Focal Newform Utopia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are spl and group delay for the proposed options.

The red line is the 15wx obviously

the white line is the 70l 33.7hz tuned 13w

the yellow line is the Sealed 10w

the blue line is the vented 10w

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 1.48.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 1.48.08 PM.png
    146 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 1.52.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 1.52.30 PM.png
    162 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 1.53.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 1.53.06 PM.png
    168.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Here is my design with low pass filters on the 15, and 13 woofers.

The rolloff on the 10 inch is almost enough to let it play unfiltered, however this is a questionable power use.

I will model it with the 10 inch in a vented cabinet, but what I am thinking is that even though the difference in group delay is negligable from the sealed cabinet to the vented cabinet, I still feel that a sealed cabinet will sound better for this woofer working in this range for this design.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 3.20.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 3.20.16 PM.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 129
That's not my simulations on post #25.
I have to say that besides they look similar they are completely offset with the woofer FOCAL AUDIOM 15WX being the more close to my simulation (not the same but close) and the others very different. I don't understand your plans. First I'm not using the simulation you are and something in there is very different (it can be the data for the drivers, or only the software more or less accurate - I'm not using WinISD and NO not all softwares are not the same) then an understanding of your target project is beyond my scope. I understand you are just testing and finding your way but that's nonsense to me. I will help you if I find convenient and interesting for your final results.

Not sure why you think thats nonsense? Its ok though :)

This is a DIY forum. I have spent 6 months of all day listening finding x over points by manually cycling through filter slopes, (with a digital x over) and x over points and phase relationships between drivers. I think its kind of ridiculous for a builder to pick a x over point and slope and build it with parts. I have tried literally hundreds of variations before coming to the best solution.

So to me messing around and listening to it is the majority of the design process.

I do have a formal education in physics and acoustics.

No problem. Just a little complicated.
Can you mention what is the main driver (maybe recap the drivers for your build as is) perhaps it was lost in the text from 1st post. I have nothing against what you're doing, listening. Active filtering is not my field anyway.

I basically got a whole bunch of focal drivers, and some new form drivers and have been experimenting for two years now, but did not try anything with the bass drivers yet. So now I was just working on the bass section.

I have Newform research r 630.

But also

a whole lot of W cones, and Berrylium tweeters from focal.

I have the mids from electro 920, the woofers,

also the 6wm from the grand utopia, but only a pair, not two pairs.

I have 8 inch woofers from the current electra line

I have another pair of W cones from an older jm lab speaker as well.

So really I am just trying to use all the drivers I can in the speaker.

I have tried crossing over the scan speak 8545 in the newform to the focal tweeter did not like it at all. I tried crossing over the 6wm to the ribbon in the new form and really really liked it.

I tried crossing over the 6wm to the beryllium and really real liked that too.

In the end I will have two different main speakers.

One will be the new form research R630 , but it will have a focal w series mid in between the ribbon and the scan speak 8545.

The other will be a three way with beryllium tweeter, focal w series mid, and focal 8 inch woofer from the current electra.

But just to confuse you more, I am watching a sale on 16 mid bass from the current electra line that I may just buy and create a very big line source with my very tall ribbon from the new form.

:)

I really like to try different combinations.

Maybe you can help me with this.

I did two 4 inch inner diameter bass ports tuned to 22 hz, and I still have considerable chuffing noise from the port.

Win ISD gives me a port velocity of around 6 ft/sec.

The cabinet is only 18 inches deep and theres lots of stuffing so really can't get longer than 13 inches.

If I build a square port I can get it down to 4.5 ft/sec port velocity.

The only other route is to cut a hole in the top and put the port along the length of the speaker. .....

Do most subs have some chuffing? Should I just let this one go or what?

Get yourself Unibox to simulate minimum recommended vent diameter
for a given power level. Better approach is to use one larger vent with
similar length than two smaller ones. Vent air speed at 200W for Focal
15wx with 2 4" vents for the same Fb has a max value of 25 m/s.

+ klhsx@ post #34,
please give:
1. net (internal) volume for the reflex enclosure you have or plan.
2. reference for the driver you ask the question
3. power you will be about to use (+/-) after you build your project. (note. some members use RMS power for the driver others use 10W-50W and others use 1 or 5 with a Triode, just that you know.)
4. but not least port tuning and chuffing noise. You can tell us if a little chuffing noise in your room is ok or not. sometimes the ports are facing a back all or you will be using low to medium power not max or RMS. Larger the ports considerable longer they will be.

1. 9.1 ft^3
2.focal audiom 15wx
3. Max power of the driver
4. Little chuffing at 25hz, almost double at 31.5 hz

This was tested with one woofer playing, in the final setup it will be two woofers playing. so I may not get it loud enough to reach the chuffing.

I am tired of cutting new faceplates ! lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.