• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Folded/Shunt Cascode driver for 211

I have had some time to try a couple of things on this. First, I built a simple voltage source for the base of the cascode transistor made from a CCS feeding a bypassed resistor. I then added a ZTX558 follower to drive the cascode transistor base.

Unfortunately, neither circuit has improved on the noise performance of the measurements from post 28. Is this circuit just a lot noisier than the CCS-loaded pentode? I really expected some improvement on noise performance.

I guess I'll have a look at my negative rail next but I thought it was pretty clean...

I just took a few measurements and attached here. All three are averaged spectrums during 22.5Vrms 1kHz test tone. Circuit output, negative rail, cascode base voltage, and GND.

Attachments

• 22.5Vrms-NF.png
    22.5Vrms-NF.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Neg Rail-NF.png
    Neg Rail-NF.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Base-NF.png
    Base-NF.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 51
  • GND-NF.png
    GND-NF.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 50
It certainly does not look like the supplies are creating the noise, since they only add noise to the output. Then again, the base noise is added to the output current, so if the load resistor is a very high value, that might be a driver for it.

The other noise source is the driver valve - the noise if of course stepped up by the voltage-gain factor.

It certainly does not look like the supplies are creating the noise, since they only add noise to the output. Then again, the base noise is added to the output current, so if the load resistor is a very high value, that might be a driver for it.

The other noise source is the driver valve - the noise if of course stepped up by the voltage-gain factor.
I was thinking along the same lines. I think I will set this aside for a bit and try to optimize the original 6BN11 input stage operating point in my amplifier and see what I can get out of that. Then I'll put the 6E5P in and see how performance changes in the overall amplifier.

Stay tuned. I don't work fast but I eventually get around to things.

@SpreadSpectrum how much noise do you get from it? I’m asking because with the configuration I want to try it (output tube in UNSET+UL), I need around between 250 and 300Vpp to drive it to full power, so the poweramp is not so sensitive to noise.

Have you tried the voltage regulator I wrote few posts ago?

Thanks!
Roberto
I haven't measured the noise, but I may be able to do that with the meter in my Pete Millett soundcard interface. I don't remember the bandwidth of the RMS meter in there, but I think it was at least the full audio spectrum.

The noise is visible on the scope at 50V/div at a small fraction of one division.

I haven't tried the regulator. I'll have to include it in my next order. I've got four teenaged kids so I work pretty slowly and only get short periods of time to work on this stuff.

Reactions: 1 user