Frugel-Horn Mk3

Has anybody used a removable side panel? It'd be nice to be able to be able to remove a panel to adjust the stuffing but I can't think of a way to get it to seal tight without using some type of weather stripping which would look awful

We did that on at least one of the early prototypes to validate calculations of fill levels, and yes the weatherstripping and numerous screws on removable side panel wasn't a pretty combination, but once "dialed in" I permanently glued it up, and with a little bondo and veneer, you'd never know.

What a couple of builders have done is fabricated with the top panel removable, which allows access to both sections of fold - albeit rather tight for the rear "upper" closed portion. Would still require gasketing to seal, but a much smaller piece to be patched up later.

Whichever method you try, I'd recommend some type of open mesh screening glued or stapled across the line, approx half way down the front expanding section to prevent any fill below the driver from shifting out of place.

Any frugal horn owners in Atlanta

Hi Guys,

I have been reading about the frugal horn and have only read good things. i am very curious to hear on how they sound. I would like to build one but since i already have decent pair of speakers i want to make sure that its worth the investment. I would greatly appreciate if any one in and around Atlanta would be willing to let me listen to theirs.

Thanks

nbriles2000, from my experience single full-range/wideband driver speakers don't do metal very well. At lower SPL maybe ok, but not a very dynamic sound. Cone size matters and the speaker needs to deliver in the 60-200 Hz range. FR units can go lower in bass, but typically don't deliver the slam or "energy". My guess is that a four driver/cabinet Microtowers type of speaker with CHN-70 might be able to do a better job, but this is untested. 2 way systems for metal are smaller, cheaper, simpler to build.

Last edited:
There are a few stock questions I like to pose in such situations, a couple of of which you've already answered:

1) Venue / application - i.e. room size, and for music only, or combined with HT / movie playback
2) Type of program material / listening levels
3) Available power

What are the characteristics of systems have you heard perform this type of material to your satisfaction?

While a "FAST" type 2 way might be more than capable,, it could well be that a single driver FR system of any type wouldn't quite make it sing for you.