Focal 826 Tweeter Removal

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am no voice in building speakers. But I have replaced the drivers in my definitive BP2000/BP7002/SuberCube subs. I recently bought a pair of Focal 826 V speakers. I could not listen to them when I bought them. When I got home and listened to them, I noticed both speakers have tweeter blown. I tried to get the tweeter out by one of the forum member recommendation(using two screwdrivers) and I failed ultimately and damaged it :( . My plan is that remove the tweeters from 826 V and replace them with SR 800 V (surround) tweeters. If anyone can explain the process of removing the tweeters, I would really appreciate. I have attached some photos.

Tweeter inside :
Shared album - Manikandan Krishnan - Google Photos

Tweeter Outside:
Shared album - Manikandan Krishnan - Google Photos

Thanks
Mani

Last edited:
It looks like they did the same thing Cambridge Audio did on my SX-60s... they glued the tweeters to the front of the cabinet, in a custom dress piece.

The first day I had them one of the speakers started rattling. When I pulled off the grill to check, the woofer dress ring fell out. Then when replacing the dress ring, the tweeter popped off the front of the cabinet and ended up dangling by the wires.

Contacting CA left me pretty flat, they didn't sell "those parts" separately.

I eventually solved the problem by drilling the tweeter's dress flange, putting in screws and tossing out the woofer dress rings. Not quite what I paid $450 for...

This is just bad design in every way. It totally precludes servicing and prevents upgrades or even inspections.

Have you contacted Focal to see if they will sell you replacement assemblies?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I am yet to contact them as today is sunday. I live in Phoenix and there are couple of authorized dealers here. I am planning to contact them. I was reading this thread and someone is mentioning a key

Well for those of you that might search this out and need an answer, there is a key provided by Focal to remove the tweeter while leaving the faceplate intact.

I found this out after a flat head and hammer. Fortunately it's all working now without any damage somehow.

Can anyone help me with this tweeter removal? Focal Chorus 836V

This is how I tried and failed.

Attachments

• IMG_20180428_184519 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180428_184519 (1).jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 332
I would make my displeasure known, as I did with Cambridge Audio.

Ending up scrapping a pair of $1200 towers over a blown tweeter is just not right... and I'd bet it's already happened at least once.

I'm glad you got it working... but it's a problem that a couple of screws in the back of that dress piece would have solved very easily.

Last edited:
When I pulled off the grill to check, the woofer dress ring fell out. Then when replacing the dress ring, the tweeter popped off the front of the cabinet and ended up dangling by the wires.
Dress rings! "All fur coat and no knickers"* as we say here in Scotland!

(*Having an impressive or sophisticated appearance which belies the fact that there is nothing to substantiate it.)

All speakers should have visible screws and bolts which you can tweak (just like the ones in the attached photo!). ;)

Attachments

• ATC SCM7.jpg
    ATC SCM7.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 255
I could not remove the tweeter :( I am still trying everything I could.

I would make my displeasure known, as I did with Cambridge Audio.

Ending up scrapping a pair of $1200 towers over a blown tweeter is just not right... and I'd bet it's already happened at least once.

I'm glad you got it working... but it's a problem that a couple of screws in the back of that dress piece would have solved very easily.

The CA SX-60s can be seen HERE My review is there too...

You wouldn't believe the BS I've been through with those speakers...
I've had them apart so many times I've had to rotate the woofer 45 degrees and drill new holes.
I've re-tuned the port
I've removed copious amounts of over stuffing
I've replaced their dental floss wired crossovers
I've added damping to the woofer basket
I've rewired them with 16ga wire and soldered everything
I've added a series resistor to the tweeter
I've added gaskets under the woofers
I don't even want to guess how much time I spent with REW on them

And only now, a year in, are they starting to sound proper.
But I have promised myself the next time they act up, I'm going to walk them straight down to the garbage bin.

Attachments

• 71YbAsA6T5L._SL1500_.jpg
    71YbAsA6T5L._SL1500_.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
I could not remove the tweeter :( I am still trying everything I could.

The tweeter is dead, yeah?

What is the bonding agent? If it's glued to the cabinet, I would get under that bracket with a flat tool and try lifting the entire thing off the case. Once it's off, Just grab the tweeter with some channel locks and twist...

Mounting a new tweeter will depend on what you buy to replace it, but I would not be shy about drilling a couple of holes and modifying that bracket... two to mount the new tweeter and two to mount the bracket back on the cabinet.

At least then you will not have this same problem twice.

Last edited:
That's called telling it how it is!

I've got a bit of a reputation for that.

I believe reviews should not be advertisements. The reviewer should share an equal responsibility to warn people about bad products.

I originally ordered them in for a client who wanted a "soundbar killer" with a mini-amp. When the trouble showed up I got stuck with them and he got my Elacs... not a fair trade but what was I to do?

Did you notice they are no longer available. :D

Last edited:
Wait a minute ... comparing your picture with the one from the other thread suggests there is a dress piece on top of that tweeter... The later picture shows tabs inside the dress plate. I wonder if they lock with the dress piece to hold the tweeter in.

What happens if you try rotating that dress piece?