Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Tom - as of his last writing on the subject (over a year ago, IIRC and prior to his Grex-it from the DIY Audio fora) Mark indicated that there are only 3 pair of MAOP drivers outside of the sometimes extreme audiophool ;) market in Japan.

I'm not sure if the thread that discussed the material physics and production technology is among those resurrected or re-posted anywhere herein; don't ask for a recap - it was way over my head then, and I have far fewer functioning brain cells every day - but I can attest that IMO they are too good to futz with.

Chris thanks for that information. I wasn't interested in obtaining a MAOP driver, just wanted to know what they were and how others thought the treatment benefited the driver's sonics! But again I thank you for responding to my inquiry.

I'm listening to: Dust & Dreams by Camel

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Tom - just to expound a bit further on the sonic difference that I sense between the stock A7.3 and the MAOPs - in short, I'd describe the latter as far more neutral and "transparent" - more resolution at the lower level / inner detail of harmonics - I hate to use the expression, but more information in the 30-40dB down range.

So clean that they're scarily easy to overdrive - I've had to check myself a few times with that.

Tom - just to expound a bit further on the sonic difference that I sense between the stock A7.3 and the MAOPs - in short, I'd describe the latter as far more neutral and "transparent" - more resolution at the lower level / inner detail of harmonics - I hate to use the expression, but more information in the 30-40dB down range.

So clean that they're scarily easy to overdrive - I've had to check myself a few times with that.

Sounds exactly like the cone treatment I use except that I can play chamber music or a small acoustic guitar group and get all the delicacy, clarity and harmonic purity one uses the famous SET/single fullrange driver combo for and on the very next CD drop in YES, EL&P or any other Prog-Rock group and play the music at levels where the 120dB+ SPLs will chase you from the room due to the sheer volume! Yet 50ft away at the other end of the house, you can enjoy listening to the same music cleanly & clearly without the slightest hint of any distortion!

It's amazing what a cone treatment can do, right?

I'm listening to: A Trick of The Tale by Genesis

They've got no horns and they've got no tail
They don't even know of our existence.

> My favourite Genesis album. :)

Am I wrong to believe in a city of gold
That lies in the deep distance he cried
And wept...

It's mine as well Cal!

I'm listening to: Moments of Clarity by Cryptic Vision

Thanks . The Suzy Chang were made with mdf of 15 mm and the paint was made with a spray gun.
And there's below a pair of Voigtpipes with old FE127 ACR made of high density mdf of 17 mm. For now, that's what I heard better with small fostex. Full sound, good bass, great for percussion, congas are in the room ! They were also used in monitoring to mix records of pop / rock groups with good results and balanced sound when i listen elsewhere.
Their shape gives life to acoustic instruments with a "live" feeling, the reverberations rooms are very very well defined.
Design are based on "EVEREST" with small modifications based on errors which have been proved positive. Thanks to luck ! I really recommend these voigtpipes. But too bad, the fe127 no longer exists :mad:....
I will test with ff125 wk but I don't think it will be as well as fe127.
Perhaps a 126 ?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
One more here....

hi to all... and to Dave for his effort!

After one year of sickleave and 2 operations - I had to find a better way to display my old records. And some interesting things to do! My Alp12P in stacked beech in Fonken-alike got to revealing and sterile with lesser recorded music. So I made a new enclosure - and it gives a more fullbodied sound.:cool: Still very revealing and rich in SPL - and my ears don`t get tired as quicly! The front is made of glued pine and the sides is plywood(pine). 18mm. The bass is deeper and it is a more harmonius sound!

Best to all

Olav

Attachments

• 20150627_174851_resized.jpg
    20150627_174851_resized.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,365