Format and Audio Ripping Discussion Split From Blowtorch Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
h_a said:
Honestly, when I see how little success the wiki here has

One day we'll have a full fledged Wiki, in conjunction with a discussion thread.
I can't wait to see what an improvement this will be.
Imagine the essence of a topic condensed on a well structured page…

Vinyl to CD is one of my occupation. When the source is real good and one masters the software well (took me much trial and error over the years) the results can be exceptionally good. There, another topic for a Wiki page. :)

/Hugo

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, I have also noticed a massive difference in the recording quality between CD's - so like a few people earlier on this thread have commented, the recording and mastering engineers have a huge impact on the final sound of a CD (and an LP for that matter). Some recordings CD's just sound natural and open (e.g. Elian Elias 'Something for You') while others really sound terrible (e.g. Roma Trio - I don't know what they did to this CD but it sounds gross).

Pavel, on e of th e very best recrodings I ever heard was the Berliner Orchestra playing Swan Lake (Deutche Gramaphone recording) - stunning, so 60dB dynamic range can sound good. Thanks for correcting my geography btw and apologies if I offended - arigato gozaimaas as they say here in Japan.

:)

h_a said:

Just do a google for FLAC or lossless audio you'll get swamped by the results. Don't forget to use a proper ripper like EAC (exact audio copy, for free at http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ ) so that you do get a genuine bit copy on your harddisc.

I took the ripper that came with my daughters keychain mp3 player and ripped at 8x several long cuts from different CD's and used EAC on the same cuts. I then transfered them as raw data to my UNIX workstation and did a byte by byte diff. No difference. I had to get to a completely unplayable totally scratched CD to get 2 one bit errors in a 23min cut.

In retrospect, the most interesting thing to me in this exercise was that the later CD was unplayable in any CD player I tried, but even the most ordinary ripper on my computer was able to recover it almost perfectly even at 8x speed.

Dear Scott, I'm glad you got excellent results! However, don't forget it depends on the CD/DVD-drive. Some have poor reading capabilities and equally poor hardware error correction. Quality has its price. AFAIK the only program checking what the drive read & corrected is EAC.

Of course, if one finds that some other ripper suits equally well, feel free to use it!

All the best, Hannes

PS: oh and honestly I would not put Scott onto the mp3-Wiki wish list :D It feels a bit like Nelson Pass on Wine. Or John Curl on Porsche. (However would be interesting reading for sure!)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Best ripper I've found so far is EAC with Accurate Rip:

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

http://www.accuraterip.com/

Since last year EAC comes with Accurate Rip integrated as standard. All you need is a Key Disc to find the read offset for your drive(s) and away you go - perfect rips every time.

Using this setup you can rip an entire CD within minutes and have 100% certainty that you either got a 1:1 copy or fixed any error on the disc and got a 1:1 copy of an undamaged disc.

pma:

i agree about these recordings! i was introduced to them several years ago when i met the producer at the chicago ces. i've got about 7 of these cds. whenever i take them to friend's houses to listen to their systems, my friends constantly try to misplace them so i can't take them back home with me.

as the saying goes, you can pry them from my cold, dead fingers ...

:)

mlloyd1

PMA said:
But there are examples of well-recorded CDs, not only classical, and better than vinyl. You may try

http://www.marecordings.com/

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
h_a said:
Dear Scott, I'm glad you got excellent results! However, don't forget it depends on the CD/DVD-drive. Some have poor reading capabilities and equally poor hardware error correction. Quality has its price. AFAIK the only program checking what the drive read & corrected is EAC.

Of course, if one finds that some other ripper suits equally well, feel free to use it!

All the best, Hannes

PS: oh and honestly I would not put Scott onto the mp3-Wiki wish list :D It feels a bit like Nelson Pass on Wine. Or John Curl on Porsche. (However would be interesting reading for sure!)

Dear Hans,

Please consider that that cheap, poor hardware reads all those 100's of megabytes of software faultlessly, everytime you install a new software package, or everytime you make a backup on CD.
The reality is that even the cheapest 10$ drive perfectly reads the bits off the CD. Audio or software, no difference. They all depend on the same built-in error correction.

Jan Didden

janneman said:

The reality is that even the cheapest 10$ drive perfectly reads the bits off the CD. Audio or software, no difference. They all depend on the same built-in error correction.

Actually, the error correction of data CDs is different from and much more robust than that of audio CDs. In addition, audio CDs have the read offset issue which gets in the way of accurate rips.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
andy_c said:

Actually, the error correction of data CDs is much more robust than that of audio CDs. In addition, audio CDs have the read offset issue which gets in the way of accurate rips.

Hey Andy. Read offset can be accurately and reliably taken care of with EAC and Accuraterip as I detailed above. It does however need a one time calibration and this must be done with a known disc that's in the accuraterip key disc database.

Edit: woay, tons of replies while I was typing...anyway:

Dear Jan, this is unfortunately not correct. Error correction is largely different. You need to separate between standard error correction and the additional bitsnbytes that are reserved for error correction by the Red Book standard.

Please believe me - or even better don't believe me and read up the articles on the internet!

Error correction is different. The CD/DVD-drive does recognize what it reads and treats differently! Same for dvd-rippers by the way. There are drives out there that read DVDs slower than CDs...why? To hinder the consumer makeing probably illegal copies.

All the best, Hannes

from the FAQ (I know an insufficient answer, please search the net!)

Audio extraction is purely digital, how could unremarked errors occur?

The data transmission itself is purely digital and also the data stored on the CD. But the Red Book standard (standard for audio CDs) is very weak and only little error correction will be performed in the drive. So on bad CD-ROM drives it is possible that you receive erroneous results.

mlloyd1 said:
pma:

i agree about these recordings! i was introduced to them several years ago when i met the producer at the chicago ces. i've got about 7 of these cds. whenever i take them to friend's houses to listen to their systems, my friends constantly try to misplace them so i can't take them back home with me.

I am glad you have the same experience. There are good recordings, we only have to try hard to find them. Our hobby is a niche, and average consumers dictate different standards than those we are willing to accept ....

ShinOBIWAN said:

Hey Andy. Read offset can be accurately and reliably taken care of with EAC and Accuraterip as I detailed above. It does however need a one time calibration and this must be done with a known disc that's in the accuraterip key disc database.

Yup. dBpoweramp also does this, but it's not free. There was a discussion over at Audio Asylum about the relative merits of EAC and dBpoweramp here.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
andy_c said:

Yup. dBpoweramp also does this, but it's not free. There was a discussion over at Audio Asylum about the relative merits of EAC and dBpoweramp here.

Thanks for the link Andy.

I've tried dBpoweramp but as you say its not free and we all like something for nothing every now and then :) From my own experiences, EAC and dBpoweramp gave the same results so I stuck with EAC and accuraterip.

Slightly off topic but I remember a few years ago where you had to literally buy a couple of drives in order to get decent result because some drives were incapable of bit perfect ripping. Plextor was always a safe bet back then but nowadays even cheap drives and combi drives work fine once setup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.