Full Range EQ

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's some more useful information about parts to fit those boards, all at Digikey:

RCA connector, PC mount RED: CP-1419-ND and GREEN: CP1423-ND

DC power supply: Triad WSU240-0500-13 Digikey # 237-1459-ND

Power input jack: CP-037B-ND

100K Potentiometer: Bourns 3386P-1-104LF-ND

Use any Electrolytic caps you like - minimum voltage is 25V, I used Elna 10uF output caps

Film caps have 5mm (0.2:) lead spacing. I use Wima polypropylenes MKP2, FKP2

Film resistors - Vishay SFR25 type

:cheers:

• Thank You
Reactions: 7 users
Yea, i think that you are on to something here.

Wether i am using all digital DSP processing as in high end car audio builds, or all analog EQ in home audio, or all digital DSP EQ adjustments as in home cinema setup:

Less is always more. Always!

Less BS is simply always purely, scientifically, and clearly less BS in your system.

Get everything tuned. The room, the crossovers, the placements. The enclosures.

And then, only then: Lightly EQ. Always aim to subtract, try always to avoid boost.

Because boost will always strain the chain.
Took the words right out of my mouth, As Meatloaf would say🙂

Got it down to a precious few cuts 30Hz, 78Hz, 115Hz to fix room modes from the powerful tapped horns.

The rest is as god intended, EQ free, open and glorious :)

Would a 10K log pot be ok at input for volume control? I don't need a voltage gain since the power amp will be a little Moth Stereo and this board already has a buffer at putput.
Can I swich R3 to a 10K res in series with a 10K pot in oder to be able to vary from +3 to +6dB the bass bump?
ok, I retry to write in a less poor English :D
So, I'd like to use it with OB fullrange spks with a Moth as power amp.
It has very high sensitivity, so I don't need voltage gain.
Since this circuit has no voltage gain but a buffer at output, I thought it was possible to ADD before the board a simple 10K log dual pot.
I do know that R3 is part of the RC filter, since it allows -changing it- to vary the bass EQ. As I need somethig between +3db (22K) and +6dB (10K) I asked if it is possible to use a 10K res together to a 10K pot in series in order to allow an easy regulation "on the fly".
Thanks again

ok, I retry to write in a less poor English :D
So, I'd like to use it with OB fullrange spks with a Moth as power amp.
It has very high sensitivity, so I don't need voltage gain.
Since this circuit has no voltage gain but a buffer at output, I thought it was possible to ADD before the board a simple 10K log dual pot.
I do know that R3 is part of the RC filter, since it allows -changing it- to vary the bass EQ. As I need somethig between +3db (22K) and +6dB (10K) I asked if it is possible to use a 10K res together to a 10K pot in series in order to allow an easy regulation "on the fly".
Thanks again
Sorry Vinz, I didn’t realize there were two questions there. As usual you got it right the first time 🍷

I think for me this circuit could work pretty well in front of a dedicated amp driving the 15" woofer (+passive cross over) in my OB speakers.
Then I would disable the HF part (assume this is done by not installing any of the HF parts and then make R4 a "short"?.
A circuit that starts to amplify around 40 - 45 Hz and down to 20 Hz would work for me. I can read that this should be possible.
At least I have ordered some circuit bords + components :)

Nelson gave instructions, about how to simulate the circuit (or your own personal variations of it), using MicroCap, in the .pdf article. Try it out and see whether you get pleasing results.
Yes, I will print out the article and read it in more detail. It will be a future project.
I also need to find out if circuit is best to insert after line-output or after preamp (I need some voltage gain with current power amp).
It would be practical to built it into same chassis as the preamp so they share same PSU and less external connections.
If a gain stage could be added "this" could be the preamp. Then it would be like a pre with "preset" tone-control.
Many possibilities for DIY-tweaks. Maybe some would like to use 2SK170 insted of J113.......who knows.....

Here is my quick simulation.
There are fancy ways to make variables like Nelson describes, but that is beyond my stock of tricks.
The J112 is 25mdB less gain (slightly higher internal resistance...)
You can of course also use an EF86 there and then you need the R9>500Ω. ;) but this is the solid-state department of course

Attachments

• Nelson's FR equalizer.png
    Nelson's FR equalizer.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Nelson's FR equalizer.asc
    3.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user