frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
attachment.php

Attachments

• GoldwoodTerminals.jpg
    GoldwoodTerminals.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 915
Used hundreds of those over the years, along with some the fancyass WBT & clones, Cardas, etc types for bespoke builds, and after a couple of tries I totally lost interest in trying to actively listen for any improvement elicited by the boutique types. Of course if I did detect a difference, it would have almost certainly been confirmation bias at play.

Dave,

Thanks for sharing the images.

itsikhefez,

Assuming that you have a set of properly working binding posts, an "upgrade" to something more expensive or better looking is unlikely to give you sonic improvements.

However, if you are looking for something visually slightly more attractive (depending on personal preference of course :)), these can be a choice without spending much $$:

Round Speaker Terminal Cup 2-15/16" Gold Binding Post Banana Jack

Bonjour

Je suis français désolé de ne pas m'exprimer dans votre langue

J'ai fabriqué un FHMk3

Bien que le HP Fostex FE126EN ne soit pas rodé je cherche à améliorer la réponse dans le grave.

Je test le système de déflecteur arrière qui apporte à mes oreilles une meilleure assise dans le registre grave (fabrication de prototype)

Est ce que certain d'entre vous auraient les cote de ce déflecteur ?

Merci pour vos réponse et bonne journée

Philippe

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Philippe.
:cop:
It is a site rule to post only in English language. diyAudio Rules

Please use the Google translator like I did.

Hello

I'm French sorry to not speak in your language

I made a FHMk3

Although the HP Fostex FE126EN is not grounded I am trying to improve the response in the bass.

I test the rear baffle system which brings to my ears a better seat in the low register (prototype manufacture)

Would some of you have the odds of this deflector?

Thank you for your answer and have a nice day

Philippe

I'm finally back to my horns after a long time diverted on other projects primarilly building a garden office. That’s all but done and my horns have found a new home there in front of my desk.

My solution to the binding posts was to mount them on base at the mouth of the horn. I then rebated the rear of the base to route the cables. I just thought if the cables are going to trail the floor may as well put them down there already.

Another reason for not doing much with the horns was that I did not like thier sound I found them well, just too fatiguing and not having any means of measurement I had no idea what was going on. So, I invested in a UMIK-1 and somehow a MiniDSP 2x4HD landed in the cart. After playing with REW for a little while and fumbling around I’m now enjoying the speakers and getting some hours in. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5606.JPG
    IMG_5606.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_5607.jpg
    IMG_5607.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Speakers in listening position.png
    Speakers in listening position.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 401
garym999,

There are quite a few people who did not find the Alpair 7P to their liking, and tend to prefer the sound of other 4" MA drivers, like the metal cone Alpair 7.3.

It's good if your application of DSP is resulting in a more positive experience for you.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Can you post some pre-EQ measures?

There is a thread here somewhere where a fellow shows how he worked to tame the A7p issues ast the source, something i’d like to figure out, i have at least a half-dozen not treated yet.

My current treatment and very long break-in goes a lng way, but i wish this had come out with the same sonic signiature shared with the A6.2p and A10p.

My 1st guess is that the stiffenin gribs on the back are a major contibutor to the problem.

dave

Gary, I think your above post contradicts the legend on bottom of graph . I’ve heard the 7P and while I definitely prefer the A7.3, I wouldn’t describe the former exactly as harsh, as compared say to a Fostex FE126 - whose more forward upper midrange presentation I do find a bit fatiguing, particularly on certain solid state amps, like cheaper class D.
I don’t think the FH3 is the problem, and if you’re in a position to lend your ear to a pair of A7.3, or any of the newer metal coned MA drivers in that size range - in any enclosure - I think you could quickly confirm that maybe the 7P is just not your cup of tea.

Sorry gents, yes red/blue swapped. The text on the graph is correct

It’s running on Toms Mod86 based amp I built but I have tried it on a Linn I have too.

At least with the DSP I can give it some listening now. Prior to this I did play a little with BSC but lacked the means to measure it.

These are my first FR speakers and I am impressed overall. They should be well run in now. I have considered alternative drivers but would like to try and tame these more first.

PS on a leaning cliff with the DSP, mic and REW so if you see anything amiss please let me know.

I’ve heard the 7P and while I definitely prefer the A7.3, I wouldn’t describe the former exactly as harsh, as compared say to a Fostex FE126

The first time I heard the 7P's up at Dave's, that's exactly what they sounded like. If you'd have put a blindfold on me, I would have sworn that they were Fostex drivers that needed a lot of break-in time.

jeff