Full range desktop audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Head phones don't have to block the sounds in your room if they are open backed. I use a pair of Sennhieser HD600: open back, over ear design. Very comfortable, excellent sound quality, and I can still be aware of ambient sounds.

Of course, I will also comment that the Fostex FF85wk in Micro-Fonken enclosures would be at the top of my list for desk top speakers.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So you have this Fostex that you mentioned with a 5" woofer?

Here before veneer, Tysen V2.

tysenV2-passive.jpg

dave

So you have this Fostex that you mentioned with a 5" woofer?
nope, just all by themselves
I'm thinking the single drive option with that Mark audio ,as they come as pair speakers. Aren't they small to create some bass?
Well, they’re not gonna rattle the windows with sub 60Hz, but for the particular application described, I find them quite sufficient. And while I never bothered, I guess that in the very near field - and at SPLs they’re likely to be operating at - judicious EQ from the sound player software could add weight to the balance without exceeding excursion limits.
Of course there is always the option of a pair of good sealed headphones. I recently acquired some Bluetooth enabled Sennheisers, and they work quite nicely.
I'm looking shops only from Europe, like soundimports, audiophonics.

As addition, that new chn110 driver from Mark Audio also looks very promising. I did a sim on factory specs and a 35l porte cabinet could work very well till 35hz (if the specs are right). It’s maybe a little bigger than you wish, but it surely will give real bass in a small package. I did not build it off course as we are still waiting for the driver to arrive in our shops in Europe. Corona did put everything with a huge delay...

Last edited by a moderator:
That’d certainly work too, but until we hear from mulder as to what would be the largest enclosure size he could accommodate for this application, I’d tend towards something smaller than 35l. Dave, your micros and millis for the 3 - 4” drivers are what volumes, again?

1st. The baffle can be max 25cm x 40cm or 25cm x 1.10m
and 25cm depth. (15cm from the back wall) This is the maximum
enclosure,I think match smaller it can do the job. The room is almost 9 cubic meters small.
No subwoofer for me please.

2nd. What required the near field listening? I suppose the 6.5 or 8" can play some smooth bass without turn up the volume. I realize that from my last diy speakers with 4" fullrange ( wharfedale, in 16x26x11 box) Can I go for floorstand speakers in the near field or I will be out of the sweet spot. My listening position is one meter.

3red. The budget must stay as it can be low and shopping from Europe only because of high overseas taxes here in Greece!

4.For low cost , I can buy from a friend a pair of Fostex 167e(6.5") for 100€ or a pair visaton b200 (8")for 100€ or I can buy visaton bg20 ,remove the wizzles and add a tweeter?

5. I like this one too 18W-8434G00
and it's not so expensive.

Attachments

• 20200311_010654.jpg
    20200311_010654.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 20200311_010854.jpg
    20200311_010854.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I’m starting to sound like a broken record (remember those?), but I think that a 6” is larger than you’d need, but if that’s what you want, the FF165WK would be a much better bet than the long discontinued 167.
Again, based on a fair bit of experience with all below, my short list of the two named brands would be:
Mark Audio
- Pluvia11, if you really need the larger size;
- Alpair 7.3;
- Pluvia 7HD; I’m using an earlier pair of this model as front height surrounds in my 7.1 system*, but haven’t heard the HDs yet. I understand they are essentially the A7.3 “drive train” in new shallower profile Pluvia style basket that I’d imagine will eventually find its way to most of the line not using stamped metal baskets- i.e. the latter being most of the CHN, I think?
- Alpair 6; I’m using a pair of the metals as rear surrounds in the 7.1 system.

Fostex
-FF165WK; as with the Pluvia11, more than I think this system really needs.
-FF105WK;
-FF85WK;
Definitely not the FE126En for this application . It has lots of strengths, but to my ear, extended bass response in a compact enclosure, and smooth upper mids at near field distances are not among them.

*This system has been described elsewhere, but here it is again:
Approx 340 a ft room, listening position measured at 12 from front wall by the DSP protocol.
- Onkyo TX NR818 receiver;
- Alpair 10.3 at front row L/C/R. Pensils for L/R mains, Planet10 compact vented centre, with some name I can never remember);
- Pluvia 7 front height (definitely worth it to my ears). Planet10 dMarKen I think they’re called?;
- Alpair 6 rear surrounds, in another Planet10 design;

Subs
- Stereo Hypex UCD180;
- 2 Eastech OEM 8” woofers in small sealed boxes.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Some considerations for EU based suppliers:

Sonido.hu - beautiful fullrangers, maybe too large for this (I own two pairs)
Die Klangmanufaktur | Die Klangmanufaktur - some interesting fullrangers, I have a small one in a horn
Visaton and Monacor make some interesting small fullrangers
FaitalPro 3FE22/25 is really great - and you can build this unconventional project with them: My 34c9 (omnidirectional full range with 3FE22) build

To get some low end from small speakers, I think you will need to boost the bass a bit.

And my secret tip is to get some second-hand KEF dual concentric loudspeakers. I have iQ3s (bought for 200 Eur) and I use them exactly as you intend - low volume listening when the family is sleeping - with a small 2 W SET amplifier. If the boxes are too big, you can rebuild them with the same volume into a floorstander.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.