Full range desktop audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Edit: to be clear, when talking about “Desktop” Audio, I’m presuming listening at the computer desktop. If not, then....
This subject has come up for discussion numerous times, and for those who give a crap, my personal experience would suggest this is exactly the type of application in which a small wideband single driver system can excel.
You’re generally talking about listening distances of well under a metre, so with the outrageous affordability of decent class D amps in the 15-20watt range, sensitivity, max power handling and even off axis FR can to my mind be delegated further down the list of driver parameters than smooth mids and high end extension, as well as optimal enclosure size for “respectable” bass response.
I happen to have a couple of favourite makes/models for such systems -Fostex FF85WK and Alpair A5 or 6 - mostly because I never got around to listening to a lot if the other models I’d expect to show up in this list starting ......

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
On a desktop use a small pair of satelittes (i like MA A5.2/3 and Fostex FF85wk, then add a seperate woofer under the desk.

This is our version of the 2 small tower WAWs you linked. The yops of thes emake a stellar desktop speaker (and there are simplier versions).

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

dave

i would also look more at the Alpair 7, and a small but low tuned woofer under the desk. The Alpair 7 MS (the actual version) gives you an F3 of 48Hz in a 15L vented, and a F10 of 55Hz and and F3 of 100hz in a 10L Sealed. Sealed could work with a sub, vented is good as a small bookshelf on it's own (but can also be used with a sub).

In my earlier post, I announced my presumption, but didn’t ask the question - as “desktop” audio can be a bit of a fuzzy term- exactly how is this system intended to be used? If you’re regularly sitting at a computer desk, how loud will they be playing, and how much bass will you really need?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was thinking the Alpair 7 and a woofer 6.5 or 7".
Like seas Buying a Seas CA18RLY woofer? | SoundImports - SoundImports
Or Scanspeak 18w /8434G00

The A7 is my favorite midTweeter (EnABLed of course). We have done WAW with 6.5 & 7” woofers, but 2 in each, no issues using only 1.

I have also designed or helped with a number of other WAWs with ScanSpeak from 6.5 to 12” and other midBasses as well. There are a huge number of suitable woofers.

Are you going to bi-amp (makes the number of suitable woofer much larger?

dave

mulder79, based on several desktop and very small room/near-field systems with which I’ve lived during the past 10 years or so, if you’re considering any of the Mark Audio drivers I’d be inclined to suggest the A7.3, A7MS, or Pluvia7HD for a single driver design. If you still think a 2 way is necessary - which as noted above, I don’t for the described application- the CHN50 looks to be a great candidate for a mid/tweeter, supported by any number of low priced 4 - 5” woofers.
The only other drivers I’ve had a lot of experience with for this type of application are Fostex, of which my suggestions would be FF85WK and FF105WK.
Then there always something like the C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair with Knock-Down Cabinets, although the cost of shipping to Greece might diminish the “budget” appeal - but then that may be something to which you’re already inured?;)

No doubt there are numerous other recommendations to follow.

In my humble opinion, the main disadvantage of using fullrange for desktop speakers is the box size.
To achieve decent sound from speakers / satellites (not to sound thin as a kids musical toy) the boxes will become relatively big for desktop placement.
For example in comparison with some small 2 way "desktop" speakers with 4" woofer the box must be bigger but the bass will always be smaller.
If you get some 3" full range drivers
(especially in small sealed enclosures) you have to cross it higher with the subwoofer, to achieve some adequate low frequency response without midbass missing.
High crossed subwoofer can bring some problems if is relatively away of satelites.
Maybe the better option is to use bigger drivers as possible - min. 4" or bigger in smallest possible boxes (I could be wrong).
And probably the best option (if wou want to keep the magic of the fullrange drivers) is to make small f.a.s.t./waw desktop speakers with some nice 4-5" woofer and nice 3" fullrange driver. I'm a big fan of FR drivers (currently I have few Mark Audio and Tang Band fullrange drivers), but for the desktop use I prefer 2-way speakers.
As I wrote above, I could be wrong. This is just my opinion based on my current experience and experiments with fullrange speakers.

Last edited:
In this room ,I go to relax some nights after a long day with work and my daughter. It's like my second, or 3rd system and I cannot play loud because they are sleeping right in the next room.
I want to listen at low volume and have some bass too.
I'm sitting at one meter from the speakers and they are close to back wall. And the room it is small full of books and my womans coat's.
I would prefer to do a project from a well known builder or to go with the fullrange to prevent mistakes.

The cost mast remain reasonable, let's say 400€.
I'm thinking the biamping too with sure class d from sound imports or Dayton amps and minidsp in the future, or a hypex plate amplifier.

mulder79, based on several desktop and very small room/near-field systems with which I’ve lived during the past 10 years or so, if you’re considering any of the Mark Audio drivers I’d be inclined to suggest the A7.3, A7MS, or Pluvia7HD for a single driver design. If you still think a 2 way is necessary - which as noted above, I don’t for the described application- the CHN50 looks to be a great candidate for a mid/tweeter, supported by any number of low priced 4 - 5” woofers.
The only other drivers I’ve had a lot of experience with for this type of application are Fostex, of which my suggestions would be FF85WK and FF105WK.
Then there always something like the C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair with Knock-Down Cabinets, although the cost of shipping to Greece might diminish the “budget” appeal - but then that may be something to which you’re already inured?;)

No doubt there are numerous other recommendations to follow.
So you have this Fostex that you mentioned with a 5" woofer?

I'm thinking the single drive option with that Mark audio ,as they come as pair speakers. Aren't they small to create some bass?
I'm looking shops only from Europe, like soundimports, audiophonics.

Thank you for the answers!
The headphones is good ,but I need to hear what's going on in the house too.
And no subwoofer for that room!

Then a little bigger Fr that goes low enough in a vented enclosure is what you need. I would look at the alpair 7ms in a 15l enclosure like said before. It’s the smallest setup that can di that that i know about. Other options may exist, but those i know are all bigger.

In my humble opinion, the main disadvantage of using fullrange for desktop speakers is the box size.
To achieve decent sound from speakers / satellites (not to sound thin as a kids musical toy) the boxes will become relatively big for desktop placement.
For example in comparison with some small 2 way "desktop" speakers with 4" woofer the box must be bigger but the bass will always be smaller.
If you get some 3" full range drivers
(especially in small sealed enclosures) you have to cross it higher with the subwoofer, to achieve some adequate low frequency response without midbass missing.
High crossed subwoofer can bring some problems if is relatively away of satelites.
Maybe the better option is to use bigger drivers as possible - min. 4" or bigger in smallest possible boxes (I could be wrong).
And probably the best option (if wou want to keep the magic of the fullrange drivers) is to make small f.a.s.t./waw desktop speakers with some nice 4-5" woofer and nice 3" fullrange driver. I'm a big fan of FR drivers (currently I have few Mark Audio and Tang Band fullrange drivers), but for the desktop use I prefer 2-way speakers.
As I wrote above, I could be wrong. This is just my opinion based on my current experience and experiments with fullrange speakers.

I agree with the post ,and thank's!
That's why I'm thinking one 5" or 6.5" fullrange .Mark , tang b. , Fostex.
And small, slim floorstand speakers .
About the f.a.s.t. I'm looking for a version of Stella light from visaton with mark audio.

At the end maybe the best thing is to do the Discovery 18w from troels ? ( scanspeak 18w )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.