Full Range Speaker for iPod boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe... a driver !!
I didn't like the phisycal condivision of the baffle ,giving a narrow stereo separation . But two boxes of that size ,for the drivers you mentioned ,would be ok :)
A 3 sections sculptured/flared baffle, or 3 units(1 for the electronics ) than can be detachable ,better ,no ??:rolleyes:

The Fostex FE166En and the Tangband W5-1611SA are in my close-pitch selection. Which driver would you pick?

Given it would be an ipod boom box and that the amplifier would probably be a chip amp (3875 is what I would recommend) the Jordan JX92 makes most sense. Another option is the Fountek FR135 (available from Madisound). If you are looking for a larger driver why not a Mark Audio 10 or 12?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The Fostex FE166En and the Tangband W5-1611SA are in my close-pitch selection.
Which driver would you pick?

I picked the Tangband W5-1611 for my small sealed speakers due to its flat response. I plan to add a little EQ to it to bring the bass up, but will measure its response before I do anything. If I recall correctly, my math shows an f3 of 98 Hz with a 6 liter sealed box without EQ.

~Tom

I still would like to emphasize on correct channel separation ,as the result of good mechanical damping of the enclosures . One would object that the greatest energy in motion is that coming from the bass ,which is in phase . So we should separate the basket of the driver from the rest of the box ; this can be done with cork ,or with special bits that have around neoprene/gumlike .
Edit: for a driver in the middle I intended a real woofer servicing for bass ,making it into a 2.1 . Then ,button-size drivers could be placed at 45° and tilted .
I was also thinking of making each speaker detachable and having a folding stand (like pic-nic tables) . Or making the box 'movable'..like the center part allows four wings to exit ,making it an H frame for the subwoofer (like early photographic machines ).
Meanwhile ,now when writing ...(nuclear station working alot !!!! )I invented a system that supplies the stands and is the fulcrum in separating the 3 elements : each speaker is held to the center body by a long barrel that catches the two rings above and the two in the bottom . These two sticks when removed , can be inserted in the bottom of an enclosure (assuming a wooden basis with two holes is put below !!! )

Last edited:
I finished my project a couple days ago. I used the Tangband W5-1611, Hifimediy T2 and the Meanwell SP 320.

Pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Videos:

Box playing

Seal works good

I hope you guys like it.

Cheers

Last edited:
They are very 'professionally' done indeed . can you tell me if you feel the need to enlarge the stereo image as I suggested ? Two boomboxes are better than one !
:confused: may be not ... By the way ,in one-cabinet-two speakers , each speaker 'sees' the asymmetric baffle ,but when they are stand-alone in one cabinet ,obviously they should not be positioned in the center .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.