Format and Audio Ripping Discussion Split From Blowtorch Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
janneman said:
I like the bit where they compare the checksum of the rip with the original master over the internet. presumably, that original master is available *somewhere* ?

Sounds like what they're talking about is just the AccurateRip database. EAC is free and incorporates this feature.

A couple of years ago I was skeptical of the AccurateRip database, because I have a lot of obscure jazz albums that weren't in it. But I've since started using it again, and am very pleasantly surprised. Lots more people are using it now and submitting their results, so it's much more likely to find matches.

Dear Scott, don't get me wrong! I would not let you get away easily either :D - I would put you on dozens of wiki-wish lists and after that - if you have still energy left - you can write the mp3-wiki :D*

By the way, I'm pretty sure that I read once that somebody did RIAA in software. I imagine that to be very easy, since one basically only needs to Fourier-transform, multiply with the RIAA and backtransform the signal. Or convolute directly, as you wish. I don't see yet how ticks and pops may mess things up.

After all this avoids the phase changes due to passive RIAA-networks.

In digital a lot is possible, like removing ticks and pops in frequency space, which should be not that difficult. Of course at the expense that one removes also bits from music now and then.

All the best, Hannes

*oh and a schematic of your phono stage is also high on my wishlist :cool:

andy_c said:

It's not a detail if the number of samples of silence at the beginning (or end) of the WAV file you're burning, then ripping, is less than the drive offset, and the drive cannot read into the lead-in (or lead-out as appropriate). If there is no silence at beginning or end of the WAV file, and no lead-in/lead-out reading capability in the reader/burner, you'll never get the missing non-zero data back on a burn/rip cycle. It will be permanently lost.

I am under the impression that Redbook requires two seconds of silence at the beginning of a CD.

So, to properly burn the wav file posted above, your burner software should have added the two seconds of silence and a lead-out space.

planet10 said:

Probably more than one

Final Vinyl

dave

I'd probably write my own plug-in for Audition. I did write my own pop remover, the big negative was that you had to find each one by hand. I used a third order polynomial interpolation after picking a start and stop point with the mouse. It was way more transparent than the FFT techniques that came with Cooledit.

rossl said:
I am under the impression that Redbook requires two seconds of silence at the beginning of a CD.

So, to properly burn the wav file posted above, your burner software should have added the two seconds of silence and a lead-out space.

Yes, but this two second silence is part of the lead-in (that is, it's before sample number zero of the user data area). When the CD is ripped, the lead-in is excluded from the rip of the first track.

Anyway, the problem is in ripping the CD, due to possibly unreachable data in the user data area. This can be at the beginning of the first track or the end of the last track as follows:

a) If the read offset is positive and the drive cannot read into the lead-in, there will be N unreachable samples at the beginning of the first track, where N is the read offset.

b) If the read offset is negative and the drive cannot read into the lead-out, there will be -N unreachable samples at the end of the last track, where N is again the read offset.

Notes:
The read offset as specified in EAC is actually the read offset correction, which is the negative of the read offset of the drive.

The ability to read into the lead-in or lead-out as specified in EAC and other programs is somewhat of a misnomer. If a drive has a read offset of, say, 250, then the commanded read position for an actual position of 50 will be -200. If a drive is specified as unable to read into the lead-in, this command will cause an error, even though the resultant physical position would still be in the user data area (if this command worked) and not the lead-in.

The workaround in EAC is to check the option, "Fill up missing offset samples with silence". If this is not done and you use AccurateRip, and the disc data are present and correct in the AccurateRip database, you'll get a CRC mismatch on the first track if the drive's read offset is positive (negative read offset correction in EAC), or a mismatch on the last track if the drive's read offset is negative (positive read offset correction in EAC). If there is insufficient silence at the beginning or end of the user data area (as appropriate in a or b above), then the only way to get an accurate rip of the track in question is to use a drive that can read into the lead-in or lead-out as appropriate. Fortunately, few (if any?) CDs actually have this problem. The typical read offsets of a drive correspond to milliseconds.

h_a said:

After all this avoids the phase changes due to passive RIAA-networks.

*oh and a schematic of your phono stage is also high on my wishlist :cool:

You probably do not want to digitally synthesize a non-minimum phase RIAA.

I have found the board, I will trace it but people will be dissapointed. It was an experiment in "what can I do with only 4 pairs each of 2SK146/2SJ74". I'm terrible about tracking down parts for projects.

The LP's sounded great to me and the couple where I hand removed the pops surprised people, one guy thought I had access to the master tape.

Back on page one someone mentioned "why are CDs acceptable when LPs are better in quality?" Or something quite similar. I have my doubts that its all marketing and slow minded populous. I bet its more like this: You cant play an LP in your car.
Now people are moving from CD to MP3 or some variant. Whats so great about this? Again, space and convenience. I am streaming to my amp right now.. CDs sound better and I bet the biggest reason is that the DAC in my CDP is better than in my streaming router. But its nice to use a remote to change songs or listen to a playlist.
Uriah

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.