Free Parts Essay Contest

Derfy,

Your package is on the way. You should have it before Friday. Please be sure to review it here accurately and let me know how the bits do for you. Others seem to be unable to provide their addresses! Cal particularly wimped out. Be sure to mention if there are things in the package that would be W.A.F. or G.F.A.F. But don't let a G.F. see them prematurely!

Now if anyone else wants free parts and other interesting stuff, all they need to do is write a bit about what they need and why the deserve it.

Cool, I won't do a deboxing, as that's what the cool kids do and we all know better than that. :)

Having neither a GF nor a W, we shall indeed see if it has D.A.F.!

Thanks, Ed,
Daniel

OK, I'll play, even though arguably I should be getting rid of stuff I will almost certainly never use up.

I do know why I tend to hoard,
One day I will be out of room and board,
The Mrs won't blow any kisses,
If I get more stuff by answering quizzes.

As for what I would be interested in, that would be DAC-related IC's and high voltage bipolars and MOSFET's.

As for worthiness I'll just say I've been out of work long enough to not mention how long.

OK, I'll play, even though arguably I should be getting rid of stuff I will almost certainly never use up.

I do know why I tend to hoard,
One day I will be out of room and board,
The Mrs won't blow any kisses,
If I get more stuff by answering quizzes.

As for what I would be interested in, that would be DAC-related IC's and high voltage bipolars and MOSFET's.

As for worthiness I'll just say I've been out of work long enough to not mention how long.

PM me an address.

Ed -- it arrived a day early! Thank you and much appreciated. Some lovely low-volt parts and look forward to assembling the rotary switch, but especially putting the lathe tools to work. :)

*Little did you know, but I recently picked up a Emco compact 5 cnc for the cost of a good meal and am enjoying the process of modernizing it to early 2000's servos/motion control, but still have yet to sort out my tooling and tool holders, which, as you know, will be the real expense.

@DPH; What'll be the first thing you'll make with it?

OK, I'm the one who whimped out. At the rate I'm going with projects, any parts I pick will probably end up in my estate. I seem to have plenty to keep me busy and even those poly caps - c'mon, when would I really use them? I, think I'll let others enjoy - it was fun writing the short poem.

^ Well I *did* mention I need these parts like another hole in my head, but at least I can fill them nicely with some smaller industrial film caps. :)

WRT lathe, probably taking inspiration from this fine gentleman. Why the weird thread? - Modifying the mini lathe - Episode 27 - YouTube

(Ironically, the first major part will probably be small bits to *improve* the lathe, then, if it fits, see if I can redo the spindle bore on my dad's drill press, which is a mess right now.)

Derfy,

Of course I knew you needed left and right cutting carbide bits along with a thread cutting bit. After all I am psychotic or something like that! Did you find the items to hide from a future GF for a bit of time at least? Did you test them on say glass?

You should have enough parts to build a reasonably good preamp, except for the case and power cord.

Next we can talk about proper use of a reamer to restore a Morse taper. One of my first projects was to make a spindle for a small drill press. That was in 1966!

Last edited:
Hah! Yes, I saw them, but no, didn't test them against glass. Might take them into work and see if I can find polishing marks, though. How am I supposed to silver solder them on to a shank with that cut, though? :)

Pretty sure I don't have the torque for reaming the taper (pretty sure its JT2), so the plan is to interpolate the taper with a boring bar. It *is* a cnc for a reason. :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mr. Ed,
Wilbur here.
I arrived home before the regular delivery time only to find that the parcel carrier must have plans for the long weekend. It appears he was here a couple hours earlier than usual. Therefore I have this nice colourful piece of paper from Canada Post indicating I can pick up my beloved gift anytime after 13:00 tomorrow. I intend to be there at 13:01 and will report back as soon as I return. This is of course dependant on whether or not Mrs. Weldon requires chauffeuring before and/or after the pick up.
Either way, I am looking forward to it and thank you in advance.

Mr. Ed,
Wilbur again.
I have received my early christmas present from you. When I opened it, I was astounded to see how many goodies were in that box. I might even have to ask some people what some of those even are. :)
I was also surprised to see the postage. You are more than a little generous.
I am thinking about what I might do for you in return.
Oh, and the Mrs. will have a popping good time because of you.
Cheers

Cal

Most of those are cross over parts. Even the shiny ones, you might use if you ever crossover! ;) !!!

Now why is there no one else interested in parts?

I suspect my next step is to add PCBs to make more complete kits.

This weeks project was to make a tone motor power supply for Hammond organs so they can be run from a generator. Requires an output of 110 volts, 10 watts at a very precise 60 hertz.

Ed, I am not a part of the FR crowd. While I love to see the progress and have been impressed, I am still going with cubic inches.
Oh BTW, We found 3 more things in the bottom of the box. Hanh has a big smile on her face ;) PM me if you wish tell us about their origin.
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_3678.jpg
    IMG_3678.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 183