Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
If one were to suggest an obtainable constrained layer for such a doubled up layup -
Perhaps the foamcore could be turned into a metamaterial by constraining a layer of somethin' between, with even better properties than just the two boards.

"A sandwich panel is any structure made of three layers: a low-density core, and a thin skin-layer bonded to each side. Sandwich panels are used in applications where a combination of high structural rigidity and low weight is required.

The structural functionality of a sandwich panel is similar the classic I-beam, where two face sheets primarily resist the in-plane and lateral bending loads." There are lot of houses built with SIPs (Structural Insulated Panel) all over in the world.

You said they sound almost good 'enuff that you're in no hurry to go for the wood. Just wondering what it would take to not (have to, want to) go for the wood at all?

I terms of how it sounds, of course. I too love a real wood grain finish!

If I had a table saw I would've started with wood.

Today I had them cranked up pretty loud and noticed the foam core boxes weren't completely dead. I'm certain that wood properly braced and stuffed would tighten up the bass considerably. For the next phase of the project I'm thinking about designing an aperiodic box of the same volume.

I only need three things now. First; clear out some room in the garage. Second; find a great deal on a table saw. Third; convince my wife that I need one. :D

They do have Ultrakote and it needs less heat than Monokote.

A few years back I covered a foam plane with tissue paper and water based polyurethane, once it dried I lightly sanded then coated with just the poly and it was hard and strong but very light and a much better surface to paint. You might need to seal the edges of the paper covered foam to prevent any lifting though.

I've been musing over a couple of designs recently, and then I discovered this thread showing off how the GRS 8" planar driver loads well into a horn.

After a brief chat with @xrk971 , I decided to go ahead and use @bwaslo 's spreadsheet to create a 250Hz horn, and then stretch the vertical dimension to accommodate for the rectangular shape of the driver.

I was told that the back chamber could be small, so I made it 6.5" wide, 10" tall and 1" deep.

I had some 1.75" machine bolts and nuts at hand, which allowed me to not only bolt the driver to the throat flange, but also bolt the rear chamber to the flange as well, which made life simpler - all I needed were 4 bolts and 8 nuts for each horn.

I've done a little bit of listening with them as a stereo pair, and they're very pleasant to listen to. Very accurate without sounding 'cold', and the transient response is fantastic. I did get the sensation of being enveloped in sound again, similar to that headphone effect, and the stereo separation was really accurate and created a very detailed image.

My crossover to my Bass speakers was a little high at 400Hz, so I'm not sure if I was missing any information, but I'm going to sort it out so that the crossover is at 250Hz.

All in all a quick build with a really good result. Highly recommended! :)

Attachments

• planar-horn-back.jpg
    planar-horn-back.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 287
  • planar-horn-front.jpg
    planar-horn-front.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 759
Reactions: 1 user