embark on one of the most incredible audio journeys you could ever imagine taking. It will definitely change you and your outlook on audio & music. In the end you'll be a different and better man for having traveled this path...

thetubeguy1954

Last edited:
Here's a quick test I did of them together. It was recorded with an iPhone. I know, faux pas. It's all I have for video capture besides a GoPro.

IMG_1701_zps24362410.mp4 Video by trekfreerider | Photobucket

Storm,

They look great and sound as good as one can expect for the medium used. I'm sure they sounded wonderful in person! Great choice of music. I also noticed the cat seemed to be enjoying the music too. I guess he's a cool cat, huh? Hey that isn't the Rippington's Jazz Cat is it?

I hope you get many years of enjoyment from those wonderful speakers!

Thetubeguy1954