fonken floorstanders mkII in progress

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
stevodude said:
Well, I didn't get a chance to take enclosures down for a finish yet, but...

thought I'd whip up some speaker grills as Saturday had some kids over, and they were sticking their ears right into the drivers, so sticking their sticky fingers in there is probably no far off...

Close-ish shot

Stevodude: you managed to make the cabinet very interesting from a bland rectanglular box, very nice.

gychang

gee, I'm a bit of a slow worker here...
damn kids gettin in the way of my hobbies :)

anyway, I've since pulled the enclosures down, and I am coating them slowly... about 1 coat per week at this rate.
have 3 coats of 50/50 white spirit/varnish, but still not enough, so probably do another 2 coats, and then melt some bees wax down and do 3 or 4 coats with some steel wool, hopefully will come up nice.
Then 1/3 fill base with quarz, and put speaker grill mounts in ( instead of the velcro I was using).
so these have/will probably take me just over 1 year to complete... hahaha...
mind you I've also JUST finished my cubbyhouse for my 2 little girls within the same time period :), layed about 400 pavers, and drunk plenty of beer...

And I should have some finished photo's of fonkens in a couple of weeks, if anyone's interested.

I know everyone likes wood, so here's my almost completed cubby house :) made completely from a house that was to be demolished. Only stuff I bought new was the concrete for the posts and the 4 round poles, the rest is old floorboards and 3x2 hardwood/pine.

CRW_2574.jpg

well I'm done, and damn if I do miss that sound!....

The clarity is... incredible.

the average 'mate' would go 'they look ok dude, but how loud'... so these aren't your bragin box's, but man, throw on a bit of Sting live or even the old Phil Colins hahaha, and they are just beautifull sounding.

but on some modern 'rock' with average recording and they sound just like that, average...

put on some live accoustic live John Butler Trio and they sing like an angel :)

updated pickies with 5 coats of polyurithane and some beeswax combo on some raw dodgy old marine ply hehehe

I did this so I can get an idea of what I need to do for my curvy changs :) they is gonna be cut at the shop so it'd be more accurate and easier for me to laminate sand and coat with probably a few more ie 8 coats -plus a nice beezwax finish.

I should have spent more time on the initial sanding, but overall they look OK, nice and shiney, good enough for my first effort I think. At east better than un varnished.
Drilled hole in the back bottom space and 1/2 filled with basalt rock (tiny/small/medium chuncks), I thought they would buzz, but causes no noise whatsoever, and gives them a bit more weight as they are quite easy to knock over ( my 1.4yr old has tested that theory). but now with another 2kg in the base, they are much more stable.

awaiting some speaker grill clips to mount, then its back into the lounge upstairs, then onto my swoopy chang's I think, which will be a bit longer than 1 year to build :), sorry fellas, I can't build at the speed you guys do! but this time I'm going to get the plans cut by a cabinet maker.

CRW_2916_filtered.jpg

CRW_2917_filtered.jpg

CRW_2919_filtered.jpg

CRW_2920_filtered.jpg

CRW_2921_filtered.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.