• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom EC7293: PVI Powered Frontend, 60/120w 8/4ohm

So I built the EC7293 a couple weeks ago. I used a Kemet cap for the input and a Nichicon ES for the feedback cap. I changed those caps out to VCAP ODAMs for the input and Audio Note standard foils for the feedback cap. These caps completely transformed this amp. The biggest difference is the feedback cap. With the Nichicon, there was too much low mid bloom, the soundstage was smeared and it sounded veiled. With the Audio note cap, the veil was lifted and the soundstage is now the best I've ever heard from an amp. Its even better than my PS Audio BHK Monos.

So I built the EC7293 a couple weeks ago. I used a Kemet cap for the input and a Nichicon ES for the feedback cap. I changed those caps out to VCAP ODAMs for the input and Audio Note standard foils for the feedback cap. These caps completely transformed this amp. The biggest difference is the feedback cap. With the Nichicon, there was too much low mid bloom, the soundstage was smeared and it sounded veiled. With the Audio note cap, the veil was lifted and the soundstage is now the best I've ever heard from an amp. Its even better than my PS Audio BHK Monos.

I'm glad you really like it! Since the start I've recommended the Rubycon ZL for a feedback capacitor, not the ES... but people keep using the ES.

Do/Folsom,

Is there any way to easily reduce the overall gain of this circuit without screwing up feedback, bandwith, stability, etc...? My digital source has plenty of output voltage ~ 5VRMS. I am looking for 20dB or so.

Great build Do, as usual!

Best,
Anand.

We have a tweak that can get to 24~ but can't promise the same performance at that.

Did these capacitors fit ok on the board or did you need to mount it external?

I know basic soldering (assembled speaker classifiers a few times) and am wondering if I should pull out the soldering iron to try these upgrades.

Did these capacitors fit ok on the board or did you need to mount it external?

I know basic soldering (assembled speaker classifiers a few times) and am wondering if I should pull out the soldering iron to try these upgrades.

The VCAPs will fit on the board, I had to angle them a little and bend the leads in using the outer most hole. The Audio Note caps that go into C3 are smaller than the space for the cap. I would actually put in a socket header for the feedback cap. Jeremy has a link to it in the build guide. That way different caps can be tried without having to de-soldier and re-soldier multiple times and risk damaging the traces. I am actually going to do that so that I can try more caps in that position. If you are going to try vcap odams, be careful soldering them, use lower heat and limit the soldering time. Those caps can be damaged if overheated from soldier.

Tonight I finally had a good amount of time to make some serious listening of the Folsom mono-blocs. After playing around with different DACs and preamps, I settled on the following...

Source : Roon, streaming from main library and Tidal
DAC : Doge 7
Preamp : USSPA designed by Fab
Amplifier : Folsom mono-blocks
Speakers : Troels Gravesen ATS-4

I mainly listened to Jazz albums
- Dexter Gordon - Dexter Calling Remastered 2015
- Miles Davis - Kind of Blue 24/192 remastered. I also just bought the 50th anniversary special edition and looking at the UHQR limited edition... Very tempting!
- The TBM Sounds Ultra HD 32-bit mastering
- Diana Krall - Live in Paris
- Hugh Masekela - Hope (especially Stimela (The Coal Train)

Then moved on to some rock music
- Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
- Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

And then some more progressive style music
- Jorane - 16mm
- Jorane - (Dix)

And some more listening on classical

I can say that I'm really pleased with the Folsom amplifier. The amp shows really good bass response, fast, punchy and articulate. Where I find the amplifier shine at its best is the midrange, especially on human voices. You can probably understand I particularly enjoyed listening to jazz with these mono-blocks. The mid-band seems to be tilted up just a notch so you can hear details buried in many records that you would only hear at much higher volume in other amplifiers, I mean, the gain of the amp must also be responsible. In the end, it is a pleasing experience and also in some cases, a record rediscovery. The amplifier does not show any signs of glaring in the upper frequency and to my ears, it is a good thing. Your mileage may vary depending on the gear pairing you make, as it is always a balance in the end. I really enjoyed the huge soundstage the the amplifier throws at you, not over exaggerated, but very convincing and instruments seem to be at credible height. In some other preamplifier pairing (ex , Mirand preamp), I've noticed that due to the high gain of the amplifier, if your preamplifier or source is a little noisier, you will notice it much more through the speakers at low and moderate levels, but my USSPA preamplifier is a totally silent preamplifier and noise floor was way better than when using the Mirand preamplifier. So this is something to consider when pairing equipment.

All in all, it is a very pleasing sounding amplifier with a clever error correction design from Jeremy. I've never heard a TDA7293 sounding that good, actually, you would never know it is a chipamp!

All the best!
Do

My First Question

I am a total newbie with very low experience (like "monkey with a soldering iron" :smash: level of experience) who just got his PCBs today. Thank you for that Mr. Destroyer!

I am throwing together my parts order and your testimonial has swayed me in the direction of the VCAP ODAMs for my input caps.

So my first of what is sure to be many questions to come: Is there any reason I should try a higher value than 2.2uf? Or were your results with that value?

I will be driving NX-Tremes with the amp if that matters at all in the selection.

Thanks!

The VCAPs will fit on the board, I had to angle them a little and bend the leads in using the outer most hole. The Audio Note caps that go into C3 are smaller than the space for the cap. I would actually put in a socket header for the feedback cap. Jeremy has a link to it in the build guide. That way different caps can be tried without having to de-soldier and re-soldier multiple times and risk damaging the traces. I am actually going to do that so that I can try more caps in that position. If you are going to try vcap odams, be careful soldering them, use lower heat and limit the soldering time. Those caps can be damaged if overheated from soldier.

mkrawcz, did you pay attention to the polarity of the ODAM caps while soldering? VH Audio suggests the shorter lead to go to the shortest path to ground, but I am not sure which way that is on this board.

V-Cap Audio Capacitor Installation Notes

I am a total newbie with very low experience (like "monkey with a soldering iron" :smash: level of experience) who just got his PCBs today. Thank you for that Mr. Destroyer!

I am throwing together my parts order and your testimonial has swayed me in the direction of the VCAP ODAMs for my input caps.

So my first of what is sure to be many questions to come: Is there any reason I should try a higher value than 2.2uf? Or were your results with that value?

I will be driving NX-Tremes with the amp if that matters at all in the selection.

Thanks!
My results are with the 2.2uf value. As for a higher value, I guess that would be a question for Jeremy. This amp powering NX-Tremes will make you a very happy person. :)

VCAPs are non-polarized so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have them in the same direction on both channels. The direction with the shorter lead is about the outside foil and supposedly adds some shielding, but I don't think it has any noticeable effect, also the case of the capacitor is all metal so its already well shielded.

Last edited:
So I did the capacitor upgrade, mkrawcz, and I love it!!

My old feedback capacitor was Elna silmic II and input cap was RIFA. The input capacitor is v-cap ODAM 2.2uf 400V and the feedback is audionote standard 1000uf 16V, the combination suggested by mkrawcz. Before installing I burnt in the ODAMs for 3 days by putting it in series with some old speakers and running music through at low volume.

After installation sound improved over 3-4 days.

The new sound is more detailed, slightly warmer. The soundstage went from v. good to incredible. In retrospect the old caps gave some edginess/business to the sound. Now the sound is v. relaxed; if you turn the volume up a lot, you almost don't notice.

Thanks, Destroyer OS, pinocchio (whose superb electronic skills I got to appreciate while working on the capacitor change) and mkrawcz.

system: Roon -> Bricasti M1SE -> Folsom 7293 -> Spatial X3. (Cabling is DIY using VH Audio products.)

ps Others who want to put in V-caps should note that according to Chris Venhaus the owner of V-cap, reports of long burn-in times on V-cap is exaggerated. He says he burns in all caps for 100 hrs and a further 100 hrs of use should get them almost fully burnt in.

Last edited:
I am planning to build this in a box like this.

I was wondering if anybody can suggest part numbers at digikey for mounting the circuit board to the box. I need standoff at most 1cm. I have never done this kind of mounting. Does one need self-threading screws? What are suitable part numbers?

The parts list in the group buy didn't include this info.

Thanks for any leads and help.

Last edited:
Hi All,

It looks like I am getting very close to having most the remaining bits on the BOM heading my way in November with the final group of parts scheduled for January.

So I am thinking it is about time I ordered me a case.

Unless there is a reason not to, I plan to go with the suggested Dissipante 3U case. But as stated earlier, I am very new to all this and have a couple of questions:

- what extras (like a base plate) are must haves and not just cosmetic?
- is the aluminum upgrade worth it?
- Is there enough room for everything with the 300 mm version or should I go bigger

Any other guidance would be great!

Thank you!