Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Thank you again, you definitely convinced me towards 11ms plus FHXL.

I've seen some FHXL with a triangle deflector behind them, but not so many infos here. Is it used to make the rear wall be part of the horn? To better couple the speaker to the rear wall? What is the benefit and how to implement it?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It essentially increases the length of the horn and the size of the mouth.

The idea developed by Ron Clarke with his first Austins.

layertone-austin2.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Certainlt supraBaffles can help. Lots of possible shapes.

Ideal would look like a B&W midPod set over the top of the horn, simple, just to make it easy to swap drivers is just an extra bit flush with the edges. I wonder how something derived from the very specifically designed 5 petal flower used as n OB might be interesting.

dave

Dave, Chris, Ron and I would have liked it too -unfortunately, Ring Audio failed to acknowledge their box was a Mk1 Frugel-horn with the driver stuck in a sphere on the top. The terms-of-use we clearly specify for commercial use were / are not very onerous, and their attempts at justification, even claiming that they 'exchanged ideas' with us (an euphemism for 'we provided them with plans') did not do them any favours.

Be that as it may, the pod Ring Audio used is OK-ish, but better is the extended taper B&W use like the attached.

Attachments

• 801d4.jpg
    801d4.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 167
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Before Ring i did corresond a lot with the “designer”. They well knew the restrictions.

I am not taling about a pod on top, the pod would envelope the top of the FH leaving the driver in the same place (more or less). This just disguises the rectangular portaion of the box at the top where the driver is.

It could be prototyped with a carved styrofoam shape that fits over the top of the horn (rear mounting the driver).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
At the frequencies involved a stepped, or flat-sided shape is little different than a smooth one, just avoid sgharp corners.

In this image you can see some thots about stepped “supraBaffle” that emulate the B&W midPod. This BTW is Maiko, the more exotic BVR Scott & i have done, for a very expensive driver, NLA, and IMO not all that good.

Maiko-early-braces.gif

dave